What are you working on? - Page 28
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

What are you working on?

This is a discussion on What are you working on? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree172Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
      #271
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    How is he on the ground?



    Maybe I can ask my instructor if I can do half of a halfpass.. like do it for 2 strides, then straighten.. and build up on it then. Do you think that would work? Maybe I'm rushing it?
    Hmm, I am new to dressage. Is halfpass done while on a bend, and sidepass done while straight?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
      #272
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disastercupcake    
    Hmm, I am new to dressage. Is halfpass done while on a bend, and sidepass done while straight?
    I'm sorry.... I confused the two.

    Halfpassing is what I'm after, not sidepassing.

    Halfpassing is a lateral movement that the horse does while moving forward at the same time.. so it's more diagonal. The horse is bent towards the direction of the movement. The horse is bent around your inside leg and moves with that 'shape'

    A sidepass is a lateral movement without any physical forward movement.. so it's truly moving sideways. I believe (I haven't learned it yet) that the horse's nose is tipped but it is not fully bent as much as the sidepass. [[please correct me if I am wrong]]

    I'm working on the halfpass, to allow my horse to bend and move laterally but also forward. Making sure I give the right cues for him to yield to me.

    ~~

    But well done on you for being at the sidepass stage. Sorry I confused you..
         
        06-03-2013, 10:36 PM
      #273
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    I'm sorry.... I confused the two.

    Halfpassing is what I'm after, not sidepassing.

    Halfpassing is a lateral movement that the horse does while moving forward at the same time.. so it's more diagonal. The horse is bent towards the direction of the movement. The horse is bent around your inside leg and moves with that 'shape'

    A sidepass is a lateral movement without any physical forward movement.. so it's truly moving sideways. I believe (I haven't learned it yet) that the horse's nose is tipped but it is not fully bent as much as the sidepass. [[please correct me if I am wrong]]

    I'm working on the halfpass, to allow my horse to bend and move laterally but also forward. Making sure I give the right cues for him to yield to me.

    ~~

    But well done on you for being at the sidepass stage. Sorry I confused you..
    lol no problem, just wanted to make sure I was on the same page! I saw 'straighten out' and thought, well maybe I'm not on the right one =/ Anyways, thank you! Yes, Cloud can sidepass on the ground and in the saddle now- although tentatively. He can pivot on the haunches much better than the forehand :) We are nowhere the half pass yet haha
         
        06-03-2013, 11:13 PM
      #274
    Trained
    If you are not getting a lateral reaction to your aids, I would go right back to turn on the forehand a leg yielding. Half pass is a very difficult movement, even with a horse that understands to move laterally off the leg rather than rushing forwards. That is the key to training - always go back to the basics to make sure all of those main buttons are confirmed before charging ahead to the 'tricks'.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    tinyliny and picup436 like this.
         
        06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
      #275
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    If you are not getting a lateral reaction to your aids, I would go right back to turn on the forehand a leg yielding. Half pass is a very difficult movement, even with a horse that understands to move laterally off the leg rather than rushing forwards. That is the key to training - always go back to the basics to make sure all of those main buttons are confirmed before charging ahead to the 'tricks'.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I don't really see it as a trick.. just a different way of moving.

    I see it as he is either taking advantage of my lack of proper positioning (like my leg isn't supporting him) or I'm confusing him by asking him to bend and move laterally instead of just forward. I gather it's a lot harder than forward so my guess is he is just taking advantage that I quite frankly am new at it.
         
        06-04-2013, 05:44 AM
      #276
    Trained
    Do you both have a solid leg yield and turn on the forehand? If you don't, you will never get the half pass
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-04-2013, 07:30 AM
      #277
    Green Broke
    Well Reeco and I are concentrating on transitions at the moment, mostly the trot to canter transition.
    I'm also personaly working on letting go of his front end and trusting him more. He has been a realy good boy recently and I need to stop clinging on to his mouth for dear life!
    We have also done away with the martingale and the flash which has made him a lot softer in his neck (they were there as crutches to my confidence on him and to help regain control when he bolted).

    I started asking for leg yield a couple of days ago and he is fine leg yielding left but paniced and offered to rear when asked to leg yield right. His right side is his weak side (side his pelvis fractured) so I've backed off on trying that again untill he has seen the physio, I do not want to force the issue if he is sore.
         
        06-04-2013, 01:02 PM
      #278
    Trained
    Sorry, what you are describing sky, is not a half pass. It is a counter bent LY.

    Can you SI? Required for a HP. Can you travers? Renvers? Also things needed in a half pass.
    Also, unless your coach has taught you what a correct HP is and gone through all the theory with you, don't attempt it. You are obviously confusing the horse and neither you or the horse are ready. It is not "a different way of moving" it is a mid level dressage exercise requiring a great deal of collection and submission to the aids. Dressage is not a sequence of tricks.


    Anyways, just finished my last clinic before heading to the coast next week. Worked a lot on straightness with the kiddo, working towards second level. So we'll see I registered in one test on the Sunday of the second show (June 30).
    My guy is going just fantastically it actually hurts how well he's going. Practiced the I1 zig zag, pirouettes and tempis and all are good to go for the show. Now its just amping up the collection another half notch on the dial. The trot is getting really fantastic not looking forward to riding in 80 degree temps in a wool coat though... talk about a sweat fest...
    But, anyways. Last vacs are getting done tomorrow, packing for the 3 weeks is starting, and there's still a big focus on training, especially once I get over this **** flu..
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
      #279
    Banned
    It's amazing just how difficult a half-pass can be.........I can LY, turn the forehand (spin and a more forward moving turn) haunches in, shoulders in (that ones hard).............HP......not going to happen for a long long long time
         
        06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
      #280
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    Sorry, what you are describing sky, is not a half pass. It is a counter bent LY.

    Can you SI? Required for a HP. Can you travers? Renvers? Also things needed in a half pass.
    Also, unless your coach has taught you what a correct HP is and gone through all the theory with you, don't attempt it. You are obviously confusing the horse and neither you or the horse are ready. It is not "a different way of moving" it is a mid level dressage exercise requiring a great deal of collection and submission to the aids. Dressage is not a sequence of tricks.


    Anyways, just finished my last clinic before heading to the coast next week. Worked a lot on straightness with the kiddo, working towards second level. So we'll see I registered in one test on the Sunday of the second show (June 30).
    My guy is going just fantastically it actually hurts how well he's going. Practiced the I1 zig zag, pirouettes and tempis and all are good to go for the show. Now its just amping up the collection another half notch on the dial. The trot is getting really fantastic not looking forward to riding in 80 degree temps in a wool coat though... talk about a sweat fest...
    But, anyways. Last vacs are getting done tomorrow, packing for the 3 weeks is starting, and there's still a big focus on training, especially once I get over this **** flu..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Good luck Anebel
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What are you working on? Shasta1981 Dressage 24 01-30-2012 06:30 PM
    Working from behind shanoona Horse Training 1 05-20-2010 12:04 AM
    Working under him self Erin_And_Jasper English Riding 17 03-07-2009 11:44 AM
    Working with Mac MyMonkeyHero Horse Training 10 09-21-2008 01:13 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0