How do you "Parking" your cart
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Driving

How do you "Parking" your cart

This is a discussion on How do you "Parking" your cart within the Driving forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
      #1
    Green Broke
    How do you "Parking" your cart

    Since JJ had his first trip to 711 and did very well I want to start taking him more often. Last time I had the BM come with me since it was a slow day but next time I'm not sure I'll have another person to come with me so I'll have to tie him... if that's "legal" in the driving world. He ties solidly, I've never seen him sit back on the rope or try to break loose and I've left him tied in the barn with the cart ready to go. No tying problems ever.

    Another thought I had was to use the halter under the bridle as the "first line of defense" and maybe get him a neck collar God forbid he managed to get loose off the first line. There is a lot of traffic where I live and I don't know what I would do if he some how managed to get himself loose!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-04-2013, 05:51 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    Since JJ had his first trip to 711 and did very well I want to start taking him more often. Last time I had the BM come with me since it was a slow day but next time I'm not sure I'll have another person to come with me so I'll have to tie him... if that's "legal" in the driving world. He ties solidly, I've never seen him sit back on the rope or try to break loose and I've left him tied in the barn with the cart ready to go. No tying problems ever.

    Another thought I had was to use the halter under the bridle as the "first line of defense" and maybe get him a neck collar God forbid he managed to get loose off the first line. There is a lot of traffic where I live and I don't know what I would do if he some how managed to get himself loose!
    You should definitely use a halter and a lead rope. But what would you tie him to? Ideally to something like a hitching post that he couldn't walk forward
    smrobs and michaelvanessa like this.
         
        09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
      #3
    Showing
    I would probably use a rope halter with a tied on lead just so he couldn't get loose even if he did set back.

    Also agree that you'll need to tie to something that will keep him from walking forward...and something sturdy enough to hold if he pulls. Only thing worse than a loose horse pulling a cart would be a loose horse pulling a cart with a chunk of fencing dragging under his feet and spooking him more.
         
        09-04-2013, 06:28 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Thank God he is only a mini donkey and not a full size horse. There is a free standing solid cement pole or a tree right in front of a fence I could use. I didn't get a good chance to scope it out, those were just things I saw from afar.

    I absolutely will tie him with a halter and lead. I'm going to order a rope one, but for now I have a non-breakaway nylon one.

    Sorry for the title! It originally said "parking" your cart. When I added in how to I forgot to take out the "-ing". Anyway a mod could change it (if its not asking to much of course)?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    smrobs likes this.
         
        09-04-2013, 06:39 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlideStop    
    Thank God he is only a mini donkey and not a full size horse. There is a free standing solid cement pole or a tree right in front of a fence I could use. I didn't get a good chance to scope it out, those were just things I saw from afar.

    I absolutely will tie him with a halter and lead. I'm going to order a rope one, but for now I have a non-breakaway nylon one.

    Sorry for the title! It originally said "parking" your cart. When I added in how to I forgot to take out the "-ing". Anyway a mod could change it (if its not asking to much of course)?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    But what happens if he tries to walk around the pole and gets the shaft caught? These are things to think about.
    littrella and michaelvanessa like this.
         
        09-04-2013, 06:53 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    Ok, so its not the best option and now that you said it I see why. That's why I'm here, to find out what and where would be the best place. You don't know what you don't know.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by churumbeque    
    But what happens if he tries to walk around the pole and gets the shaft caught? These are things to think about.

    JMO, but if you don't have someone to go with you, I wouldn't try "parking" him. Too much can happen too fast.

    Also, rope halter work quite well under driving bridles. My mentor uses one, something to do with the CDE event's she does, if the groom touches the actuall bridle, they get docked points or disqualified ( can't remember at this time)
    Corporal and michaelvanessa like this.
         
        09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    hitching post going to the shops.

    Churumbeque is right and areing on caution.
    If you do go down to the store I think its best to take a groom with you to keep a watchfull eye on your horse.
    A halter would be the better option.
    Also a bungie backed up with a lead rope just in casefrom the bit over the head and back through the bit with a bit more slack than the bungie.
    Here is a bungie I have got for my new trailer.

    DSCF4134.JPG

    But I would recomend a groom to acompaney the horse espeasherley on todays roads I think that's the safest way.
    Or get your horse a nose bag so his mind is on eating his food whilst you shop that could be another idear whilst he/she is tied to a hitching post.
         
        09-04-2013, 07:05 PM
      #9
    Green Broke
    I wouldn't consider it if I wasnt 100% sure he ties like a champ. Honestly, I'm more worried about him untieing himself (he enjoys playing with the lead line) or other people possiblely messing with him. The store is a convenience store, I'd be in and out in under 3-4 minutes.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    michaelvanessa likes this.
         
        09-04-2013, 07:15 PM
      #10
    Yearling
    horse untieing.

    Ill make you laugh on the barn wall we have tie rings and we have a peice of nylon baleing twine as a panic device as it would snap.
    Ok heres what he does if you pass the lead rope through the bailing twine and do a slip knot if you pulled the long end it would untie the knot so we pass the long part through the loop.
    He wisend up and pulled the rope through the loop and untied him self so I doubled it up through the loop.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    My "new" Meadowbrook Cart Lilley Driving 7 08-24-2013 08:27 AM
    Cart or 4 wheeled vehicle for "trail riding"... Crackling Pine Farm Driving 6 01-04-2013 09:29 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0