Tracking the miles... - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Tracking the miles...

This is a discussion on Tracking the miles... within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Will the jogging garmin gps work for riding horses
  • Foretrex 301 speedo

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
  #11
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
the foretrex 301 and now even better the 401 are great. The 401 adds the ability to attach a heart rate monitor. With the 401 coming out the 301's are about $109. It is wrist wearable and has worked for me int he woods, in the mountains pretty much everywhere. The think I like is that is uses regularl AAA batteries. Most of the wrist GPS's are made for joggers and have built in rechargeable batteries that only last a couple hours. The foretrex's last over 20 hours continuous on 2 AAA batteries and you can carry spares. They also have the ability to store a waypoint,,, as in where you parked the trailer, and you can go to a screen and it tells you direction and distance to the waypoint.
Ok, this sounds like an even better option...where could I find the info on this? The only ones I have found thru google are the polar kind, and they are $$$$
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
  #12
Yearling
Ok friends, I have been reading the specs on these, and they are both Garmin, so seem like similar type systems.

But I am a newbie at this stuff, so never having used these, they seem a bit complicated...

Can these monitors tell you how fast you are going in real time? Or do you have to download the data first?

The foretrex show a heartrate monitor option, but it looks like it is just for humans.

Please correct me on any wrong statements...

I am trying to spend the least possible, but a system that can be added to later might be a good way to start.
     
    06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  #13
Trained
The etrex tells you speed in real time as well as recording maximum speed and average speed. I think that my unit is sometimes not all that accurate on speed.

It tells distance right on the unit. It also lets you put in waypoints. It also uses replaceable batteries. It does not hook up for the heart rate monitor. I am guessing that Joe monitor's his horse's heart rate and ignores his own. Am I right here, Joe? And also, Joe, do you have to buy a separate unit for heart rate? Can you give us a link?
     
    06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
  #14
Yearling
From what I have been reading NONE of the handheld GPS units are all that accurate, but it would still give me an idea of how fast my horse is moving. I guess after some experience I would be able to judge how fast he is moving from experience, just like I used to judge distances to jumps...

I used to do survey work a few years ago with GPS and it was really hard geting coverage under trees, but it was a very accurate unit, within 3 cm accuracy. We would have to wait until winter to take some shots because of leaves blocking the signal.

The only equine units I saw were the polar brand & pricey

Heart Monitors & Parts
     
    06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
  #15
Green Broke
I use the hand held $77 Polar hand held unit and the 301 foretrex. They are down to $109. Various endurance sights sell adapter belts for the human hear rate monitors that go under the horses girth. For any of these be advised you can't have any other electronich device nearby. The Garmin 301 foretrex I have found to be very accurate and has worked perfectly fine in the mountains and woods. Never had a problem getting a signal. Distance Depot has one compatible with the Garmins. After you use them to check your horses pulse you will pretty much learn what it is without checking. At top levels going for the wins I can see how knowing pulse while runnign will let you squeeze everythign you can out of your horse without over doing it. At my level just getting a general idea at water breaks, and checking to be sure he is down BEFORE I go into the vet check is good enough for me. The 301 foretrex I hav e I don't think can do speed like a speedometer in your car. But it does give average speed. Which is what I am looking at. I plan an average say, 6mph. When I get over that coming into a water/ grass brake I can dismount, and let horse eat and drink while I keep an eye on my average speed. When it drops to around 5.9 I mount back up and head out. So you can use it to monitor breaks as well. The third screen is split in 4 parts and you can choose what you want displayed in those blocks. I keep it, Top speed, average speed, distance, and time.
     
    06-05-2012, 11:13 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
I use the hand held $77 Polar hand held unit and the 301 foretrex. They are down to $109. Various endurance sights sell adapter belts for the human hear rate monitors that go under the horses girth. For any of these be advised you can't have any other electronich device nearby. The Garmin 301 foretrex I have found to be very accurate and has worked perfectly fine in the mountains and woods. Never had a problem getting a signal. Distance Depot has one compatible with the Garmins. After you use them to check your horses pulse you will pretty much learn what it is without checking. At top levels going for the wins I can see how knowing pulse while runnign will let you squeeze everythign you can out of your horse without over doing it. At my level just getting a general idea at water breaks, and checking to be sure he is down BEFORE I go into the vet check is good enough for me. The 301 foretrex I hav e I don't think can do speed like a speedometer in your car. But it does give average speed. Which is what I am looking at. I plan an average say, 6mph. When I get over that coming into a water/ grass brake I can dismount, and let horse eat and drink while I keep an eye on my average speed. When it drops to around 5.9 I mount back up and head out. So you can use it to monitor breaks as well. The third screen is split in 4 parts and you can choose what you want displayed in those blocks. I keep it, Top speed, average speed, distance, and time.
Thanks for explaining all this, I doubt my horse is ever going to be a top competitor, I just need a way to know how I am doing with his speed & miles, plus HR, so I know when we can do an LD. I am very competitive with myself!

So, it looks like a Garmin is the answer for my needs.

Right now I am working on building up his lungs by doing some interval work gaiting and as big a walk as I can make him do. We got up some pretty good speed yesterday, he was moving pretty good when I asked for a gait but I need to know how fast he is.

I am also trying to work him away from the kids' horses. He is herd-bound so it makes it interesting. I need to ride him without the girls, but since they are out of school I can't get out to ride without them!
     
    06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
  #17
Yearling
I think the $77 Polar will be added on as I get money, but his HR is really not my first need because I can do that with a spare stethoscope...
     
    06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  #18
Foal
tracking device

I just use my phone, I have an arm band so it works perfect. The App I use is Endomondo. I tracks riding via GPS, Calories burned, how fast you were going, etc. I love it!
     
    06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKWOOD80    
I just use my phone, I have an arm band so it works perfect. The App I use is Endomondo. I tracks riding via GPS, Calories burned, how fast you were going, etc. I love it!
What kind of area does it work in? I ride in mountains with heavy cover from lots of pine trees. There is no cell phone service in the mountains that I know of.

Will your app work in those kind of conditions?

I just received my first android phone today, but haven't set it up yet...
     
    06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
What kind of area does it work in? I ride in mountains with heavy cover from lots of pine trees. There is no cell phone service in the mountains that I know of.

Will your app work in those kind of conditions?

I just received my first android phone today, but haven't set it up yet...
Honestly I'm not positive. I use mine in the desert and mountains as well here and it works great. . I say it's worth a try. It's free which is a bonus.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logging 2012 Miles How far did you go? QOS Trail Riding 1231 01-02-2013 04:48 PM
2012 Miles Log jillybean19 Endurance Riding 17 07-13-2012 09:11 PM
Horse Swims Three Miles Out To Sea - Is Rescued themacpack Horse Talk 31 05-20-2012 10:28 AM
15 miles and few pics northwesten Member Journals 0 05-06-2012 09:08 PM
Gina Miles Jump Round xNigelx Jumping 7 08-15-2008 05:01 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0