Hey guys! Thanks for all the awesome responses!
I decided not to do this ride. Boo! Worked picked up and I had to travel and have been unable to put time and miles on Dory consistently for a few weeks so she's had off and got to mingle with buddies a large paddock. Definitely a road-bump in my plan. Fortunately, things are settling back down and hopefully they remain that way. Rode her today and she did amazing
for all the time she's had off. Dare I say she did better in the arena than our last ride after this break? Weird. Glad she isn't one to get spoiled or lose too much condition when given a break.
But, I don't think I have enough conditioning time remaining and I don't want to risk it. We might still go just so she can get out and experience the hustle and bustle but without the added stress of doing the ride.
Originally Posted by Joe4d
Another thing is to set yourself up for success. Look at the ride calander and pick your ride. Your on a QH ? I think you mentioned. Pick the colder less humid time of year to debut.
She's an Arabian, a little thicker than average however. Also seems to be an "easier keeper" than the average Arab if you know what I mean, haha. That's something the break didn't help...
The farm is thinking about having an endurance ride this Sep/Oct when it's a bit cooler. This might be an even better opportunity; it will give us plenty of time to condition and it will be great as our first ride since it's right at home.
In the meanwhile, more conditioning (and more lessons) for us! :)