Loss of Fitness of Endurance Horses
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Loss of Fitness of Endurance Horses

This is a discussion on Loss of Fitness of Endurance Horses within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Maintaing two endurance horses
  • Loss of fitness in a horsee

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
  #1
Foal
Loss of Fitness of Endurance Horses

I have got my endurance horse in great shape, and has been doing pretty good on his first training rides.

My question is this for all the regular endurance riders out there. I just got a pretty good job where I work away 2 weeks, and then I am home 2 weeks.

I was wondering how much fitness does everyone think my horse may lose on my 2 weeks away. Do I need to start from scratch again, or can I carry on with the endurance training.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
  #2
Yearling
I think a lot of this has to do with how much base your horse had to start with. If the horse is already very fit, I don't think you will lose much of anything (assuming they get turnout.. I think locked in a stall is a whole diff ballgame).

If they had a moderate base, you may want to back off a bit the first ride back, but def not starting from scratch.
     
    08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhorse13    
I think a lot of this has to do with how much base your horse had to start with. If the horse is already very fit, I don't think you will lose much of anything (assuming they get turnout.. I think locked in a stall is a whole diff ballgame).

If they had a moderate base, you may want to back off a bit the first ride back, but def not starting from scratch.
So far so good in relation to loss of fitness, although I am having someone ride him at least once a week when I am away.
phantomhorse13 likes this.
     
    08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
  #4
Yearling
I know that for a horse with a good season or two of conditioning (that's about 9 months to a year) you can put them on vacation for up to three months, and bring them back to their previous condition in as little as five weeks (that's for a sound and healthy horse).

I also know that once you get your horse up to condition, even for just an LD, then you can use actual rides as your conditioning as well, and only do just LD rides every two weeks and maintain your horse.

So....I don't see why it wouldn't work! I mean, if you are just out riding to get a completion, chat with friends and take home a Tshirt, I'd say that once your horse is in condition, the two week on/off thing shouldn't be that big of a deal. Of course with two weeks on/off, getting UP to condition might take longer - but once you are there...you are good.
     
    08-09-2012, 05:03 AM
  #5
Foal
urgggg...I need to vent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers    
So far so good in relation to loss of fitness, although I am having someone ride him at least once a week when I am away.
urggggg!!!...am I the only person that can ride a green horse around here!!!...urggggg....sorry just venting. I am away at work, and just got a phone call from the girl I hired to do some work with my TWH while I am away....I knew she could ride because I had sold her a OTTH I had trained up, so I know her.

Today was the first day she went out to do some work, according to her he played up and went crazy!!!...urgggg.....he would not let her get on, and when she did she said he bolted and she fell off....hmmmmmm....me thinks she was not as experieinced as she told me, I even had her ride him once while I was present to explain his gaits to her, and she went fine...

I never heard of TWH being one person horses, I know he has really bonded to me, but I never thought I would have this problem....ohhh...let me finish the story, after he bolted she said he ran around the back paddock like a crazy horse, and then with one leap jumped the back paddock fence to be with my other horses. Thank God he did not decide to jump the roadside fence. She says he is alright, except for a very small cut on his leg...urgggg.

My house mate is going to check him over when she gets home from work :(.

Sorry fellow endurance riders, just had to vent....so much for exercise for my big guy when I am away for work.

Hopefully he is ok. I will update later :)
     
    08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers    
urggggg!!!...am I the only person that can ride a green horse around here!!!...urggggg....sorry just venting. I am away at work, and just got a phone call from the girl I hired to do some work with my TWH while I am away....I knew she could ride because I had sold her a OTTH I had trained up, so I know her.

Today was the first day she went out to do some work, according to her he played up and went crazy!!!...urgggg.....he would not let her get on, and when she did she said he bolted and she fell off....hmmmmmm....me thinks she was not as experieinced as she told me, I even had her ride him once while I was present to explain his gaits to her, and she went fine...

I never heard of TWH being one person horses, I know he has really bonded to me, but I never thought I would have this problem....ohhh...let me finish the story, after he bolted she said he ran around the back paddock like a crazy horse, and then with one leap jumped the back paddock fence to be with my other horses. Thank God he did not decide to jump the roadside fence. She says he is alright, except for a very small cut on his leg...urgggg.

My house mate is going to check him over when she gets home from work :(.

Sorry fellow endurance riders, just had to vent....so much for exercise for my big guy when I am away for work.

Hopefully he is ok. I will update later :)
Well it appears Comanche is no worse for wear, has a small lac on his right knee, no doubt when he jumped the fence. He really messed the metal railing fence up, will need to check his legs in the morning to make sure no swelling has come up.
     
    08-09-2012, 12:59 PM
  #7
Yearling
BLAH! THat is super annoying. I hope there isn't any swelling but you are right, what is up with her riding skills? Hmmm wish he could tell us his side of the story.

Hang in there - I still think you can keep building your conditioning even without the help of another rider in between. It will just take a bit longer, but think of how much stronger his tendons and ligaments will be conditioning at a slower pace? I can't see anything but GOOD come out of it....and it is the downtime between rides where he is building new muscles and making repairs internally to get ready for the next ride...

I think you can do it. Just keep going! But I would seriously reevaluate this other rider....put her through the paces while you sit and watch. Something must have set him off....
     
    08-09-2012, 01:19 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by clippityclop    
BLAH! THat is super annoying. I hope there isn't any swelling but you are right, what is up with her riding skills? Hmmm wish he could tell us his side of the story.

Hang in there - I still think you can keep building your conditioning even without the help of another rider in between. It will just take a bit longer, but think of how much stronger his tendons and ligaments will be conditioning at a slower pace? I can't see anything but GOOD come out of it....and it is the downtime between rides where he is building new muscles and making repairs internally to get ready for the next ride...

I think you can do it. Just keep going! But I would seriously reevaluate this other rider....put her through the paces while you sit and watch. Something must have set him off....
Well I have only myself to blame, that will be the first and last time I will hire someone to work my horses while I am away. Waiting on my housemate to let me know in the morning how his legs are doing. Hopefully there will be no swelling. My housemate had a word to her, and she thinks she knows what happened. At our farm we regularly train and sell green horses, but we train western style, proper mouthing, one rein stops etc. This girl is primarily an english rider, so when a horse starts playing up, or starts getting too hot, not listening, etc etc....her first instinct is to jump off, or fall off in this case, and not use her one rein stop. I have taught Comanche to flex when he is mounted, and to one rein stop as well. This girl knew this, but since her background is not western/endurance her previous experience failed her.

I will just go back to the 2 weeks on 2 weeks off training and see how I go :). I have a 40km training ride picked out for him at the end of setember, so we will see how he goes.
     
    08-09-2012, 01:46 PM
  #9
Yearling
Well I forgot to ask, but I hope she is okay too. Sorry it didn't work out too well....

Well I KNOW YOUR FRUSTRATION regarding not being able to ride as much as you need to - I am at home being a mommy to a 2 yr old right now with a hubby who works pretty much 12 hr days so my time to condition a horse it pretty much ZERO. I've been trying to figure out a way to condition slowly (with only spontaneous riding) for a slow limited distance ride and can't even figure out how to do that yet...of course I can't leave the house on a 2 hr ride and leave a 2 yrold at home...so I know how you feel.

I once conditioned a horse riding weekends only, for a competitive trail ride. It ended up taking us a year and a half and believe it or not, we won first place in our novice division. I think it was luck, and a good horse..not any particular strategy. LOL! I guess it is true that if you keep at it, you'll get there. Well, for what it's worth, I'm rooting for you!
     
    08-09-2012, 01:53 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by clippityclop    
Well I forgot to ask, but I hope she is okay too. Sorry it didn't work out too well....

Well I KNOW YOUR FRUSTRATION regarding not being able to ride as much as you need to - I am at home being a mommy to a 2 yr old right now with a hubby who works pretty much 12 hr days so my time to condition a horse it pretty much ZERO. I've been trying to figure out a way to condition slowly (with only spontaneous riding) for a slow limited distance ride and can't even figure out how to do that yet...of course I can't leave the house on a 2 hr ride and leave a 2 yrold at home...so I know how you feel.

I once conditioned a horse riding weekends only, for a competitive trail ride. It ended up taking us a year and a half and believe it or not, we won first place in our novice division. I think it was luck, and a good horse..not any particular strategy. LOL! I guess it is true that if you keep at it, you'll get there. Well, for what it's worth, I'm rooting for you!
I know someone that was in your position, a couple times a week she set up a hot walk in the round yard and made the horse do that for 2 hours. Not my sort of fun, nor for the horse, but it got the job done.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crosstraining and fitness to increase rider fitness? englishaqh Rider Wellness 8 07-17-2012 09:46 PM
badly thin horses, Im at a loss here! cowgirlup07 Horse Talk 150 04-16-2012 09:15 PM
Depression/sluggishness, weight loss, muscle loss barrelracerchick Horse Health 39 06-16-2011 03:02 AM
Endurance horses!!! crackrider Horse Pictures 10 02-07-2007 11:25 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0