TWH for endurance in West Australia - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Endurance Riding

TWH for endurance in West Australia

This is a discussion on TWH for endurance in West Australia within the Endurance Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree13Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
      #31
    Foal
    Has anyone tried a no bit bridle on their TWH. I have been using a light rider rope bridle on Comanche for a few days on the property, and he seems to go well in it...the only down side is that he kind of zig zags with it, and does not keep the good line he keeps in his snaffle.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-13-2012, 10:24 PM
      #32
    Foal
    I occassionally ride my barn owner's 2 TWH horses. They are both riden in Dr. Cooks bridles. The mare does great in it all though sometimes her breaks don't work too well but that is a training issue. The gelding goes great in it.
         
        07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
      #33
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kato    
    I occassionally ride my barn owner's 2 TWH horses. They are both riden in Dr. Cooks bridles. The mare does great in it all though sometimes her breaks don't work too well but that is a training issue. The gelding goes great in it.
    Thanks for that. I will have a look the cook bridles.
         
        07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
      #34
    Green Broke
    Id save the money for something you actually need.
    Answer me this, is there something the horse can't do in a snaffle you think he will do bitless ?
    Yeh some horses are ok bitless, untill you really really need some brakes. There is absolutely nothing you can do bitless that you can't do with a bit. Your horse can still eat grass and drink with that snaffle bit. Argualbly you may be able to increase O2 intake with a hackamore. But honestly your limiting factor on your horse is going to be heat management not a bit of extra o2. I am looking into the evap cooler neck wraps and body blankets.
         
        07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
      #35
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    id save the money for something you actually need.
    Answer me this, is there something the horse can't do in a snaffle you think he will do bitless ?
    Yeh some horses are ok bitless, untill you really really need some brakes. There is absolutely nothing you can do bitless that you can't do with a bit. Your horse can still eat grass and drink with that snaffle bit. Argualbly you may be able to increase O2 intake with a hackamore. But honestly your limiting factor on your horse is going to be heat management not a bit of extra o2. I am looking into the evap cooler neck wraps and body blankets.
    I have a good light rider bitless at the moment, like it, on account of the extra O2 available to the horse, and as my guy is a non-arab...it probably could not hurt. But because he is still relatively a young boy, I am going to keep him in the snaffle, especially because he is eating and drinking on the trail well with it.
         
        07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
      #36
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    id save the money for something you actually need.
    Answer me this, is there something the horse can't do in a snaffle you think he will do bitless ?
    Yeh some horses are ok bitless, untill you really really need some brakes. There is absolutely nothing you can do bitless that you can't do with a bit. Your horse can still eat grass and drink with that snaffle bit. Argualbly you may be able to increase O2 intake with a hackamore. But honestly your limiting factor on your horse is going to be heat management not a bit of extra o2. I am looking into the evap cooler neck wraps and body blankets.
    MaxGenetics | Equine
         
        07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
      #37
    Green Broke
    Yep think of the blanket, keeping it in cooler with an icy slush, put it on at vet checks. I use the same type of product on me whey I shot alot. They do work.
         
        07-15-2012, 07:16 AM
      #38
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    yep think of the blanket, keeping it in cooler with an icy slush, put it on at vet checks. I use the same type of product on me whey I shot alot. They do work.
    I think that is an excellent idea, especially when we have TWH we need all the help we can get :)
         
        07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
      #39
    Foal
    Well I am afraid my training is going to have to be changed. I just got a good job where I work away for 2 weeks and then I am home 2 weeks. I hope Comanche does not lose too much of his condition when I am working away :(.
         
        07-24-2012, 05:36 PM
      #40
    Green Broke
    Sounds like me when I was on tug boats. Worked out ok, as the 2 weeks I was home I was off so could easily ride every other day.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Hey From West KY. SparksFly Meet the Community 2 11-20-2010 02:46 AM
    Hello from West Texas! Giddyupno Meet the Community 11 11-14-2010 11:33 PM
    hi there from west virginia dallasheart242 Meet the Community 4 10-07-2008 02:54 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0