Very Strong Potential - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Very Strong Potential

This is a discussion on Very Strong Potential within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
      #51
    Weanling
    Waiting to hear how the PPE went....
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
      #52
    Yearling
    Unfortunately the horse did not x-ray out completely clean so now it is a matter of having my vet give his take on things. The horse came up with a mild positive during the flexion of the right stifle..not a limp..the vet described it as abducting..I haven't looked that up as yet :). X-rays showed single sidebone on the right front..the horse is mildly pigeon toed as known prior and the vet indicated he expected to see that. He doesn't equate sidebone with lameness; only cosmetic. X-rays of the stifle and hock on the right hind were clean. The left stifle has an OCD lesion which I was told was a developmental issue. Right now it is not affecting the horse and is "treatable" with arthroscopic surgery.

    So now I have to make a decision. The horse is calm, quiet..the owner's husband had set up a tent for them to watch the flexion tests and the horse didn't even blink when he saw it. During the x-rays the horse just about fell asleep he was so relaxed..he never once moved once they got him into the position they needed.

    I know my trainer is going to put the kabash on him and tell me to keep looking but to be fair she knows what I went through with Paddy's navicular and certainly doesn't want to see me with a horse that has issues again. At the same time, this is not a $50K horse where someone would expect 100% clean x-rays. Talking to the vet the surgery for the OCD lesion, which is very small, is about 85% successful with horse returning to full work with no further issues after about 6 weeks.

    The issue with the right stifle is most likely a muscling issue...the owner/trainer was very up front that the right side was the weak side. The vet indicated that if he was doing a lameness exam, even though the horse isn't lame, he would recommend injections in that stifle just as a preventive type measure.

    I am not going to give up just yet until my vet has seen the x-rays and I get his take on things. I am disappointed but not completely hopeless.
         
        07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
      #53
    Weanling
    Let us know what happens.
         
        07-18-2013, 08:56 PM
      #54
    Yearling
    Time for thread closure..I heard back from my own vet who validated what the PPE vet saw; I had videotaped the flex tests. Last night I did a lot of hard thinking and even more research and had more or less made the decision last night, or was it really early this morning...to pass on this particular horse. One or two of the issues I may have been able to live with but the three issues together just weighed too much on the negative side. Due to the stifle issue(s) there was also a thought that while the horse may have the ability, he would not be able to get the collection necessary, due to the stifle issue(s), to work fourth level with some degree of finesse...now, someone just starting out to go through maybe 2nd level...he is a very nice and sweet boy. It was a very difficult call to make.

    I found a few other prospects a lot closer to home....live and learn :). Still, it was an interesting experience but I admit I am glad to be home. I missed my window in DC and got stuck in the last of rush hour traffic; it is hot, sticky, I'm starving but I get to sleep in my own bed tonight. :)

    My thanks to all for their help and putting up with my ongoing babbling..hopefully it won't be long before I am bugging everyone again :)
         
        07-19-2013, 12:50 PM
      #55
    Weanling
    Girl you have numerous PMs. More fish in the sea for you :)
         
        07-21-2013, 08:31 PM
      #56
    Showing
    Ive following this thread since it started. Im glad you let that one pass. I think long term you would have had some problems so Im glad you let it go. There are a lot of horses out there, and I have no doubt in mind you will find the right one for you.
         
        07-21-2013, 09:15 PM
      #57
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My2Geldings    
    Ive following this thread since it started. Im glad you let that one pass. I think long term you would have had some problems so Im glad you let it go. There are a lot of horses out there, and I have no doubt in mind you will find the right one for you.
    Weezilla has been helping me out a lot. My trainer is on maternity leave for at least another two months (three weeks (I think) until her due date than 6 weeks after that) and I hesitate to really bug her right now. Saw another horse on Friday (yes the day after I got home), and have five more lined up for this coming week..four in one location so nice and convenient.
         
        07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
      #58
    Weanling
    Get mares USDF number (for recognized shows she had to have some USDF/USEA number) and go on line under UDSF.USEA and get her scores. If that fails the last chance is to get a copy of the tests. (They can scan it into PDF format and email to you, or Xerox (library usually has a Xerox machine) and mail you a copy).

    If you get excuses I'd assume someone is lying. Maybe scores are for local, not recognized, shows (so assume scores would be lower at a recognized show).
         
        07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
      #59
    Yearling
    If you are referring to the mare in my initial post; I did go see her. Call it karma or whatever but she had only been a week out form having half a cracked tooth pulled..and yes the owner and I were both trying to puzzle that one out, but, in any case, we are thinking she had/has an abscess of some sort in the tooth as she was quite, shall we say, mareish (or is that marish) about things. She was tossing her head, wouldn't come down to the bit without a LOT of asking and was generally not herself. I did get on her but regardless of the head issues there was no connection there. She needs a rider that is as headstrong as she is and I don't fit that bill :). I prefer quiet conversations not long winded debates :)

    What I also found out is that the mare had been shown in an opportunity class which doesn't record the score.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    HELP! strong horse Amzoidxo Horse Training 13 06-05-2012 04:17 PM
    help with my very strong horse! MeganT Horse Riding 8 02-28-2011 05:59 PM
    very strong roxanne21bobs Jumping 6 09-04-2009 06:38 PM
    Still going strong Jehanzeb Horse Riding 5 12-03-2008 05:10 PM
    HELP STRONG NEW HORSE ashlyn07 Horse Training 6 12-21-2006 07:58 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0