Easyboots & Renegades - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Easyboots & Renegades

This is a discussion on Easyboots & Renegades within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Reenegade cables wear out

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-29-2012, 12:20 PM
  #11
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6    
Jillybean19--I am from Vermont, but when I was out in Utah I actually got to meet Dave Rabe multiple times! Always in his jean shorty shorts and white tank top Small world huh?!? I interned with Dian Woodward & Christoph Schork for a couple of months out in Moab so that's where I began familiar with the easyboots. Christoph is also an easyboot rep. So he taught me a lot about proper fit, trimming, and glue ons. I trim & rasp my own horses here in VT so the easyboots may be a good option for me. I'm sure if Christoph knew I am considering the Renegades he'd smack me over the head a couple times The only reason I am weary about buying easyboots is the fact that I know they do come off every now and then. Even when riding Christoph's horses the gloves came off A LOT, and even the gaters ripped off. Now I'm not sure if other factors came into play (galloping on tricky terrain, water in the boot, improper fit due to time restrictions). I know they competed with the glue ons all the time, but I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to glue my own yet. It's a pretty serious process and the hooves have to be dry, dry, dry....something we rarely see up here in the NEK. Anyways, I'm basically trying to convince myself that the easyboots will work for me, but I know that if I end up loosing boots all the time it will make me very upset. Plus my mare has really round hooves that don't seem to fit the easyboot fitting guidelines. Many have suggested that with feet that are equally wide and long, the renegades might fit her better. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
As for your horse's hooves, that might be a reason for the renegades. Like Joe said, some horse's fee just aren't the right shape for Easyboots since they do have to fit just right. Have you looked into the wides, though? That might help...

You've been in the company of some very well known endurance riders! Of course, they're also quite the opposite. They participate and ride for very different reasons, and so their horses are ridden differently - one for miles and the other for placings. They'll both swear by Easyboots, though. That in itself should say something. Though, I think the style of riding would explain why certain boots come off.

I'm going to go into a little more (biased) detail, but since we're talking about specific riders here, I'm going to PM you. The endurance world is a small one, you know.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
  #12
Green Broke
I don't know about the gloves, but I've got both easyboot Epics and Renegades. I've got 500+ miles on the Epics and around 180 on the Renegades.

I've had the Epics come off twice, both times at a gallop, and one time the gaiter got trashed.....In the 500 miles I've replaced the cables on the Epics which is easy to do and the cable can be bought at a hardware store. This is an advantage to the cable system used on the Renegades as this cable has to come from the manufacturer.

I haven't had a Renegade come off yet, but did replace one of the straps on it not long ago.

You won't go wrong with either, and both are very good boots.

I like the Renegades just a bit better, but only because they're a little easier to get on and off and clean up a little easier.

Frankly, the choice is personal preference IMO.....The gloves don't look as secure as the Epics to me.
gigem88 likes this.
     
    12-29-2012, 01:18 PM
  #13
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger    
In the 500 miles I've replaced the cables on the Epics which is easy to do and the cable can be bought at a hardware store. This is an advantage to the cable system used on the Renegades as this cable has to come from the manufacturer.

I haven't had a Renegade come off yet, but did replace one of the straps on it not long ago.
How easy is it to replace the cable on the Epics compared to Renegades? A friend of mine was testing out the Renegades and the cable broke before she even got out of camp to ride, and she spent the entire afternoon trying to fix it. Eventually, she just gave up and later returned the boots to get Gloves.
     
    12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
  #14
Green Broke
"I put a lot of effort and pride into making my Easyboots fit" combined with the frequent reccommendations to hunt down a dealer or boot rep to get em on.

Kinda proves the point I was making. Personally I use nail on shoes. They have worked for a couple thousand years. I use boots for a spare tire or on a horse that doesnt get rode much. Somethign I can put on, without a hammer, or a super precise trim, or finding the guy in daisy dukes. But if that suits you that's fine, lots of riders are happy with EB gloves and glue ons.
     
    12-29-2012, 11:54 PM
  #15
Foal
I should have some decent input shortly because, wait for it..... I ORDERED MY RENEGADES TODAY!!! Lol I'm insanely excited and can't wait to try them! I only went with fronts for now. Both size 1 with 3/8 cutback in black. I sent pictures to Kirt the owner and he recommended the sizing. The only thing I anticipate being a possible issue is my own learning curve. I plan on asking my farrier to show me how to do maintenance rasping to keep his sizing between trims. Other than that I really think they're going to be perfect! Like I said, I'm overly excited :)
gigem88 likes this.
     
    12-30-2012, 02:49 AM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
"I put a lot of effort and pride into making my Easyboots fit" combined with the frequent reccommendations to hunt down a dealer or boot rep to get em on.

Kinda proves the point I was making. Personally I use nail on shoes. They have worked for a couple thousand years. I use boots for a spare tire or on a horse that doesnt get rode much. Somethign I can put on, without a hammer, or a super precise trim, or finding the guy in daisy dukes. But if that suits you that's fine, lots of riders are happy with EB gloves and glue ons.
I think you misinterpreted that. I do recommend you get someone familiar with fitting them (in my case, my farrier) to give you an introduction to getting them on, off, and how to use them as well as doing your fitting for the first time. From there, you should be set to go on your own. Once I've had a horse get a proper barefoot trim and then fitted with his boots, I take pride in taking responsibility for rasping and caring for his feet to make sure they're comfortable and fitting correctly.

Like you were making a point earlier, sometimes the oldest used things aren't always the best. I prefer boots to shoes because it's still possible for a rock to hit the frog and a horse to come up stone bruised with a shoe. At the speeds we're going, I like to have the entire hoof protected and keep piece of mind. IF you are carrying boots in order to replace a shoe, I do recommend using the Renegades for a few reasons. First, you will probably not be keeping your horse's feet in shape for boots, so the gloves will likely not work for you. They probably won't fit correctly since you haven't been intending for your horse to wear them, and there's no way to adjust them. However, for someone who's using them as their primary means of hoof protection and so are planning on putting the boots on and can make sure their boots fit properly, then the gloves are better and I believe they work better over the distances and terrain we cover. In the case of rough terrain that should only be walked, such as deep backcountry trails, Shoes are better than boots because they can take the beating. But in endurance, our trails are marked out in a way so that you can cover the majority with speed and good footing, so boots are a good fit.

Plus, for me, the boots are going to be cheapest since I only boot at rides and my normal conditioning rides don't require hoof protection. I also don't risk loosing or wearing down a shoe and don't have to pay the farrier prices. Boots should last 300-500 miles. At the rate I'm riding, I'll have this same set of boots for another year or two. Much cheaper than managing shoes all year.
     
    12-30-2012, 09:44 AM
  #17
Weanling
I have used both Easyboots and Renegades extensively. Each has pros and cons.

I find the Easyboots more difficult to put on (as you say, they often require pre-ride rasping). The Renegades are on in seconds. Even though the Renegades don't have to fit exactly, they still need to fit fairly well if you are going to be doing fast riding.

A benefit to Renegades is that if they do come off, in my experience they have remained intact. And are back on in seconds. In my experience when Easyboots come off the gaiters are shredded.

Probably if someone had difficulty replacing a Renegade cable, they did not have the small tool available that comes with the boot. Renegade cables are far simpler to replace than Easyboot cables, which require contorting your fingers into unimaginable positions.

In my experience, Renegades wear out a tad faster than Easyboots.

I have had many issues with Easyboots rubbing in the gaiter area, and not had any rubbing issues with Renegades.

I have had no success keeping Easyboots on back hooves at fast gallops. I have had rare issues with Renegades coming off back hooves at fast gallops. The Renegades' flashy colors make them easier to spot if they do come off, while Easyboots can be spray painted but do not come in flashy colors. Some Easyboots, alas, will never be found again.

If your horse has any issues with interfering or clipping a hoof at fast speeds, forget Easyboots. The gaiters will not keep them on.

Both types of boots have good traction and will stay on through all kinds of gnarly terrain, when fitted properly.

In general, if I ride heavily in Renegades, a boot will come off twice a year. In general, if I ride heavily in Easyboots, a boot will come off twice a month.
jillybean19 and TheOtherHorse like this.
     
    12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
  #18
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean19    
How easy is it to replace the cable on the Epics compared to Renegades? A friend of mine was testing out the Renegades and the cable broke before she even got out of camp to ride, and she spent the entire afternoon trying to fix it. Eventually, she just gave up and later returned the boots to get Gloves.
I haven't had a cable brake on the Renegades so I've never replaced one. I suggest ordering spare parts for either boot, and I keep cables, straps, screws, etc in our trailer. I also keep chicago screws, buckles, clips, curb chains etc in the trailer too.

As far as replacing cables on the Epics, no special cable or special tools required. There's a video on the Easy boot website, and the only thing required is a screwdriver and a pair of side cutters......I just cut the cable, lay it out and cut a new cable the same length. I hit the compression fitting with a hammer.......

I think the Renegades are easy to replace too, but you can't buy the cable at the hardware store.
     
    12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
  #19
QOS
Green Broke
I don't know how many miles I have on my Easy Boot Gloves because I don't use them all the time. Just when it is rocky because Biscuit is tenderfooted and probably always will be.

This is a great thread - and will be good for reference. I bought EBG because they were a little less than Renegades but had they not worked for me I would have bought the Renegades in a heartbeat. (I do my own rasping so never have trouble having them fit and they are easy for me to get on The Biscuit and get them off)
     
    12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
  #20
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottatrot    
I have used both Easyboots and Renegades extensively. Each has pros and cons.

I find the Easyboots more difficult to put on (as you say, they often require pre-ride rasping). The Renegades are on in seconds. Even though the Renegades don't have to fit exactly, they still need to fit fairly well if you are going to be doing fast riding.

A benefit to Renegades is that if they do come off, in my experience they have remained intact. And are back on in seconds. In my experience when Easyboots come off the gaiters are shredded.

Probably if someone had difficulty replacing a Renegade cable, they did not have the small tool available that comes with the boot. Renegade cables are far simpler to replace than Easyboot cables, which require contorting your fingers into unimaginable positions.

In my experience, Renegades wear out a tad faster than Easyboots.

I have had many issues with Easyboots rubbing in the gaiter area, and not had any rubbing issues with Renegades.

I have had no success keeping Easyboots on back hooves at fast gallops. I have had rare issues with Renegades coming off back hooves at fast gallops. The Renegades' flashy colors make them easier to spot if they do come off, while Easyboots can be spray painted but do not come in flashy colors. Some Easyboots, alas, will never be found again.

If your horse has any issues with interfering or clipping a hoof at fast speeds, forget Easyboots. The gaiters will not keep them on.

Both types of boots have good traction and will stay on through all kinds of gnarly terrain, when fitted properly.

In general, if I ride heavily in Renegades, a boot will come off twice a year. In general, if I ride heavily in Easyboots, a boot will come off twice a month.
From this, it sounds like you would definitely favor the Renegades? Would you ever recommend the Easy boots over Renegades and why?
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegades? What hoof boots do you put on your horse? Thyme Horse Tack Reviews 33 11-16-2013 11:32 AM
Easyboots???? farley Horse Tack and Equipment 10 06-26-2012 02:45 PM
easyboots henia Horse Tack and Equipment 15 10-15-2011 02:41 PM
Easyboots aspin231 Horse Tack and Equipment 2 07-25-2010 02:41 AM
SMB Elites and Easyboots kwal83 Horse Tack and Equipment 0 08-12-2009 09:32 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0