Dynamo Jin- Breaking to drive - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Driving

Dynamo Jin- Breaking to drive

This is a discussion on Dynamo Jin- Breaking to drive within the Driving forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    We have had many many racehorses retire at the age of 15 without any problems because of when they were broke.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-04-2009, 06:04 AM
      #12
    Weanling
    To each their own but I strongly disagree with training a yearling to drive. They are not ready physically or mentally and I think the picture proves that.

    Their knees don't even close until ages 3-5

    Also miniatures and ponies are very compliant which really can be a bad thing for them. I would never hook a cart to a horse that has only been line driving for 3 days.

    Instead of instant gratification people need to think long term.
         
        11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weefoal    
    To each their own but I strongly disagree with training a yearling to drive. They are not ready physically or mentally and I think the picture proves that.

    Their knees don't even close until ages 3-5

    Also miniatures and ponies are very compliant which really can be a bad thing for them. I would never hook a cart to a horse that has only been line driving for 3 days.

    Instead of instant gratification people need to think long term.

    I agree with you. I worked at a training barn with Standerbreds for harness racing. We never started a yearling. We always waited until they were 2 before we did any serious training. If your jogging a yearling 2 miles every day you won't have a race horse for very long. Way too much stress for a yearling....
         
        11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
      #14
    Foal
    Absolutly agreeing with everyone who says it is wrong to do this before 2 1/2. And I also question your methods, but I want to add that I think it is extremely foolish and potentially dangerous to advise people you don't know ( or anyone for that matter) to try to break ( I don't like this word, but in this case I think it might be appropriate) to try to break a horse to harness in a week. So many things could go wrong and for someone with no experience or background in driving, to then get caught up in a situation of panicked horse, which hasnt had the correct level of time invested in it , could prove fatal. And much as I don't approve of any horse being started as young as original poster is advocating, there is a vast difference between starting a novice driver and a novice horse in an environment such as a track and to then give the impression that it is so quick and easy that someone could think it was safe to do so on a public road. I really do think it is very irresponsible.
         
        11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mingiz    
    I agree with you. I worked at a training barn with Standerbreds for harness racing. We never started a yearling. We always waited until they were 2 before we did any serious training. If your jogging a yearling 2 miles every day you won't have a race horse for very long. Way too much stress for a yearling....
    serious training? At 2? I highly doubt that. Standardbreds racing careers are supposed to START at 2. 90% of STB racehorses are broke as yearlings, the other 10% are because people don't do anything with them and usually end up just getting rid of them.
    2miles slow is not serious work. Serious work is when she learns to turn and start training down her miles, trying to shave time off as she goes along. She doesnt start this until she turns 2, but is well broke ahead of time in preparation.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lillie    
    absolutly agreeing with everyone who says it is wrong to do this before 2 1/2. And I also question your methods, but I want to add that I think it is extremely foolish and potentially dangerous to advise people you don't know ( or anyone for that matter) to try to break ( I don't like this word, but in this case I think it might be appropriate) to try to break a horse to harness in a week. So many things could go wrong and for someone with no experience or background in driving, to then get caught up in a situation of panicked horse, which hasnt had the correct level of time invested in it , could prove fatal. And much as I don't approve of any horse being started as young as original poster is advocating, there is a vast difference between starting a novice driver and a novice horse in an environment such as a track and to then give the impression that it is so quick and easy that someone could think it was safe to do so on a public road. I really do think it is very irresponsible.
    first off, who said I told anyone to break a horse in a week? She just happened to be a great well mannered horse who learned very quickly due to her previous handling as a weanling and such. I NEVER told anyone to break a horse in a week.
    Secondly, when did I tell someone with no experience to break a horse by themselves? I didnt.
    Third, when did I say anything about driving on the road? I didnt. I don't deal with that. I break and drive racehorses, and that's that. If someone asks me what I believe is a good age to start breaking a horse at, I will say yearling. Because that's what we do.

    There are over 20 yearlings at the track I am currently training at that are jogging just the same as my yearling is. So you can question my methods all you choose, I really don't care. Because obviously a lot of other people have the same methods.
         
        11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
      #16
    Foal
    I am basing my comments on the replies you have made to several threads in the driving section, whereby people are asking advice on how to break thier horse to drive, etc. and in none of them have they said that they are breaking a horse for harness racing. They also havent said where they are driving them or what thier level of experience is. And to be honest, just because it is common practice at your track, or any other track, doesnt make it right or in the best interests of the horse. So I guess we will have to continue to disagree with each other
         
        11-05-2009, 07:42 AM
      #17
    Weanling
    Im trying really hard to stay respectful but dang its hard.

    Why you feel you have to resort to this

    Quote:
    tying the bit back means you tie the bit to the harness so it manipulates the line pulling when she turns her head.
    On a horse that by your words was very willing and compliant I will never know.

    Maybe if you would wait until she's mature mentally and physically you wont have to resort to that.

    The picture to me is heartbreaking and shows a horse that has had enough. You may think its cute or funny but to me it shows a horse in distress. I have never had a horse do that ever. But then I would never try to train a horse to drive in 3 days.

    Horses live on average 20 years so why would anyone try to do it all when they are only a yearling. Again people need to think LONG TERM not just TODAY. What is the rush??? In rated shows she cannot show in driving until she's 3!

    We don't "break" horses here - we train them.
         
        11-05-2009, 07:58 AM
      #18
    Yearling
    She layed down once, and that was it. I've seen adult horses lay down. I've seen horses that chronically lay down every time they are hooked to a cart because they were never broken of the habit.

    She didnt like the feeling of the bit, so instead of throwing a temper tantrum and throwing herself all over, rearing, striking, etc. she layed down. Obviously it wasnt that traumatic if she layed there eating grass. If she was that stressed she would have been blowing and sweating, not eating grass.

    As far as adivce I've given people. Its a forum. People are coming on for advice from all types of people. Just because YOU don't agree doesnt mean your advice is right and someone elses is wrong. Everyone has their own way of doing things. If it works for them then fine.

    But so far I've been called irresponsable, and foolish. As far as im concerned that's not called for. Had I been a new member I would have been out of here ASAP. Keep this in mind when posting. Some people don't appreciate it, and it WILL drive new members away.
         
        11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
      #19
    Weanling
    I have not called you or anyone else names. There are always many ways to do something.

    But this is an open forum so just as you have the right to post your opinion, I have the right to disagree, and give my opinion.
         
        11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weefoal    
    I have not called you or anyone else names. There are always many ways to do something.

    But this is an open forum so just as you have the right to post your opinion, I have the right to disagree, and give my opinion.
    i didnt say you did at all. I don't mind opinions, but when someone calls someone names for the way they train or such, that's uncalled for. Everyone has different ways of doing things. Sometimes you have to suck it up and admit that your way isnt the only way to do something. I never called anyone dumb or anything for waiting until the horse is older to break. Do I agree, maybe not, but that's not my decision.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    how far would you drive? Angel_Leaguer Horse Shows 7 09-11-2009 03:23 PM
    How far did you drive? Lucara Horse Talk 21 08-29-2009 04:32 PM
    Got to drive! StormyBlues Driving 3 08-03-2009 02:25 PM
    Does Anyone Drive a Sleigh? LauraB Driving 11 01-14-2009 05:36 PM
    does anyone drive? englishcowgrl Horse Talk 6 11-18-2008 07:55 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0