Favorite Snaffle Bridle? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kansas in the summer, Kentucky most of the time
Posts: 3,028
• Horses: 3
A crank is basically like a regular noseband except instead of attaching it right to the buckle, you loop it through once and then buckle it.
Here's one:http://www.sustainabledressage.com/t...k_noseband.gif

I think you're thinking of a flash noseband: http://www.horsedata.biz/acatalog/Sa...shNoseband.jpg

this is a drop noseband. I don't know anyone who uses them personally but I think they are more popular in other countries: http://www.horses-in-sport-online-sa...p_noseband.jpg


I went to a clinic for work this weekend with a lady that is all about safety. She was doing a tack demo and I asked her what the purpose of the crank was. She said there really wasn't a difference in the regular cavesson and the crank. It just evens out the pressure under the jaw a bit more.

Look like a SUPERSTAR, Ride like a FOUR STAR, Win like a ROCKSTAR
Eventers: Making BAD Dressage look GOOD!
eventerdrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Breinigsville, PA
Posts: 808
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerdrew View Post
A crank is basically like a regular noseband except instead of attaching it right to the buckle, you loop it through once and then buckle it.
Here's one:http://www.sustainabledressage.com/t...k_noseband.gif

I think you're thinking of a flash noseband: http://www.horsedata.biz/acatalog/Sa...shNoseband.jpg

this is a drop noseband. I don't know anyone who uses them personally but I think they are more popular in other countries: http://www.horses-in-sport-online-sa...p_noseband.jpg


I went to a clinic for work this weekend with a lady that is all about safety. She was doing a tack demo and I asked her what the purpose of the crank was. She said there really wasn't a difference in the regular cavesson and the crank. It just evens out the pressure under the jaw a bit more.
Exactly! The crank prevents pressure points on one side of the nose, and evens out the pressure across both sides.

Quote:
Smart people listen. Not so smart people think they do not need to hear what others have to say.
luvmyperch is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 2
The crank nose band allows for more 'jaw shut' power than a standard, and adding it with a flash means chances are that mouth won't be opening a whole lot whether the horse likes it or not. It's basic understanding of the pulley action. I'm not accusing the OP of misusing tack, but frankly such equipment isn't necessary when the standard version is available IMO, often with a cheaper price. With heavy padding, if the nose band is fit tight the padding can push the cheek into the teeth causing irritation.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are certain and the intelligent are full of doubt"
-Bertrand Russel

Last edited by roro; 05-21-2010 at 09:34 PM.
roro is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Breinigsville, PA
Posts: 808
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
The crank nose band allows for more 'jaw shut' power than a standard, and adding it with a flash means chances are that mouth won't be opening a whole lot whether the horse likes it or not. It's basic understanding of the pulley action. I'm not accusing the OP of misusing tack, but frankly such equipment isn't necessary when the standard version is available IMO, often with a cheaper price. With heavy padding, if the nose band is fit tight the padding can push the cheek into the teeth causing irritation.
I'd have to think you're looking at people who are incorrectly using both the crank and the flash. A crank puts no more pressure than a buckle noseband when properly fitted, its purpose is to distrubute pressure equally and prevent pressure points. I use a flash tightened just enough to prevent my gelding from habitually chewing on his tounge. I would hardly consider that "misuse".

Quote:
Smart people listen. Not so smart people think they do not need to hear what others have to say.

Last edited by luvmyperch; 05-21-2010 at 10:03 PM.
luvmyperch is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USDF Region 1, USEA Area 2, USEF Zone 3 - Maryland
Posts: 1,903
• Horses: 3
I agree, just because it's called a "crank" noseband doesn't mean it has to be cranked tight. I prefer cranks because it fastens evenly and they are the just as tight (not really tight though) as a normal cavesson :)

-Melanie
Mom to 3 bays: Beau, Daisy & Cavalina
My Beau is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Ahhhhh. Thank you drew, tack lesson for the day? Complete.
Posted via Mobile Device
StormyBlues is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyperch View Post
I'd have to think you're looking at people who are incorrectly using both the crank and the flash. A crank puts no more pressure than a buckle noseband when properly fitted, its purpose is to distrubute pressure equally and prevent pressure points. I use a flash tightened just enough to prevent my gelding from habitually chewing on his tounge. I would hardly consider that "misuse".
But the point of the nose band is not to put pressure on, evenly or not. If it's squeezing and putting pressure on the horse, it is not being used correctly. Padding, even though it seems initially comfy, can often muddle the fit of a bridle, similar to putting a huge thick pad under your saddle. If you read my post properly, you would have realized that I was specifically not accusing you of misuse, please do not try to victimize yourself. And really, when crank nose bands typically cost more than the standard, why would you spend that extra money?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are certain and the intelligent are full of doubt"
-Bertrand Russel
roro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: English Saddle and Snaffle Bridle rissaxbmth Tack and Equipment Classifieds 15 04-21-2010 10:49 PM
Kieffer Jessica II Dressage Snaffle Bridle/Reins Horsesarebetterthanpeople Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-19-2010 02:06 PM
Your favorite & least favorite saddle banoota Horse Tack and Equipment 43 11-06-2009 05:04 PM
Favorite/Least Favorite horse personalities sunburst Horse Talk 2 03-07-2008 11:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome