Easyboots & Renegades
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Easyboots & Renegades

This is a discussion on Easyboots & Renegades within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Is it okay to glue on renegades 3 days before a ride
  • Easyboot glove endurance

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
  #1
Weanling
Easyboots & Renegades

I know someone just posted a similar question (which I read), however I would like to get opinions on two specific boot brands. I'm currently on the market for my first pair of boots but unsure which ones to purchase. This summer I worked out in Utah where all the endurance horses were ridden in Easyboots and I loved the idea of keeping the horses barefoot. Although the Easyboots were my first booting experience I'm also super curious about the Renegades. So now I'm torn between the Easyboot Gloves and the Renegades! If anyone has experiences with either, or even better BOTH, please do share! Or if you have never booted your horses but want to, which would you choose? And let's say this choice is on an unliminted budget (I know the Renegades are more expensive, lol) I'd like to know the pros & cons of both boots. Thank you!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-28-2012, 08:47 PM
  #2
Green Broke
People using easyboots simply don't know any better. Renegades are a far superior design they just havent been around very long. In my experience, easy boots are a royal pain to put on, many people carry a rubber mallet, the trim and fit is very critical, especially with a zero adjustment shoe like the glove. Renegades are simple to put on and stay on, fit isnt super critical either. Get a frest trim with a basic chamfered edge, ALA the mustang role measure and order.
     
    12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
  #3
Green Broke
^^ How well do Renegades stay on in rough conditions? (Mud, creek crossings, galloping, rocks, etc.)
     
    12-29-2012, 12:16 AM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
People using easyboots simply don't know any better. Renegades are a far superior design they just havent been around very long. In my experience, easy boots are a royal pain to put on, many people carry a rubber mallet, the trim and fit is very critical, especially with a zero adjustment shoe like the glove. Renegades are simple to put on and stay on, fit isnt super critical either. Get a frest trim with a basic chamfered edge, ALA the mustang role measure and order.
People using Renegades simply don't know any better. Easyboots are a far superior design as they are a much better fit for the horse, but that makes them a little trickier to get on and off. In my experience, easy boots are a royal pain to put on until you figure it out, many people carry a rubber mallet, the trim and fit is very critical, especially with a zero adjustment shoe like the glove. That's what makes them stick on and fit so well. Renegades are simple to put on and stay on, fit isn't super critical either, though they fall off and slip a lot more. Oftentimes, I've had people remove Renegades in bad weather and muddy conditions because their horse was having trouble and would have lost boots, while my Easyboots were snug and working perfectly for the entire ride. In addition, the contraptions to hold Renegades can break, as I've seen happen on many occasions.
Pattilou likes this.
     
    12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
  #5
QOS
Green Broke
I haven't used the Renegades. I have used the Easy Boot Gloves and they are pretty darn terrific. Have saved several rides. They have come off a few times on my horse but actually wasn't in deep mud - while they came off of his hoof, they didn't come off of his ankle so I never lost one. My boy always stands like a sweetheart when it has come off. I don't have a problem getting them on - no rubber mallet. I put it on his hoof, tap it with my hand and let him set his foot down. He may have to take a step to actually get it set in place but so what? It fits him quiet nicely. Love them.
     
    12-29-2012, 02:12 AM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOS    
I haven't used the Renegades. I have used the Easy Boot Gloves and they are pretty darn terrific. Have saved several rides. They have come off a few times on my horse but actually wasn't in deep mud - while they came off of his hoof, they didn't come off of his ankle so I never lost one. My boy always stands like a sweetheart when it has come off. I don't have a problem getting them on - no rubber mallet. I put it on his hoof, tap it with my hand and let him set his foot down. He may have to take a step to actually get it set in place but so what? It fits him quiet nicely. Love them.
The first time I ever used my gloves, I wasn't quite sure how to put them on correctly. That's the only time one has ever come off, and it was in the mud, but it the gaiter stayed strapped on so I didn't lose it.

Keep a thing of athletic tape handy, like the Johnson and Johnson kind. If you're worried about a boot coming off (or you just want to be extra secure), wrap the horse's hoof around the bulb and over the front of the hoof a few times. You'll want to get 2-3 inches covered on the front of the hoof positioned so that, with the boot on, the tape comes a little above the top edge of the boot. The ridges on the inside of the boot will have friction as well as making the diameter of the hoof just a little bigger and it'll hold your boot on really well. Just a warning, though - you may need a screw driver to pop them off when you're done because this holds REALLY well! I don't do it every ride, but it's never failed me at the worst ones. Then again, since I learned how to put my boots on properly, they've never failed me anyway.

Another tip with the easy boots is to actually put them on the night before. Put the boot on like you normally would, then put the gaiter on so it's just a little loose. In the morning, undo your gaiter, brush off anything that got stuck in there overnight, and then strap them on tight and you're ready to go! Make sure you take the Gloves off after the ride and clean them off, and don't put a wet one back on. If you're using glue-ons, you don't even have to worry about the gaiter and can leave your boots on the whole multi-day ride.
QOS likes this.
     
    12-29-2012, 02:24 AM
  #7
Yearling
By the way, if you do choose Easyboots, make sure to get a good rasp and talk to your farrier about where to rasp and where not to. It took one 5-minue explanation and I've been doing well ever since. I don't do my actual trimming, I just rasp once a week to keep my Easyboots fitting like they should. I've also found this has helped me become much more familiar with my horse's hoof needs and I feel much more informed and responsible for my horse's well-being. Then again, you could also purchase two sets of boots, which you may very well end up doing anyway since horse's feet change with the seasons.

This all sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure, but the fact that I'm still sticking to my EasyBoot Gloves should say something about how great they truly are.

If you ever happen to run across Dave Rabe (he's an Easyboot rep) at a ride, be sure to ask him about Easyboots and make up some sort of boot issue to repair just so you can hang out in his trailer and look at his decades of endurance pictures, all in shorts and oftentimes shirtless ;)
QOS likes this.
     
    12-29-2012, 09:38 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean19    
By the way, if you do choose Easyboots, make sure to get a good rasp and talk to your farrier about where to rasp and where not to. It took one 5-minue explanation and I've been doing well ever since. I don't do my actual trimming, I just rasp once a week to keep my Easyboots fitting like they should. I've also found this has helped me become much more familiar with my horse's hoof needs and I feel much more informed and responsible for my horse's well-being. Then again, you could also purchase two sets of boots, which you may very well end up doing anyway since horse's feet change with the seasons.

This all sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure, but the fact that I'm still sticking to my EasyBoot Gloves should say something about how great they truly are.

If you ever happen to run across Dave Rabe (he's an Easyboot rep) at a ride, be sure to ask him about Easyboots and make up some sort of boot issue to repair just so you can hang out in his trailer and look at his decades of endurance pictures, all in shorts and oftentimes shirtless ;)
Jillybean19--I am from Vermont, but when I was out in Utah I actually got to meet Dave Rabe multiple times! Always in his jean shorty shorts and white tank top Small world huh?!? I interned with Dian Woodward & Christoph Schork for a couple of months out in Moab so that's where I began familiar with the easyboots. Christoph is also an easyboot rep. So he taught me a lot about proper fit, trimming, and glue ons. I trim & rasp my own horses here in VT so the easyboots may be a good option for me. I'm sure if Christoph knew I am considering the Renegades he'd smack me over the head a couple times The only reason I am weary about buying easyboots is the fact that I know they do come off every now and then. Even when riding Christoph's horses the gloves came off A LOT, and even the gaters ripped off. Now I'm not sure if other factors came into play (galloping on tricky terrain, water in the boot, improper fit due to time restrictions). I know they competed with the glue ons all the time, but I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to glue my own yet. It's a pretty serious process and the hooves have to be dry, dry, dry....something we rarely see up here in the NEK. Anyways, I'm basically trying to convince myself that the easyboots will work for me, but I know that if I end up loosing boots all the time it will make me very upset. Plus my mare has really round hooves that don't seem to fit the easyboot fitting guidelines. Many have suggested that with feet that are equally wide and long, the renegades might fit her better. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
     
    12-29-2012, 10:38 AM
  #9
Green Broke
Pretty much, Easyboots come in two sizes for my horse, can't get em on, and wont stay on.
Renegades even a size too big ,meant for another horse worked fine and got me back the 6 miles back to the trailer. I canter, rack, and flatwalk in renegades in mud, sand gravel across creaks without issue. I only used easy boots a couple time., ROYAL pain in the butt compared to renegades.
     
    12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
  #10
Yearling
Joe, thanks for taking my tonge-in-cheek sense of humor lightly ;) You make an excellent point - Easyboots don't work for your horse. I think the best thing to take away from that is that each horse's feet are different. Honestly, since the endurance world is pretty split down the middle between both types of boots (though, in my area, I believe Easyboots are more popular), it show's they're both good. I know people who stick to their Easyboots despite them being "tougher" absolutely love them. The main reason I hear people like the Renegades is because they're easier and more convenient, but I have a hard time justifying that as a reason to pick a boot. However, I'm likely blinded by the fact that I put a lot of effort and pride into making my Easyboots fit and have never had a problem. I guess the saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegades? What hoof boots do you put on your horse? Thyme Horse Tack Reviews 33 11-16-2013 11:32 AM
Easyboots???? farley Horse Tack and Equipment 10 06-26-2012 02:45 PM
easyboots henia Horse Tack and Equipment 15 10-15-2011 02:41 PM
Easyboots aspin231 Horse Tack and Equipment 2 07-25-2010 02:41 AM
SMB Elites and Easyboots kwal83 Horse Tack and Equipment 0 08-12-2009 09:32 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0