Sitting trot - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Sitting trot

This is a discussion on Sitting trot within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Horse ready for sitting
  • Do judges like flashy horses

Like Tree16Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  #11
Super Moderator
I think a person should sit the trot only if the horse is ready (and rider can sit well). Training level is just that: training. Horses at this level may not have the back development to carry a rider sitting so well, so rising to the trot helps them be better able to do the things they are being aske to do at that point; be forward, have ryhtm and be relaxed.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-17-2012, 03:43 PM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDuck    
Anebel, funny you should say that. I was having a conversation with Kayty not long ago. It appears more and more often that horses with flashy front legs are getting high scores. When I bought my mare (and she had some previous dressage training of some sort) she ran on her front and made it look super pretty.

Now she uses her butt, she can move, I can sit to it and she's a much fitter, balanced horse.

Mildot, I can't comment on your different training levels as they are much different to my own out here, but if the judge has previously seen the rising trot, then it would be a good opportunity for the OP to display her sitting trot with the same judge to have a crit from that point of view too.
Not exactly the point I was trying to make... the "judge" that placed the flashy, incorrect horse over me was not actually a judge. It was a random boarder who rode second level once, 15 years ago. The real judges, no matter how basic in their judges training, always had me placed over the flashy horse.
"Judges" with no credentials don't know what they are doing and so to win under them, we have to play their games.

There is a difference between riding Dressage, and rising Dressage in a test... this is part of it at the lower levels where random people are hired off the streets to judge.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
  #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
I think a person should sit the trot only if the horse is ready (and rider can sit well). Training level is just that: training. Horses at this level may not have the back development to carry a rider sitting so well, so rising to the trot helps them be better able to do the things they are being aske to do at that point; be forward, have ryhtm and be relaxed.
The difference in throughness in my horse's trot is noticeable from when I sit to when I rise.

Part of it is me, but part of it is her.
     
    02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  #14
Showing
OP have you been practicing your sitting trot?

(I just stumbled onto this thread, and I'm curious as it isn't too old.)
     
    03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
  #15
Trained
^ Yes ma'am I have. I've actually been riding her bareback a lot, which is actually more comfortable than with a saddle so I feel like I've been spoiling myself.

So, as my solution, I let my stirrups down an extra hole. I had them up because my feet would fall out on my other gelding, but it turns out on her it's more comfortable to have them longer....And I can definitely sit down and balance better without being choked with the stirrups.

After a long bit of that, I think we're ready to compete again. My trainer thinks so too, she says we both look better sitting than posting.
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
    03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
  #16
Foal
I'm just going to butt in for a second and answer your question... it helps me to move side to side on the horse when doing a sitting trot. Not so that you can notice, just a little bit. It makes it a whole lot bare able. Also I would try a little bit of bareback to help with your seat :3
     
    03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  #17
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy123    
I'm just going to butt in for a second and answer your question... it helps me to move side to side on the horse when doing a sitting trot. Not so that you can notice, just a little bit. It makes it a whole lot bare able. Also I would try a little bit of bareback to help with your seat :3
I think that's really funny because I ride bareback all the time and still have this problem.

I think gripping onto her hair is easier than gripping onto a leather saddle.
     
    03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
  #18
Banned
Gripping is THE problem
     
    03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
  #19
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot    
Gripping is THE problem
I didn't mean that literally...I know I shouldn't be squeezing my horse to death with my legs. I stay pretty loose in the saddle. I just meant that her hair has less slip on it than my saddle does. (Her hair is pretty rough)
     
    03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
  #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
I didn't mean that literally...I know I shouldn't be squeezing my horse to death with my legs. I stay pretty loose in the saddle. I just meant that her hair has less slip on it than my saddle does. (Her hair is pretty rough)
Gotcha. Have you tried some full seat breeches with a microseude seat? I have two pairs and they do make a difference.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sitting trot Luis Horse Riding 15 01-12-2012 02:53 AM
sitting trot walkingmedley English Riding 14 10-22-2010 06:14 PM
sitting trot Cheyennes mom Western Riding 18 10-21-2010 09:02 PM
Sitting Trot Bethy English Riding 9 09-19-2010 06:56 PM
Sitting the trot? Endless Journey Girl English Riding 28 08-13-2009 10:36 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0