Originally Posted by Mingiz
I agree with you. I worked at a training barn with Standerbreds for harness racing. We never started a yearling. We always waited until they were 2 before we did any serious training. If your jogging a yearling 2 miles every day you won't have a race horse for very long. Way too much stress for a yearling....
serious training? At 2? I highly doubt that. Standardbreds racing careers are supposed to START at 2. 90% of STB racehorses are broke as yearlings, the other 10% are because people don't do anything with them and usually end up just getting rid of them.
2miles slow is not serious work. Serious work is when she learns to turn and start training down her miles, trying to shave time off as she goes along. She doesnt start this until she turns 2, but is well broke ahead of time in preparation.
Originally Posted by lillie
absolutly agreeing with everyone who says it is wrong to do this before 2 1/2. And I also question your methods, but I want to add that I think it is extremely foolish and potentially dangerous to advise people you don't know ( or anyone for that matter) to try to break ( I don't like this word, but in this case I think it might be appropriate) to try to break a horse to harness in a week. So many things could go wrong and for someone with no experience or background in driving, to then get caught up in a situation of panicked horse, which hasnt had the correct level of time invested in it , could prove fatal. And much as I don't approve of any horse being started as young as original poster is advocating, there is a vast difference between starting a novice driver and a novice horse in an environment such as a track and to then give the impression that it is so quick and easy that someone could think it was safe to do so on a public road. I really do think it is very irresponsible.
first off, who said I told anyone to break a horse in a week? She just happened to be a great well mannered horse who learned very quickly due to her previous handling as a weanling and such. I NEVER told anyone to break a horse in a week.
Secondly, when did I tell someone with no experience to break a horse by themselves? I didnt.
Third, when did I say anything about driving on the road? I didnt. I don't deal with that. I break and drive racehorses, and that's that. If someone asks me what I believe is a good age to start breaking a horse at, I will say yearling. Because that's what we do.
There are over 20 yearlings at the track I am currently training at that are jogging just the same as my yearling is. So you can question my methods all you choose, I really don't care. Because obviously a lot of other people have the same methods.