What are you working on? - Page 29
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

What are you working on?

This is a discussion on What are you working on? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree170Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
      #281
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    Do you both have a solid leg yield and turn on the forehand? If you don't, you will never get the half pass
    Posted via Mobile Device
    We don't practice turn on the forehand, so that may be a huge part of the problem. I'll bring it up to my instructor.

    Our leg yield is great, that's the only thing I am very confident that I'm doing right. The lateral movements are still really unfamiliar to me. My coach is helping me along though.

    Thanks :)

    ~~

    Please keep in mind this horse is a schoolmaster, NOT my personal horse. My personal horse is in a different country and he is at Training level dressage.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    Sorry, what you are describing sky, is not a half pass. It is a counter bent LY.

    Can you SI? Required for a HP. Can you travers? Renvers? Also things needed in a half pass.
    Also, unless your coach has taught you what a correct HP is and gone through all the theory with you, don't attempt it. You are obviously confusing the horse and neither you or the horse are ready. It is not "a different way of moving" it is a mid level dressage exercise requiring a great deal of collection and submission to the aids. Dressage is not a sequence of tricks.
    She has. And again, I don't think of any part of dressage as tricks.

    We work on leg yields, haunches in and haunches out. We also work on shoulder in and shoulder out. We don't progress until the horse is able to do each exercise when asked, correctly, and maintain it until asked. If the horse is stiff, we work on loosening them up before we ask again.

    The horse definitely knows his job.. it's me with the issues since this is new to me.

    We have loose rein walk breaks and plenty of trot and canter before we attempt the halfpass.

    I've been able to ride the halfpass before when I asked him but this past lesson he was different which is why I asked if anyone had any advice. I'm pretty sure it was something I wasn't doing or maybe I didn't have my leg in the right place. I'm not sure.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
      #282
    Trained
    Do you know how to ride a halfpass? Everything you've said in this thread leads me to believe that you do not.
    Where do the shoulders point? What are the haunches doing? Which leg and hip of the rider is further back?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
      #283
    Showing
    This is what I understand

    I always ask for haunches in first. The horse is bent around your inside leg, the horse is looking in the direction that it is moving, the haunches are in and the shoulders are slightly pointing in but not dropped. Outside leg is back to support the haunches, inside leg at the girth to ask for the horse to keep moving 'forward."

    I wasn't told anything about the seat bones (the instructor mainly focuses on where your legs are and your shoulders) so I can't say for sure. But if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say outside seat bone is forward.

    Is that right or is there something I'm doing wrong?
         
        06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
      #284
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    This is what I understand

    I always ask for haunches in first. The horse is bent around your inside leg, the horse is looking in the direction that it is moving, the haunches are in and the shoulders are slightly pointing in but not dropped. Outside leg is back to support the haunches, inside leg at the girth to ask for the horse to keep moving 'forward."

    I wasn't told anything about the seat bones (the instructor mainly focuses on where your legs are and your shoulders) so I can't say for sure. But if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say outside seat bone is forward.

    Is that right or is there something I'm doing wrong?

    That's actually completely backwards to how it is done correctly.


    The horse begins in a shoulder fore position (ie to the left) on the centerline (in this example). Then the rider asks for the horse to ride a straight line to the wall (so a diagonal) with the shoulders. Then the rider will ride the haunches around where the shoulders are now going, asking the horse for a travers. The outside leg and sit bone are back, the horse's entire forehand is pointed in the direction of travel and the haunches are bent around the inside leg to the degree at which will keep the shoulders leading, but is not too difficult for the horse. Both legs support the shoulders to continue tracking on a straight diagonal line. The collecting part of this exercise is as you shorten the line and sharpen the angle, the horse must increase the bend in his body and thus shorten it considerably.

    Anyways. I really would suggest you get your coach to thoroughly explain what to do before you do it. And if she wont or can't then I think that speaks to the truth of what I think is going on.
         
        06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
      #285
    Showing
    Alright :) Thanks for that. I will definitely ask her to explain it more. And hopefully I can record my lesson to review it later..
         
        06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
      #286
    Foal
    Currently working with Nav on being more accepting of the bit and not pulling on my hands, as well as transitions. Especially downward transitions - he likes to pull into those...
         
        06-13-2013, 07:14 PM
      #287
    Showing
    Took video but having issues uploading it. Lesson went a lot better.. not running through my aids but something really bothers me about the horse I ride.

    For the most part he doesn't accept contact. No matter who is riding him his nose is either in the air or way beyond the vertical. I don't pull him into a frame or anything since that is WRONG but the instructor has me really shorten the reins and focus on keeping him forward (the forward part is good, but the really really short rein isn't...)

    I have managed to get him to use his back at the walk (I feel it lift up and swing and he stretches into the contact) but when we trot and canter, we lose it. I know I'm not doing something right but the instructor keeps saying "That's just him"

    I'm debating trying a different riding school further away.
         
        06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
      #288
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Took video but having issues uploading it. Lesson went a lot better.. not running through my aids but something really bothers me about the horse I ride.

    For the most part he doesn't accept contact. No matter who is riding him his nose is either in the air or way beyond the vertical. I don't pull him into a frame or anything since that is WRONG but the instructor has me really shorten the reins and focus on keeping him forward (the forward part is good, but the really really short rein isn't...)

    I have managed to get him to use his back at the walk (I feel it lift up and swing and he stretches into the contact) but when we trot and canter, we lose it. I know I'm not doing something right but the instructor keeps saying "That's just him"

    I'm debating trying a different riding school further away.
    My instructor also has me shorten my reins a lot when I ride with her. I tend to have too much trust in my horse, and she says if he really wanted to bolt, he could unless my reins are short- so short I almost have to lean forward to keep from pulling on his mouth. But, I ride a green horse =/
         
        06-13-2013, 07:35 PM
      #289
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by disastercupcake    
    My instructor also has me shorten my reins a lot when I ride with her. I tend to have too much trust in my horse, and she says if he really wanted to bolt, he could unless my reins are short- so short I almost have to lean forward to keep from pulling on his mouth. But, I ride a green horse =/
    Yeah I try to lengthen the rein and then keep a slight bend in my arms so I'm not infront of the wither, or worse behind the wither, but she always has me shorten them a lot. He's very much a school master in temperment and training so I don't understand it.

    I just can't wait for the video to upload so a) people can see what is going on b) so I can see if I have improved any in my overall position, something I struggle with a lot.

    ~~

    Yeah I still don't see how short reins would stop/defer a bolting horse.... :/
         
        06-13-2013, 10:19 PM
      #290
    Weanling
    I had a dressage lesson again today and worked on bend, since he noticed that Jax was (as always) stiff to the left. My instructor hopped up on Jax for a while, and while Jax fussed at first... man did he look good once they got moving! It was a really great lesson! I love working with this trainer. He makes everything so easy to understand and is not afraid to literally jab my hip, tell me it's now attached to my saddle, go forward. Haha.

    He said that we should give Intro level a shot at an AHA sporthorse show coming up in July. Why not?! I wish we had some local schooling shows this summer but unfortunately they were all earlier in the year and don't resume until September.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What are you working on? Shasta1981 Dressage 24 01-30-2012 06:30 PM
    Working from behind shanoona Horse Training 1 05-20-2010 12:04 AM
    Working under him self Erin_And_Jasper English Riding 17 03-07-2009 11:44 AM
    Working with Mac MyMonkeyHero Horse Training 10 09-21-2008 01:13 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0