How would you have handled this driving class? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 408
• Horses: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfieldk View Post
Sorry, but no. These horses had something chasing after them (carts and men in white coats!). There is no way in hell that horse would see, recognize, and stop for someone 'waving their arms'. There is a difference between a scared horse, and one running in blind panic. I've seen them run over barrels, into trees, etc. A person waving their arms? Doesn't stand a chance.
I'm not going to turn this into an argument, but I have seen a carriage horse go from a gallop to a dead stop because of someone standing in front of the horse, waving their arms and telling the horse to 'whoa.' If the people in that ring had done something similar, rather than trying to stand off to the side and hope that they can catch the reins, that video wouldn't be nearly as long as it is.
xilikeggs0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 557
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilikeggs0 View Post
I'm not going to turn this into an argument, but I have seen a carriage horse go from a gallop to a dead stop because of someone standing in front of the horse, waving their arms and telling the horse to 'whoa.' If the people in that ring had done something similar, rather than trying to stand off to the side and hope that they can catch the reins, that video wouldn't be nearly as long as it is.
I am sorry but it is very dangerous to step in front of a horse with a cart attached to it while it is moving. Do you have any idea of what the tip of that shaft could do to you if it hit you at that speed?

Someone stole my %&#*@&% Carrot!
LauraB is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 221
• Horses: 1
That was strange, the guy driving the runaway horse was in the cart then all of a sudden he was out.
Did you notice how at 1:30 a guy almost gets run over, there was another one too. Why stand in front of a scared horse???? With blinders on as well.

At the same time, I think they still handled it some what well, considering you cant really just stop a mad galloping horse.

He knows when you're happy.
He knows when you're confident.
And he always knows when you have carrots.
xx chico is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Yup, panic is so totally different. The horse ran into other horses for heaven's sake! You wanna risk your life and try to stop it by waving your arms, xilikeggs0? You just go right ahead. I'll call 911 for you.
NorthernMama is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 221
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmama View Post
Yup, panic is so totally different. The horse ran into other horses for heaven's sake! You wanna risk your life and try to stop it by waving your arms, xilikeggs0? You just go right ahead. I'll call 911 for you.


xilikeggs0 - Are you referring to something you were told once? I have been told by a few others that horses will not run you over, they will simply run around you or 'jump' over you (if your laying down i'd assume lol). This statement, yes can be very true, but in a situation where the horse is in extreme panic for its life, standing in front of the horse can result in some very bad results.
If this is not what you meant, please do explain what you were talking about. (And just to make sure nothing nasty comes out of this, I'm not trying to argue with you on your opinion, just understand it a little bit more )

He knows when you're happy.
He knows when you're confident.
And he always knows when you have carrots.
xx chico is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New River, Az
Posts: 2,472
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx chico View Post
That was strange, the guy driving the runaway horse was in the cart then all of a sudden he was out.
.
When I first saw this I thought he bailed, but then I think maybe the cart bumped the wall and he fell out... show carts don't have much (if anything) of a back to them and are easy to tumble out the back if the wheel hits the wall like I THINK it does (hard to see due to the angle)
CheyAut is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 408
• Horses: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
I am sorry but it is very dangerous to step in front of a horse with a cart attached to it while it is moving. Do you have any idea of what the tip of that shaft could do to you if it hit you at that speed?
That's why I pointed out that the guy at 1:30 stepped in front of the horse at the last minute and got run over. The guy at the other time I posted (5:something?) was standing in front of the horse, somewhat stood his ground, and he horse swerved to avoid him.
xilikeggs0 is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 408
• Horses: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx chico View Post


xilikeggs0 - Are you referring to something you were told once? I have been told by a few others that horses will not run you over, they will simply run around you or 'jump' over you (if your laying down i'd assume lol). This statement, yes can be very true, but in a situation where the horse is in extreme panic for its life, standing in front of the horse can result in some very bad results.
If this is not what you meant, please do explain what you were talking about. (And just to make sure nothing nasty comes out of this, I'm not trying to argue with you on your opinion, just understand it a little bit more )
Yes, it is something that I've been told, but I'm speaking from experience. I've seen it happen multiple times with runaway horses, including a carriage horse once. They will not run you over if they can avoid it. They will either slam on the brakes or go around you. If you step out in front of a runaway horse, yes, you will probably get run over. But if you're standing far enough away that the horse has time to see you and stop, they won't do it.
xilikeggs0 is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 94
• Horses: 0
I cant view the clip as yet .... will have to wait til I use another computer, but does sound quite horrid.

I understand this particular time, it was your U.S. style of show carts, but since so many people on the interent are not aware of the workings of harness, its probably best not to suggest to stand in front of a bolting carriage horse, for safety reasons. If the panicked horse doesnt run you over, the vehicle probably will as its far wider then the horse. We would hate to hear of people getting hurt by doing this.

Harness is a very pleasureable and romanticised horse sport, but it does require a certain level of respect. Hopefully this clip will not have turned anyone off the sport, but just offer people the chance to respect what so many others (including myself) love and enjoy doing.

Happy and safe driving everyone.


Regards,


Laura.
orchid park is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
One, why are the people in the stands screaming? They need to shut up. All that they are doing is making a situation worse.
Two, I would of let first horse let it run itself out, and kept it on the rail. That could of prevented everything.

Those are amazing horses, so beautiful, and graceful...
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UMID M1 gets official, handled on video Jehanzeb Technology 0 02-23-2009 04:27 AM
Adrenain rush: I handled the animal with the deadlisest venom today!!! Kiki General Off Topic Discussion 16 01-19-2009 12:34 AM
How to win a WP class??? Horse_Chick Western Riding 5 12-03-2008 04:54 PM
what class? xXxDouganxXx Horse Shows 4 07-10-2008 04:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome