TWH for endurance in West Australia - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

TWH for endurance in West Australia

This is a discussion on TWH for endurance in West Australia within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Mph of twh
  • Sports medicine boots for endurance

Like Tree13Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  #21
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
Those sport boots, ( the ones that wrap the lower legs,) Arnt not very common in endurance.
I wouldn't call them uncommon. All depends on what works best for the individual horse.

One of my bf's geldings goes in sports medicine boots all the way around because he interferes. He has done many years of endurance rides -- including top 10 finishes -- in them with no issues. Like any piece of tack, you just have to make sure they fit properly and stay put on trail.

This is us on trail during the Old Dominion 100 a couple weeks ago:

     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-29-2012, 06:35 AM
  #22
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhorse13    
I wouldn't call them uncommon. All depends on what works best for the individual horse.

One of my bf's geldings goes in sports medicine boots all the way around because he interferes. He has done many years of endurance rides -- including top 10 finishes -- in them with no issues. Like any piece of tack, you just have to make sure they fit properly and stay put on trail.

This is us on trail during the Old Dominion 100 a couple weeks ago:

Excellent point...at the end of the day, if you watch and listen to your horse he will tell you what works and what does not work :)
phantomhorse13 likes this.
     
    07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
  #23
Foal
Commanche's training is going well so far. Doing about 50 km's a week at the moment. In probably 2 weeks will be picking up the pace a little on his 15 km training rides.
phantomhorse13 likes this.
     
    07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
  #24
Foal
I have a question, WHAT DOES LSD STAND FOR? Thank you.
Tracer likes this.
     
    07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Long slow distance,

Well I am back from Broxton Bridge Plantation. Moonlight ride. Was 100 all day. Despite keeping the pace down to 6 mph, I just couldnt get my TWH to pulse down at the first vet check. Pretty much his last ride. Just have to face reality that it is too much for him. Congradulations to my GF for her first completion. She missed Leatherwood by 2 minutes. Shari rides a mostly TB.
     
    07-11-2012, 03:49 AM
  #26
Foal
Same here

I have been finding the same thing with the training of my TWH in relation to pulsing down. Will be doing more hill work in about 4 weeks after he has been legged up a little more.
     
    07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
  #27
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
long slow distance,

Well I am back from Broxton Bridge Plantation. Moonlight ride. Was 100 all day. Despite keeping the pace down to 6 mph, I just couldnt get my TWH to pulse down at the first vet check. Pretty much his last ride. Just have to face reality that it is too much for him. Congradulations to my GF for her first completion. She missed Leatherwood by 2 minutes. Shari rides a mostly TB.
Do you use one of those walking horse bits? I am using a loose ring snaffle at the moment, but his gait is getting a little sloppy, so I was thinking of getting a walking horse bit. What do you think?
     
    07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
  #28
Green Broke
No I use a very mild curb bit. I don't believe in putting boat anchors in my horses mouths. Usually I can collect him down or heal him out of the rough spots in his gaits. I generally ride one handed loose rein. I can say, "Hey stop that" to my mare and she smooths out. Make sure they know rough is bad. Shouldnt need a big bit or tight reins.
AnitaAnne and phantomhorse13 like this.
     
    07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
  #29
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
no I use a very mild curb bit. I don't believe in putting boat anchors in my horses mouths. Usually I can collect him down or heal him out of the rough spots in his gaits. I generally ride one handed loose rein. I can say, "Hey stop that" to my mare and she smooths out. Make sure they know rough is bad. Shouldnt need a big bit or tight reins.
Do you do any lunging with her with running reins?
     
    07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
  #30
Green Broke
No, I generally lunge over and around obstacles at a walk with a lunge line. Reins are menat to be used from the saddle. I am no where near coordinated enough to try to use them from the ground. LUnging in the round pen free or with a line I teach my horses to moove out or slow down with voice commands. I don't get overly concerned with "Propper" or specific headset or steps or leads. Figure the horse knows whats best. I just deal with smooth feeling from the saddle.
AnitaAnne likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey From West KY. SparksFly Meet the Community 2 11-20-2010 01:46 AM
Hello from West Texas! Giddyupno Meet the Community 11 11-14-2010 10:33 PM
hi there from west virginia dallasheart242 Meet the Community 4 10-07-2008 01:54 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0