Harness Racing - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 147
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
im confused here. STBs arent supposed to be big, 15-16hh at the largest. And truthfully your pacers will look more like early STBs as they tend to be sleeker and longer legged. Early STBs more resembled TBs (though a tad bit heavier), as that's who they originated from (Messenger). Your trotters tend to be stockier and heavier than pacers, and sometimes shorter.
What are you on about? Im sorry but there is no specific height a STB has to be. Look At Delft he was around 17.2-3hh and a very succesful group one Trotter. And STB used to be heavier set horses and have been breed into lighter horses more recently... Maybe its the different parts of the world...

R.I.P Red aka The Man Himself 1996-16.01.08
Sea To Sky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
yeah trotters can be tough. We have one that is really hard to keep flat, really really hard. We have 2 others that are wonderful. One is 3 and has never made a break but once in his life when there was confusion in a race and he ran over someones wheel. He's going to be a really nice horse, he's made money for us and we havent really had to ever push him in a race to go. The other trotter we claimed, had had 4 quarter cracks, one in each foot. They were so bad they were causing wall separation and they were infected. We got him fixed up and he hasnt missed but 1 check and we scoped him after the race and he was pretty sick.
AlmagroN is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 75
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
yeah trotters can be tough. We have one that is really hard to keep flat, really really hard. We have 2 others that are wonderful. One is 3 and has never made a break but once in his life when there was confusion in a race and he ran over someones wheel. He's going to be a really nice horse, he's made money for us and we havent really had to ever push him in a race to go. The other trotter we claimed, had had 4 quarter cracks, one in each foot. They were so bad they were causing wall separation and they were infected. We got him fixed up and he hasnt missed but 1 check and we scoped him after the race and he was pretty sick.
I hear ya on the trotters! We have one that will just make a break for the heck of it!!!! We did however come to the conclusion he has EPM .. however the stupid trainer neglects to do anything about it and then WONDER why he's galloping around for a mile lol!

"Anything forced or misunderstood can never be beautiful." -Xenophon
KristinJ is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan...blah
Posts: 641
• Horses: 2
I have only drivin a Standered bred. Wow are they fast! Lol

Sonny-13 yr. old Qurab Gelding
xoSonnyLove1234 is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 147
• Horses: 4
Ah yea one we had that's just left had some talent, But she had no manners and yea she just break for no reason, But when on the occasion she had a good run she could do well, won a couple of breeders crown heats as a 3yo and a few other easy wins (her last start she won by like 12L before she went to a new trainer). Those are the most frustrating horses because you know they have it in them!

R.I.P Red aka The Man Himself 1996-16.01.08
Sea To Sky is offline  
post #26 of 46 Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea To Sky View Post
Ah yea one we had that's just left had some talent, But she had no manners and yea she just break for no reason, But when on the occasion she had a good run she could do well, won a couple of breeders crown heats as a 3yo and a few other easy wins (her last start she won by like 12L before she went to a new trainer). Those are the most frustrating horses because you know they have it in them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinJ View Post
I hear ya on the trotters! We have one that will just make a break for the heck of it!!!! We did however come to the conclusion he has EPM .. however the stupid trainer neglects to do anything about it and then WONDER why he's galloping around for a mile lol!

I don't believe horses ever make a break for the heck of it... theres something there that you are missing. They will maybe stop or try to pull up because they don't feel like racing, but there are many other things they would choose to do than make a break in a race "for the heck of it". As far as the EPM, if you don't take care of it, you will have nothing of a horse.... I hate when people wont fix a problem....
AlmagroN is offline  
post #27 of 46 Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 147
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
i don't believe horses ever make a break for the heck of it... theres something there that you are missing. They will maybe stop or try to pull up because they don't feel like racing, but there are many other things they would choose to do than make a break in a race "for the heck of it". As far as the EPM, if you don't take care of it, you will have nothing of a horse.... I hate when people wont fix a problem....
Go away if your only here to pick fights and stop acting like you know better than anyone im getting sick of you arguing with what everyone says. This isnt a crit post.
A) There is no way you can prove that some horses just break because they feel like it or just don't like the pressure (which theres not alot you can do about it)
B) These horses I am takling about are trained by one of the best trainers in the southern hemisphere who has got many horses trotting and winning group ones that have previously been given up on so there is no way you have the right to go throwing accusations about not trying to fix problems, and not caring about the horse.

R.I.P Red aka The Man Himself 1996-16.01.08
Sea To Sky is offline  
post #28 of 46 Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea To Sky View Post
Go away if your only here to pick fights and stop acting like you know better than anyone im getting sick of you arguing with what everyone says. This isnt a crit post.
A) There is no way you can prove that some horses just break because they feel like it or just don't like the pressure (which theres not alot you can do about it)
B) These horses I am takling about are trained by one of the best trainers in the southern hemisphere who has got many horses trotting and winning group ones that have previously been given up on so there is no way you have the right to go throwing accusations about not trying to fix problems, and not caring about the horse.
um excuse me, you need to read posts and UNDERSTAND them before you start telling people to "go away".
First off you just said there is no way you can prove that someones horses break just because they feel like it- WHICH IS WHAT I SAID. Its my OPINION that horses DO NOT break for the heck of it, and just because you work for a trainer, does not mean you know everything. Try actually training horses, its much different than being a groom.....
And what I said about people not fixing problems was IN AGREEMENT with KristenJ about a horse who has EMP but the trainer is doing nothing about it.

A forum is not somewhere you need to be if you just want to hear people agree with everything you say.
AlmagroN is offline  
post #29 of 46 Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmagroN View Post
um excuse me, you need to read posts and UNDERSTAND them before you start telling people to "go away".
First off you just said there is no way you can prove that someones horses break just because they feel like it- WHICH IS WHAT I SAID. Its my OPINION that horses DO NOT break for the heck of it, and just because you work for a trainer, does not mean you know everything. Try actually training horses, its much different than being a groom.....
And what I said about people not fixing problems was IN AGREEMENT with KristenJ about a horse who has EMP but the trainer is doing nothing about it.

A forum is not somewhere you need to be if you just want to hear people agree with everything you say.
sorry we arent all sitting here bragging about who we work for like it makes us special... so far the only thing you seem to know is popular horses and the trainer you work for. You seem to know nothing about the history of the breed or racing itself.
AlmagroN is offline  
post #30 of 46 Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea To Sky View Post
What are you on about? Im sorry but there is no specific height a STB has to be. Look At Delft he was around 17.2-3hh and a very succesful group one Trotter. And STB used to be heavier set horses and have been breed into lighter horses more recently... Maybe its the different parts of the world...
STBs height is 15-16hh im not saying that they can't be taller or shorter, im saying THIS IS BREED STANDARD. And no, STBs were NOT heavier. They were built like TBs of which they originated from. And STBs are being bred heavier now for more power, not lighter.
AlmagroN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
harness care jimmy Driving 10 11-09-2009 04:01 PM
harness question jwhisperj Driving 6 07-03-2009 11:49 PM
Harness wanted Greys Park Lodge Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 05-29-2009 01:32 AM
used driveing harness Dave Driving 1 03-30-2008 10:53 PM
driving harness KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-07-2007 10:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome