Hot Weather Riding - Page 8
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Hot Weather Riding

This is a discussion on Hot Weather Riding within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Absorbine ultrashield use on horse
  • Black horses in hot climates

Like Tree33Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-21-2012, 08:39 AM
  #71
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians    
QOS nerdy flashbacks are always on the house.
By the way you know that cheap wine MD 20 20? The MD stands for Mogen David. My people know how to party.
I have noticed that the arabians handle the heat much better thatn the QH's and TBs here. However I have one champagne palomino gelding.
He has pink skin and handles the heat very well.
What type sunscreen would be good for him? I have been using SPF of at least 50. Shalom
I use a childrens sunscreen for when I had pink skinned horses. I prefer a 50 SPF that is broad spectrum. I also really slop it on, and don't just put it on the exposed skin, but also over the hair on the face because they burn under that too. I also like the sport protection because it can withstand just a teeny bit more then the regular. However, it still needs to be applied every 2 hours or so.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-21-2012, 09:10 AM
  #72
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians    
QOS nerdy flashbacks are always on the house.
By the way you know that cheap wine MD 20 20? The MD stands for Mogen David. My people know how to party.
I have noticed that the arabians handle the heat much better thatn the QH's and TBs here. However I have one champagne palomino gelding.
He has pink skin and handles the heat very well.
What type sunscreen would be good for him? I have been using SPF of at least 50. Shalom
Something I use on the light-nose horses (pink skin area) is Corona ointment (not the beer). It is not a sunscreen, but it coats the skin and heals it quickly too, so they are greasy but no sunburn. I apply it once a day in the morning.
     
    05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
  #73
Trained
My horse is black with black skin. The sun is no issue. She seems to be amazingly heat tolerant. What she can't take is flies. I use an ear and face mask that protects her head, but the rest of her is exposed. No matter how much fly spray I use, she still gets attacked by horseflies on her legs and belly. Is their a fly sheet that is cool, covers legs, belly, and butt, that you can use for riding? The stings upset her so badly that she can't take it.
     
    05-21-2012, 09:44 AM
  #74
Yearling
     
    05-21-2012, 09:49 AM
  #75
Trained
Thanks cowgirl and anitanne. I was trying to avoid reapplying the sunscreen very often. I will try the corona cream Once a day is a lot more my style.
Horse flies are hard to deal with. They seem to linger around the catle herds so whenever we ride by they attack the horses.
Endure seems to work the best on a wide variety of flies and the longest.
Deer flies seem immune to it though.
When I had only a few head of horses I would buy those tubes you squeeze along thier backs. They seem to work the best. However with well over 20 horses that is no longer an optoin due to the cost. Shalom
     
    05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
  #76
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
My horse is black with black skin. The sun is no issue. She seems to be amazingly heat tolerant. What she can't take is flies. I use an ear and face mask that protects her head, but the rest of her is exposed. No matter how much fly spray I use, she still gets attacked by horseflies on her legs and belly. Is their a fly sheet that is cool, covers legs, belly, and butt, that you can use for riding? The stings upset her so badly that she can't take it.
Oddly, my whole last post was blank - weird...

I have seen quarter sheets made out of netting for flys, but have never used one.

I recently started using Absorbine Ultrashield EX, the horses seem so much happier and more relaxed. Highly recommend this product!

In the past I have used apple cidar vinegar, 1/2-1 cup daily works well to keep the flys and gnats away at home, also works to keep the flys from breeding in the manure. It takes about two weeks to get full effect though, so must plan ahead.
     
    05-21-2012, 09:52 AM
  #77
Trained
We have horseflies that will bite through any spray. The most wicked on the planet.
     
    05-21-2012, 09:59 AM
  #78
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
Oddly, my whole last post was blank - weird...

I have seen quarter sheets made out of netting for flys, but have never used one.

I recently started using Absorbine Ultrashield EX, the horses seem so much happier and more relaxed. Highly recommend this product!

In the past I have used apple cidar vinegar, 1/2-1 cup daily works well to keep the flys and gnats away at home, also works to keep the flys from breeding in the manure. It takes about two weeks to get full effect though, so must plan ahead.
Sorry - I should have said I poured the vinegar over the feed daily, they get used to it soon. Avoid feeding sweet feed, again the flys love sugar! I have heard of spraying the vinegar on the horse, but didn't have any luck with that myself.

Stay away from shampoo that smells "good" - attracks bees unfortunately. I like to use Citronella shampoo for the horses & dogs too, it seems to help a bit.
     
    03-05-2014, 07:27 PM
  #79
Foal
I realized this thread is old but had much of the info I was wanted, found in a search. But I have a few more questions.l...

I'd love more info on breeches. I'm currently plus sized but working hard to fix that. So I really don't want to spend big money on them. Where does a person find them? Used is ok by me. Would simple yoga pants from walmart work? Or does the seam rub? Maybe I could put a knee patch on something like those, for now? What kind of fabric are the knee patches made from?

This is a whole nuther ball game for me, I am in ranching/cowboy country, but have realized the jeans are stiff, hot and just not working!! I wear a very lightweight 'activewear' pant during the summer days as I won't wear shorts, and thought duh! Why am I killing myself in jeans to ride in???

I burn like crazy, but hate getting hot. We dont' have the humidity here like some of you, tho. Wow. I find that a very light tank top, but wear that long sleeved cotton type over it, unbuttoned. The air gets 'fluffed' into the shirt, you can wet it down since you have a top on, and it keeps the sun from your skin. I get mine at the local thrift shop because they will get trashed soon being so light colored.
     
    03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
  #80
Started
One of my friends just ordered some riding tights (another name for lightweight breeches) from Riding Warehouse I actually was gifted mine, but my backups are yoga/activewear and they seems to work well too, though they're not quite as durable. The price is right though. I haven't had them give me rubs like jeans do either, I think just because the material is so much softer, it eliminates a lot of that. I really wouldn't worry about knee patches on them. If you do find you want some additional protection from rubs, half chaps are probably the best way to go IMO rather than trying to after-market something.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Riding Gear for COLD Weather AndreaSctlnd Horse Talk 11 01-23-2012 08:14 AM
Grooming after cold weather riding humnbass Horse Grooming 12 11-15-2011 12:27 PM
foul weather riding pants info request. Joe4d Horse Tack and Equipment 0 09-05-2011 08:39 PM
Riding in Wet Weather Trails Trail Riding 3 01-06-2011 06:52 PM
Foul Weather Riding Gear Trails Trail Riding 5 10-18-2010 10:08 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0