Want to talk bits for a minute - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton View Post
That is one versatile horse!! I do not think he looks unhappy in harness; I do think he looks aware of his surroundings.
Yeah - Shaman loves to drive. The BO noted a couple weeks ago that when I am getting ready to saddle him, Shaman will stand ground tied without any fussing for about 15 to 20 minutes - total grooming and saddleing time.

The first time in the new cart, he stood for about 90 minutes while we fussed to make sure that everything was just right. Not one hoof moved or shifted the whole time. Once hitched - he had his animated Saddlebred trot - even though we only drove for about 20 minutes. To get that same trot under saddle, he has to be told to do it and I am the only person who can get it.

At the medieval events, oh yeah, he is watching everywhere. As a Saddlebred, he is always high headed unless there is something wrong with him physically.

He is such a joy to drive.

Last edited by Mike_Admin; 05-15-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
yadlim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadlim View Post
At the medieval events, oh yeah, he is watching everywhere. As a Saddlebred, he is always high headed unless there is something wrong with him physically.

He is such a joy to drive.
A spotted Saddlebread, I love him.

Last edited by Mike_Admin; 05-15-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
I got so excited when i saw this bit, I think it is exactly what you want. Unfortunatly it has sold but they are out there.

17.5 wide tree St. Lourdes saddle, myler bit, wintec gullets for sale!
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #34 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
Yes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton View Post
I got so excited when i saw this bit, I think it is exactly what you want. Unfortunatly it has sold but they are out there.

17.5 wide tree St. Lourdes saddle, myler bit, wintec gullets for sale!
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for! It means that they are out there! Now I just have to find one! But knowing that what I am looking for exists is half the battle!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

(Doing the happy dance!!!)
yadlim is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
after looking at a few of your pictures I would work on getting the horse round and supple. This will help with your driving and riding and I bet then bits won't be such an issue. Looks like he needs some basics and learning some collection and softness will make a big difference in how he responds and relaxes.
churumbeque is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
after looking at a few of your pictures I would work on getting the horse round and supple. This will help with your driving and riding and I bet then bits won't be such an issue. Looks like he needs some basics and learning some collection and softness will make a big difference in how he responds and relaxes.
I am going to assume you are trying to help and that it that way!

Yes, my horse is VERY high headed. The only driving pics you have seen have been from 10 years ago and over 500 miles of drivng ago - so they do NOT represent his current state of driving training. If my issue with graysorral can be worked out (hopefully friendly) I will post pics as I plan to hitch this weekend. I will be actively asking for opinions on those!

I did post one of my riding - and he was PISSED at the time. He absulute HATES ponying other horses and it shows in every inch of his being! It was just one only pic I coudl find that actually showed his riding bit.

I do think that Shaman needs to supple up and get more rounded. We worked out that some of our issues with rounding him was a bad fitting saddle. With his new saddlle, his riding is improving greatly as he feels free to get his butt under him and be able to move freely.

After four (five?) years out of harness, we are going to need to do a lot of work to soften him and get him working in proper frame in the shafts. So far, being hitched once since his break, we have been focusing excusuively on being relaxed, turns, and whoa.

Any suggestions on getting his properly rounded and supple in harness? I would love to hear them!
yadlim is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the red fern grows....
Posts: 1,293
• Horses: 4
Yadlim, I hold no animosity toward you at all. I hope you work out all your doing with your horse and you do so safely and in the proper manner.

My QH gelding has arthritic changes and we have him massaged monthly. I take his favorite treat and standing a little behind his shoulder ask him to bend his neck toward me, 2 to 3 times each side, if he takes his time that is fine. I will take his legs and bend them for him, he will stretch it straight out in front of him, with me holding his hoof with my hands cupped behind his hoof bulbs, we don't raise it high but enough to allow some stretching, as if you were doing it with your own leg.

Can you ground drive your horse using long lines and walk behind him, go back to basics and at a walk, start there and ask for bending, turning, backing. While my team has a lot of time under their harness, when I begin working them at the start of each year, I ground drive them. I have a gravel road and when I know everyone is at work we go out, I as them to turn, to stand, to do half turns, backing as one. I get exercise, which I need, and they get out and we have a relaxing walk, refreshing on everything they would do on the fore cart.

Would this help you with making your horse more supple? Hope it helps.
GreySorrel is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadlim View Post
I am going to assume you are trying to help and that it that way!

Yes, my horse is VERY high headed. The only driving pics you have seen have been from 10 years ago and over 500 miles of drivng ago - so they do NOT represent his current state of driving training. If my issue with graysorral can be worked out (hopefully friendly) I will post pics as I plan to hitch this weekend. I will be actively asking for opinions on those!

