Tracking the miles... - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

Tracking the miles...

This is a discussion on Tracking the miles... within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Mileage gauge for equines
  • Tracking equine mileage

Like Tree9Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
  #21
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKWOOD80    
Honestly I'm not positive. I use mine in the desert and mountains as well here and it works great. . I say it's worth a try. It's free which is a bonus.
Posted via Mobile Device
Free is definitely worth a try! I would expect my phone battery to run down though...

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
  #22
Green Broke
Most people in the east have reception issues with the GPS features on the cell phones. Stethescopes are cheap if you can use one. My GF is a nurse she can do it. My hearing is so bad I can't hear anything in one.
     
    06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
  #23
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
most people in the east have reception issues with the GPS features on the cell phones. Stethescopes are cheap if you can use one. My GF is a nurse she can do it. My hearing is so bad I can't hear anything in one.
Yeah, I am a RN too, so I am used to it, but sometimes I just put my ear up to their side & hear a lot too, I often do that to check gut sounds, because I don't keep a stethoscope at the barn - note to self *bring spare stethoscope to barn*

But Joe, try using your ear right up to their side, even if you have hearing issues, you might be able to pick some sound up by conduction, which uses the bones in your ear to transmit sound as opposed to using sound waves.

I will probably get the Foretrex 301, from what I have read it should do what I want it too, and be convienient on my wrist.
     
    06-13-2012, 12:48 AM
  #24
Yearling
I was almost wishing I'd gotten the foretrex, until Joe metioned you can't get your current speed. I like to condition at a good working trot and make sure to keep my speed between 8-10 MPH, which I can gauge easily with my etrex. That being said, I don't think I could do it off of just the avg speed because I can see the difference it makes from before, during, and toward the end of my ried, especially once you factor in any stopping at gates (which I have to do) as well as when we walk the last distance to cool off. I can't remember if I mentioned my settings, but I have mine set up to tell me the time, riding time, moving time (which it's really helped to know the moving time! I've found that when we go for 10-13 mile rides, there's about a 30-20 minute difference between our total and moving times), Current speed, avg speed, max speed, current trip odometer, and my annual odometer. It can also do all the waypoints and whatnot. It was advertised as one of the best GPS for geocaching, if you're familiar with that. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in your GPS, but I love the info I get with mine.
     
    06-13-2012, 01:30 AM
  #25
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean19    
I was almost wishing I'd gotten the foretrex, until Joe metioned you can't get your current speed. I like to condition at a good working trot and make sure to keep my speed between 8-10 MPH, which I can gauge easily with my etrex. That being said, I don't think I could do it off of just the avg speed because I can see the difference it makes from before, during, and toward the end of my ried, especially once you factor in any stopping at gates (which I have to do) as well as when we walk the last distance to cool off. I can't remember if I mentioned my settings, but I have mine set up to tell me the time, riding time, moving time (which it's really helped to know the moving time! I've found that when we go for 10-13 mile rides, there's about a 30-20 minute difference between our total and moving times), Current speed, avg speed, max speed, current trip odometer, and my annual odometer. It can also do all the waypoints and whatnot. It was advertised as one of the best GPS for geocaching, if you're familiar with that. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in your GPS, but I love the info I get with mine.
Jilly that is an amazing difference in total & moving times, if I am understanding what you mean. It would make a huge difference in judging the speed I think.

I have no idea what geocaching is, no. Or waypoints, but I think I have a clue about those.

I think I need to do more studying, because I am just not familiar enough with this equipment to know what to pick! I think it might be a case of too many choices...
     
    06-13-2012, 01:44 AM
  #26
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
Jilly that is an amazing difference in total & moving times, if I am understanding what you mean. It would make a huge difference in judging the speed I think.

I have no idea what geocaching is, no. Or waypoints, but I think I have a clue about those.

I think I need to do more studying, because I am just not familiar enough with this equipment to know what to pick! I think it might be a case of too many choices...
Yes, I think you got what I meant perfectly, which is why I really like having something ticking away our total time to know how long I took but I also like to know how much of that I actually spent MOVING. On an average ride of about 15 miles, I'll be gone 2 hours, spend 1:30-45 of that moving, and have an avg speed of about 7mph even though we were trotting along between 8-9mph on the way out and 10-11mph on the way home (Snickers likes to extend when he knows he's headed home lol - he'll get up to 13mph if I don't pay attention!). Add in the walking and stopping, that 7 mph avg always surprises me, especially when our average WAS over 8mph until we do our "cool down" on about the last 10 minutes of the ride. It's interesting to see how it all factors in over the course of the ride. Just starting out, our avg for the first quarter of the ride looks really pathetic since we had to go through a couple of gates and include the time walking out from the barn - usually it's just at 4-5 mph since we're trying to pull it up during the trotting. By two thirds of the way through, it's closer to 8mph like I said, then drops down to 6.9mph usually by the end.
     
    06-13-2012, 01:46 AM
  #27
Yearling
Oh, and geocaching is finding GPS coordinates online for the "caches", then using your GPS to guide you to those coordinates, where you will find some sort of container. You get to take out what is hidden in the container, but you leave something else for the next person :) People all over the world hide caches and post the coordinates online. I think there's even a few in the vacant lot area across the street from our house lol
     
    06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
  #28
Trained
I have found that even with my eTrex, if I am deep in the woods, there are times that it doesn't pick up the signal on a cloudy day. Using a cell phone under heavy forest cover is a sporadic thing. It often doesn't work. I don't think that using a cell phone for mileage would help me at all.

I ride in Georgia. We often ride under heavy forest canopy.
     
    06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
  #29
Green Broke
The thing about the foretrex line is that it works even if you are not getting a constant signal. It sets its watch from the gps signal, and it only needs an occasional fix to keep track of distance. Granted if you loose signal then go on a really curvy trail, then come back out in the clear and catch a signal your distance will calculate as the crow flys fromt the last fix. We arnt making maps or selling land so "close enough": is pretty close enough. If I was shopping now I would get the foretrex 401, his has the sensitive reception, long battery life and ease of use of the 301, but adds the ability to add on a heartrate monitor and keeps track of altitude.
     
    06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
  #30
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean19    
Oh, and geocaching is finding GPS coordinates online for the "caches", then using your GPS to guide you to those coordinates, where you will find some sort of container. You get to take out what is hidden in the container, but you leave something else for the next person :) People all over the world hide caches and post the coordinates online. I think there's even a few in the vacant lot area across the street from our house lol
I can see where this would be fun, especially for kids. Thanks for explaining! I guess it would be good tracking practice too. But I think I will stick to just riding thru the trails...
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logging 2012 Miles How far did you go? QOS Trail Riding 1231 01-02-2013 05:48 PM
2012 Miles Log jillybean19 Endurance Riding 17 07-13-2012 10:11 PM
Horse Swims Three Miles Out To Sea - Is Rescued themacpack Horse Talk 31 05-20-2012 11:28 AM
15 miles and few pics northwesten Member Journals 0 05-06-2012 10:08 PM
Gina Miles Jump Round xNigelx Jumping 7 08-15-2008 06:01 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0