Can he do endurance?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Can he do endurance?

This is a discussion on Can he do endurance? within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree5Likes
    • 1 Post By horsecrazygirl13
    • 3 Post By Joe4d
    • 1 Post By horsecrazygirl13

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    Can he do endurance?

    Hi there, I was wondering what a horse needs for endurance riding. I'm interested in this sport and would like to go on an endurance ride with my gelding in a few years. How old do horses have to be to be strong enough to go on an endurance race? Here are a few pictures of my horse Duke to give you an idea how he's built. He's only two and I'm not riding him yet.


    This is a pic of him cantering. I have been told that he has a very upright shoulder, but he can stick out his front legs pretty well(at Least I think so). These pics are just to show how he moves.



    Here he is also cantering...
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    For sanctioned AERC endurance he needs to be 5yo, youd have to check the rule books of other organizations for their rules. I see canada, so I am thinking cool weather not humid, he probably would be fine. I am sure once conditioned and assuming sound he could do endurance. Now doing and doing well isnt the same thing. All depends on what level you want to compete.
         
        06-24-2013, 06:23 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    for sanctioned AERC endurance he needs to be 5yo, youd have to check the rule books of other organizations for their rules. I see canada, so I am thinking cool weather not humid, he probably would be fine. I am sure once conditioned and assuming sound he could do endurance. Now doing and doing well isnt the same thing. All depends on what level you want to compete.
    I just want to do beginner stuff at first. And we'll see how well he does. I was just wondering if endurance horses have to wear shoes? He's barefoot and I don't want to change that because I think it's healthier.
         
        06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    You can always boot him. Most endurance riders do. Check out Renegade hoof boots
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-24-2013, 07:35 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Faustinblack    
    You can always boot him. Most endurance riders do. Check out Renegade hoof boots
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sounds good!
         
        06-24-2013, 07:44 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    Most ? Umm not quite, most endurance riders including ten year teams run steel shoes.
    And barefoot isnt healthier if your horse goes lame. AERC seldom has tack rules. They pretty much let you decide what works for you.
         
        06-24-2013, 08:05 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    Most ? Umm not quite, most endurance riders including ten year teams run steel shoes.
    And barefoot isnt healthier if your horse goes lame. AERC seldom has tack rules. They pretty much let you decide what works for you.
    If I only do endurance once a year, I don't think it's worth for him to wear shoes just for that. Why shouldnt boots work? Maybe glue-on shoes? I heard about those but I don't know much about them. Would those work?
    phantomhorse13 likes this.
         
        06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Yoour not just going to show up at a ride and ride, youve got 3 years of training and conditioning and trainign ahead of you. You havent even ridden the horse yet, kinda premature to be making hoof protection decisions. All going to depend on the horse, hoof growth conformation, terrain you train on, terrain you will ride on, how much hassel you are comfortable with, and on and on, you'll just have to wait and see what will work best.
         
        06-24-2013, 08:14 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    yoour not just going to show up at a ride and ride, youve got 3 years of training and conditioning and trainign ahead of you. You havent even ridden the horse yet, kinda premature to be making hoof protection decisions. All going to depend on the horse, hoof growth conformation, terrain you train on, terrain you will ride on, how much hassel you are comfortable with, and on and on, you'll just have to wait and see what will work best.
    Yeah I do agree. I'm just looking at possibilities. FIRST though, I'll let him grow up!
    phantomhorse13 likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Endurance Riders (or anyone interested in endurance) in NE Oregon or SE Washington? jillybean19 Endurance Riding 1 11-17-2012 11:11 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0