I did post one of my riding - and he was PISSED at the time. He absulute HATES ponying other horses and it shows in every inch of his being! It was just one only pic I coudl find that actually showed his riding bit.

I do think that Shaman needs to supple up and get more rounded. We worked out that some of our issues with rounding him was a bad fitting saddle. With his new saddlle, his riding is improving greatly as he feels free to get his butt under him and be able to move freely.

After four (five?) years out of harness, we are going to need to do a lot of work to soften him and get him working in proper frame in the shafts. So far, being hitched once since his break, we have been focusing excusuively on being relaxed, turns, and whoa.

Any suggestions on getting his properly rounded and supple in harness? I would love to hear them!
Too much to explain over the internet but I would suggest auditing some classical horsemanship type clinics. I have been to a few clinics and the basic principles are the same and auditing is much less expensive that attending with a horse. It is alot of information to take in but after you attend a few they make more sense and it is easier to understand
I have been working on longlining and getting my horse to step under herself with half halts. I will add that most people do not know what a proper half halt is and do not do them correctly and I learned about it watching Muffy Seatons dvd bending the driving horse and others have a different technique than hers. I also do lots of ground work to push my horse forward to extend her stride and not break gait.
churumbeque is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
Too much to explain over the internet but I would suggest auditing some classical horsemanship type clinics. I have been to a few clinics and the basic principles are the same and auditing is much less expensive that attending with a horse. It is alot of information to take in but after you attend a few they make more sense and it is easier to understand
I have been working on longlining and getting my horse to step under herself with half halts. I will add that most people do not know what a proper half halt is and do not do them correctly and I learned about it watching Muffy Seatons dvd bending the driving horse and others have a different technique than hers. I also do lots of ground work to push my horse forward to extend her stride and not break gait.
That's kewl! Being a Western trail rider, I have heard the term half-halt, but have no clue what it means. We will continue to slowly move forward and work on how I know how to round - though I really havn't asked him of it in several years. It will be fun!

Thanks
yadlim is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 409
• Horses: 0
Thank you for the post - this was great!

I take his favorite treat and standing a little behind his shoulder ask him to bend his neck toward me, 2 to 3 times each side, if he takes his time that is fine.

This I do all the time, both on the ground and in saddle - to keep his front end flexable.

I will take his legs and bend them for him, he will stretch it straight out in front of him, with me holding his hoof with my hands cupped behind his hoof bulbs, we don't raise it high but enough to allow some stretching, as if you were doing it with your own leg.

I actually do this to, but not for the same reason. Now that I think about it, it is a great stretch for the horse. We use it to make sure the girth is settled correctly without any pinched hair before we ride. I will have to make sure to add it to our hitching regime.

Can you ground drive your horse using long lines and walk behind him, go back to basics and at a walk, start there and ask for bending, turning, backing.

Actually, this is just about ALL we have been doing for the last two months. The only problem here is that he is so much faster than I am, that we do a lot of serpentines back and forth down the arena. I walk straight down the arena while he trots first to one side wall, makes the turn without breaking gait, then off towards the other side.

What I don't get doing this, is any sort of collection. We always start out with his Saddlebred fancy trot which is very strong in my hands, but once he calms down (about 15 minutes) he gives me a nice easy jog and pretty smooth (though no where near perfectly smooth) turns. At any time I can say "WHOA" and he stops dead.

While my team has a lot of time under their harness, when I begin working them at the start of each year, I ground drive them. I have a gravel road and when I know everyone is at work we go out, I as them to turn, to stand, to do half turns, backing as one. I get exercise, which I need, and they get out and we have a relaxing walk, refreshing on everything they would do on the fore cart.

How do you do half turns? I am not driving a team and I am (at least sitting at a chair in front of the computer) having trouble seeing how to do a half turn with a single.

We have been concentratingn on smoothness. No shape bends - he has been ridden so much lately he has fortten that the cart is goign to take longer to turn. "WHOA" is a constant that I don't think it is possible to work too much on. We also work on standing for long periods of time - just in case.

I have also added an overcheck to his harness - actually his new harness came with one and I have been using it. The person who taught me to drive thought overchecks were the devil - but I found that with Shaman's natural headset, we almost never engage it.

Would this help you with making your horse more supple? Hope it helps.

Please please tell me more about the half turns - it might just be that I know it by a different name, but I woudl like to learn!

Thanks for the help!!! I will try to get pics this weekend and ask for your opinion!
yadlim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Minute Doodle MangoRoX87 Horse Artwork 9 02-09-2012 07:20 PM
Heyyyyy, wait a minute. lubylol Horse Breeding 19 09-17-2011 09:02 AM
The 5 Minute Management Course Angel_Leaguer General Off Topic Discussion 2 10-03-2008 11:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome