USEF Rider Tests for 2013 - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

USEF Rider Tests for 2013

This is a discussion on USEF Rider Tests for 2013 within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category
  • First level test 2 2013 usdf
  • 2013 USDF Dressage Tests

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
  #21
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
Mixed feelings but it might be a nice way to get people show experience. I've not heard of rail classes before this thread (shows how often I read the class lists!) but I think I would feel comfortable doing a rider test or rail class since I don't have a trainer to help me with the whole "what to do at a show" bit or what to do for the tests.
Posted via Mobile Device
My first shows I went in head first, no trainer, nothing. It's a big jump but not as hard as one might think. I you really want to get in to showing, volunteering at a show as a runner or maybe a ring steward will give you a nice insight to what happens and the way things run. If you don't want to volunteer, just go watch a show and spend some time watching the warm up ring. This is where you get the most "drama" at the show and see the worst parts of it LOL. I do this often and "eavesdrop" on some of the riders/trainers. It's not hard to hear trainers working with students to fix problems in a warmup ring. Also, offering to be somebody's "goom" is another great way to learn about what things happen at a show and what the expectations are as you are very involved with your rider and their progress.

This might give you more confidence even if you don't have a trainer yet.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
  #22
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
I know they are using USEF score sheets for actual tests and Nebraska Dressage only "recognizes" the actual tests the rest is just fun fluff like Prix Caprilli, pad de duex, and the rail classes. As for the fluff stuff, I know that on the entry forms it states that the "suitability" and "equitation" classes are suited for the intro and training levels and frown on other levels entering, however they do not disallow such entries. The sheets do say either walk/trot or walk/trot/canter but that is it. That is what they start with but as the class progresses and the judges find it hard to choose between some of the riders they start throwing in other things like two point, simple lead change, canter circles, etc. This is the way it has happened at pretty much every schooling show I went to last year, including county fair.

I didn't know this was wrong,but it seems like this is the way all the schooling shows in my area that have such classes do them.
Oh that makes my skin crawl as a show organizer...
Most local shows are run illegally and are reportable and can be shut down and even have fines.. I guess your area is no exception.

DR 133 is where all the rules are. If the show is not a Level 1 or higher USDF sanctioned show then they cannot use the score sheet. If they are sanctioned then they MUST use the score sheet and the rules posted.
IF other classes or tests are added in a USDF sanctioned show then a description and/or test MUST be included in the prize list.

Sounds very willy nilly how they are doing it. There are rules for all these things. In the DSE:

A. Medium walk, working trot and canter both ways of the ring must be performed. The riderís
Position, seat and specifically the correct use and effect of the aids required by the Training
And First Level Dressage tests are to be judged as outlined in DR117.1.
B. The movements shall be performed by the exhibitors simultaneously; however, the judge
May ask for independent tests as listed below in DR132.2.i(4)-2.i(5).

And in Champonships:
May be ridden as a group:
A. Free walk
B. Transitions from one gait to the next in both directions
C. Transitions from walk to halt and vice versa
D. Change of direction across the diagonal, down the centerline, across the arena, and/
Or by making a half-circle at the walk or trot
(5) Additional tests from which judges may choose movements and exercises, as required
At Training and First Level, to be ridden in small groups or independently:
A. Transitions
B. Leg yield
C. Changes of lead through trot
D. Serpentine at the trot
E. Shallow loop serpentine with counter canter
F. Trot lengthening and/or canter


I always cringe when I read about shows not following rules, as it's not hard. That was a 5 minute scroll though the rule book....
     
    11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
My first shows I went in head first, no trainer, nothing. It's a big jump but not as hard as one might think. I you really want to get in to showing, volunteering at a show as a runner or maybe a ring steward will give you a nice insight to what happens and the way things run. If you don't want to volunteer, just go watch a show and spend some time watching the warm up ring. This is where you get the most "drama" at the show and see the worst parts of it LOL. I do this often and "eavesdrop" on some of the riders/trainers. It's not hard to hear trainers working with students to fix problems in a warmup ring. Also, offering to be somebody's "goom" is another great way to learn about what things happen at a show and what the expectations are as you are very involved with your rider and their progress.

This might give you more confidence even if you don't have a trainer yet.
Maybe I'm just underestimating myself.

I occasionally go to shows as show groom, but I've always been so busy hauling tack, moving horses, braiding, yadda yadda that I don't have a sense of what the riders themselves have to do. Especially when it comes to paperwork and knowing what to do in the actual class and when. I think my biggest fear would be showing up at the wrong time or being prepared wrong (like showing up for dressage in jumper gear !) or going in the ring and doing the completely wrong thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
  #24
Green Broke
It's not really the show organizer making the choice and doing it, it's what the judge asks for during the class, which doesn't seem to me like the show organizer has any choice in they just say it's at the judge's discression. I think that all the organizers assume that because they are using recognized judges, the judge knows what they are doing and won't do anything not allowed because, after all, they are a judge and they know the rules, right?

Maybe I should quietly bring this the th NDA (Nebraska Dressage Association) board, as they say their rules are USEF rules. But the way things work in the Dressage world here, is if someone makes waves, they usually end up wiping out.
     
