News From the FEI Round Table Conference on Rollkur
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

News From the FEI Round Table Conference on Rollkur

This is a discussion on News From the FEI Round Table Conference on Rollkur within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-10-2010, 01:38 AM
      #1
    Weanling
    News From the FEI Round Table Conference on Rollkur

    41000 signatures on Gerd Heuschman's petition!

    This article and this article were released today on EuroDressage.
    What do you guys make of it? I'm curious to see if there will be actual action taken, or if they will go through with this and supervise warm-up rings and actually call people out.
    No mention was made on what qualifies as aggressive, nor anything said about using too much of the method.


    Also, this article was released on the Scandic and Kittel incident last month.
    So he gets a slap on the wrist. Huh.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Thats interesting. I hope they do something about it! Those pictures in those articles are crazy! I never even knew people did stuff like that!!!! I am actually VERY surprized those horses havent tripped and fallen badly from that kind of hyperflexion! How do people even think that looks good?
    Theres some real crazy horse people out there I guess......... :/
         
        02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
      #3
    Showing
    Good grief.
    Well, here's to hoping that SOMETHING happens.
         
        02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
      #4
    Banned
    This is what I read:

    Blah, blah, blah, political mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, blah, overly tactful and diplomatic word choice with double talk and absolutely no course of resolution, blah, blah, blah, we love to hear ourselves espouse the virtues of which we will never, ever enforce, blah, blah, blah, go ahead and give us a pat on the back, blah, blah, blah, we're so full of horse poo they can smell us in China, blah, blah, blah, talk is cheap, but we've put our heads together and decided to keep right on talking.

    How long has this been going on? Research, debate with riding masters, investigation, medical input ... If they'd just asked me I'd have told them years ago it was a display of humanity taking the shortcut at the expense of the vehicle. So what else is new?

    Only when I see that pathetic front-legged windmill excuse for an extended trot marked with a big, fat, zero, will I have any faith that something will be done about rolkur.
         
        02-10-2010, 03:01 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Slap on the wrist? I would have slapped him on the face. I had a clinic with Gerd H. And he discussed this during a lecture, it was very interesting. I hope something is actually done concerning this issue as I think it is quite thoroughly discussed in the equine world. Also, what about the rollkur in the jumping arenas? I see it all the time, even on TV during the warmups for the top shows. Am I the only one seeing it, or is it just more noticed in the dressage world for whatever reason?
         
        02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    They use it in JUMPING?? This is getting pithetic. Seriously, the hrose world needs to beat these so called 'horsemen' until they realize what they are doing, and if they don't realize it, to shun then until they get the idea.
         
        02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Yes, I hope to see some sort of action. But, I actually doubt it. There are so many loopholes that people could take! I'm sure poor Gerd and the others against the method were just *facepalm* by the end of the conference.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercedes    
    This is what I read:

    Blah, blah, blah, political mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, blah, overly tactful and diplomatic word choice with double talk and absolutely no course of resolution, blah, blah, blah, we love to hear ourselves espouse the virtues of which we will never, ever enforce, blah, blah, blah, go ahead and give us a pat on the back, blah, blah, blah, we're so full of horse poo they can smell us in China, blah, blah, blah, talk is cheap, but we've put our heads together and decided to keep right on talking.

    How long has this been going on? Research, debate with riding masters, investigation, medical input ... If they'd just asked me I'd have told them years ago it was a display of humanity taking the shortcut at the expense of the vehicle. So what else is new?

    Only when I see that pathetic front-legged windmill excuse for an extended trot marked with a big, fat, zero, will I have any faith that something will be done about rolkur.
    Exactly.
    I think there has to be a balance between classical (humane) methods and modern (humane) methods, and that a sport must grow and change. But, there is absolutely no place for the blatant abuse that is hyperflexion. The idiot overscoring and fixation on the front end also has to go.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roro    
    Slap on the wrist? I would have slapped him on the face. I had a clinic with Gerd H. And he discussed this during a lecture, it was very interesting.
    I would have dumped his butt in jail with a nice, hefty fine and an atomic wedgie for good measure. Of course, the punishment I would hand to Anky and Sjef is too violent to mention on this forum.
    I wish I was at that clinic!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
    they use it in JUMPING??
    Actually, in almost every equestrian sport, hyperflexion use has been found, sometimes being covered up with other names and labels. Some people aren't even aware of hyperflexion's existance, let alone that they may be using it in a way that is cruel or hurtful to the horse.
    Here's some video examples:
    Showjumping!
    And... Western!! (Labled as the "bend head down system". *snort*)


    On another note, does anybody else think that Sjef looks absolutely out of place in the conference group photo? Seriously hilarious!
         
        02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
      #8
    Started
    To be honest, it sounds to me like the FEI is just putting this out there to try to please everyone without actually doing anything about it.
    In this link there is another article, as well as a video, in which they claim that:
    "The group redefined hyperflexion/Rollkur as flexion of the horse’s neck achieved through aggressive force, which is therefore unacceptable. The technique known as Low, Deep and Round (LDR), which achieves flexion without undue force, is acceptable."
    So basically, they're saying that Rollkur/Hyperflexion is a no-no but LDR, which is basically the same thing, is okay...
         
        02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    [/QUOTE] dressagexlee: Actually, in almost every equestrian sport, hyperflexion use has been found, sometimes being covered up with other names and labels. Some people aren't even aware of hyperflexion's existance, let alone that they may be using it in a way that is cruel or hurtful to the horse.
    Here's some video examples:
    (Labled as the "bend head down system". *snort*)


    On another note, does anybody else think that Sjef looks absolutely out of place in the conference group photo? Seriously hilarious![/QUOTE]


    Wow...i couldn't believe those videos. That neck position just looks unnatural. I just don't understand where people come up with this stuff
         
        02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carleen    
    So basically, they're saying that Rollkur/Hyperflexion is a no-no but LDR, which is basically the same thing, is okay...
    Yes, exactly what I'm thinking.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Rollkur lexxwolfen Horse Training 86 12-30-2009 03:05 PM
    Opinions on Rollkur hollybee Dressage 12 09-30-2009 08:01 PM
    Husband under the table and other jokes. TaMMa89 Jokes and Funnies 5 08-21-2009 06:13 PM
    Rollkur / Hyperflexion jeddah31 Horse Training 15 11-08-2008 04:22 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0