    11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
  #25
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
It's not really the show organizer making the choice and doing it, it's what the judge asks for during the class, which doesn't seem to me like the show organizer has any choice in they just say it's at the judge's discression. I think that all the organizers assume that because they are using recognized judges, the judge knows what they are doing and won't do anything not allowed because, after all, they are a judge and they know the rules, right?

Maybe I should quietly bring this the th NDA (Nebraska Dressage Association) board, as they say their rules are USEF rules. But the way things work in the Dressage world here, is if someone makes waves, they usually end up wiping out.
The show organizer may be making the prize list unclear. However, it would be worth it to maybe ask at a meeting, or something, "What's the standard for the USEF equitation classes?".
If they are putting in the prize list "Training/Intro", then that is very misleading. In my prize lists I always mention that the standard is to first level and that snaffles must be used. But I have this issue called OCD. My prize lists are usually near perfect.
     
    11-28-2012, 02:50 PM
  #26
Green Broke
Oh, they aren't calling it a USEF equitation class or USEF suitability. In fact it does specify that they are NOT recognized classes (usef or nda) and hold no point value, they are sijmply just for fun just for dorky ribbons. However a lot of judges like to be informative by not simply telling how the horses place but WHY the horse or rider places the way they do. What the judge likes, doesn't like and what needs improvement and any suggestions they have. For instance the judge at the fair placed Cinny 4th out of 8 horses in suitability then stated that she liked Cinny's willing nature and that you can see him really trying. She complimented my use of a "Happy Mouth" snaffle and said she wished more riders under first level would use them. She also pointed out Cinny's conformation flaws and said that he was very suited to lower levels because of his brain and manners however she'd be surprised to see him do well above training level.

It's these critiques that most of us under 1st level enter these classes to get as they are described as "not recognized."
     
    11-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  #27
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
Oh, they aren't calling it a USEF equitation class or USEF suitability. In fact it does specify that they are NOT recognized classes (usef or nda) and hold no point value, they are sijmply just for fun just for dorky ribbons. However a lot of judges like to be informative by not simply telling how the horses place but WHY the horse or rider places the way they do. What the judge likes, doesn't like and what needs improvement and any suggestions they have. For instance the judge at the fair placed Cinny 4th out of 8 horses in suitability then stated that she liked Cinny's willing nature and that you can see him really trying. She complimented my use of a "Happy Mouth" snaffle and said she wished more riders under first level would use them. She also pointed out Cinny's conformation flaws and said that he was very suited to lower levels because of his brain and manners however she'd be surprised to see him do well above training level.

It's these critiques that most of us under 1st level enter these classes to get as they are described as "not recognized."
See where as I'm pretty sure it's illegal to offer dressage equitation without using the USEF score sheet and dressage suitability without using the USEF score sheet.
And if it's not then it's illegal to offer the classes in a USEF sanctioned show without a clear explanation of the requirements, what will be asked, how you are judged, etc..
     
    11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
  #28
Green Broke
I don't think hey are USEF Sanctioned shows just NDA sanctioned shows. I think the only USEF sanctioned SCHOOLING shows we have in the area are the Cornhusker Classic Schooling Show and the Region 4 Schooling Show Championship and they strictly only have the USEF tests and USEF score sheets and absolutely nothing else. The other shows are NDA sanctioned but not USEF. The only other USEF sanctioned shows are not schooling shows.
     
    11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
  #29
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
I don't think hey are USEF Sanctioned shows just NDA sanctioned shows. I think the only USEF sanctioned SCHOOLING shows we have in the area are the Cornhusker Classic Schooling Show and the Region 4 Schooling Show Championship and they strictly only have the USEF tests and USEF score sheets and absolutely nothing else. The other shows are NDA sanctioned but not USEF. The only other USEF sanctioned shows are not schooling shows.
Even if it's NDA sanctioned it is bound by the rules of the USEF as NDA is part of the USEF, and do not post their own set of rules.
I don't fully understand it as I only run nationally sanctioned shows, but fairly sure that NDA sanctioned = USEF rulebook. I assume you use USEF tests at the shows??
     
    11-28-2012, 03:11 PM
  #30
Green Broke
WE use USEF rulebook, USEF tests. USDF tests for prix caprilli, musical freestyle, etc but usually those classes hold no point value and are considered just for fun.

I have found that I have to carry my rulebook on my phone or something sometimes to cover myself though, especially with Cinny's bits. The first year I had a Koresteel double link copper snaffle and somebody griped that the bit wasn't all one metal (the rings are stainless) and I had to point out that it's just the mouth piece that has to be all the same metal. Last year there was question at a show regarding Cinny's Happy Mouth which I believe was only added to the 2012 list of bits allowed. Little things like that so I know the show organizers don't have everything memorized and don't always pass on info to stewards etc that they should know.

It's worth bringing up. I know the NDA president as I used to board with her so I might just shoot her an email so it's not "public" and see what she thinks. She's very level headed and I think it will keep any waves from being created with the cliquish people.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expecting Mares of 2013 MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 32 01-03-2013 10:45 PM
Planned Breedings for 2012/2013? StellaIW Horse Breeding 22 09-19-2012 01:27 PM
2013 Expecting Mares MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 10 06-16-2012 01:31 AM
Baby for 2013 Silver Chrome Horse Breeding 2 04-17-2012 01:42 PM
Breeding to a Heterozygous stallion for 2013 MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 19 07-26-2011 09:46 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0