When to move up? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 250
• Horses: 4
To me her heart rate at the end tells me she was not stressed or tired. And if she eats and drinks just fine, then i'd say move up! I recently purchased a 5 year old gelding and his first ride will be in November and we are doing a 50 miler. As long as you know your horse is fit and the heart rates don't lie about fitness. Like Phantomhorse said we all are never "sure" about moving up. It took me a year before I did my mares first 1 day 100 mile ride because I kept telling myself she was not ready. Well she finished in 7th place with a ride time of 12 hours and was pulling my arms out at a 14 mph trot on the last loop and her heart rate and CRI was 48/48 at the ending vet check! I'd say she was more than ready for a 100! Haha! You will always question, but deep down you know if the horse is ready! Good luck!

Oh and by the way, great pictures!!!

Last edited by LeynaProof; 05-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.
LeynaProof is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeynaProof View Post
To me her heart rate at the end tells me she was not stressed or tired. And if she eats and drinks just fine, then i'd say move up! I recently purchased a 5 year old gelding and his first ride will be in November and we are doing a 50 miler. As long as you know your horse is fit and the heart rates don't lie about fitness. Like Phantomhorse said we all are never "sure" about moving up. It took me a year before I did my mares first 1 day 100 mile ride because I kept telling myself she was not ready. Well she finished in 7th place with a ride time of 12 hours and was pulling my arms out at a 14 mph trot on the last loop and her heart rate and CRI was 48/48 at the ending vet check! I'd say she was more than ready for a 100! Haha! You will always question, but deep down you know if the horse is ready! Good luck!

Oh and by the way, great pictures!!!
Wow, thanks for sharing that experience. Glad to hear your mare did so well! Must have been an awesome feeling.

I think I will pay more attention to what her HR tells me throughout our conditioning, that way I know what she can/can't handle. I tend to get in my own head too much, I should just relax and pay attention to the facts.

I was actually surprised at how well she did at the 15, given she has never done anything strenuous in her life until I bought her. She was definitely "fit to continue" at the finish and still had ants in her pants So I suppose I've reached a verdict...first 25 mile June 9th! Lol
phantomhorse13 likes this.
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 250
• Horses: 4
[QUOTE=EnduranceLover6;2443962]Wow, thanks for sharing that experience. Glad to hear your mare did so well! Must have been an awesome feeling.

I think I will pay more attention to what her HR tells me throughout our conditioning, that way I know what she can/can't handle. I tend to get in my own head too much, I should just relax and pay attention to the facts.

I was actually surprised at how well she did at the 15, given she has never done anything strenuous in her life until I bought her. She was definitely "fit to continue" at the finish and still had ants in her pants So I suppose I've reached a verdict...first 25 mile June 9th! Lol[/QUOTE

If you ride with a heart rate moniter, don't put to much faith in what her heart rate is while you are going. You know your horse better than a heart rate moniter. But that ending heart rate tells me she was not stressed at all. So mission accomplished! Sounds like your mare is going to do well in this sport and I wish you 2 the best of luck.
LeynaProof is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
[quote=LeynaProof;2444058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6 View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that experience. Glad to hear your mare did so well! Must have been an awesome feeling.

I think I will pay more attention to what her HR tells me throughout our conditioning, that way I know what she can/can't handle. I tend to get in my own head too much, I should just relax and pay attention to the facts.

I was actually surprised at how well she did at the 15, given she has never done anything strenuous in her life until I bought her. She was definitely "fit to continue" at the finish and still had ants in her pants So I suppose I've reached a verdict...first 25 mile June 9th! Lol[/QUOTE

If you ride with a heart rate moniter, don't put to much faith in what her heart rate is while you are going. You know your horse better than a heart rate moniter. But that ending heart rate tells me she was not stressed at all. So mission accomplished! Sounds like your mare is going to do well in this sport and I wish you 2 the best of luck.
Thank you! I do not ride with a HR Monitor so I take her pulse after each conditioning ride to see where she's at. I need the practice
LeynaProof likes this.
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 250
• Horses: 4
[quote=EnduranceLover6;2444178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeynaProof View Post

Thank you! I do not ride with a HR Monitor so I take her pulse after each conditioning ride to see where she's at. I need the practice
Haha! I know what you mean. I always need the practice! Just remember to listen to your horse and if you think something is wrong, but you are not sure and think you are being paranoid, something probably is wrong. Haha! Happens to me all the time. My mare is very stoic and does not show much of a reaction when something is wrong with her, so if I even think that I might feel a hitch here or there or if I just have that feeling then there is usually something wrong. :)

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and your horses health comes first, so I think y'all will do fabulous! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by LeynaProof; 05-06-2013 at 08:53 PM.
LeynaProof is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
[quote=LeynaProof;2445450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6 View Post

Haha! I know what you mean. I always need the practice! Just remember to listen to your horse and if you think something is wrong, but you are not sure and think you are being paranoid, something probably is wrong. Haha! Happens to me all the time. My mare is very stoic and does not show much of a reaction when something is wrong with her, so if I even think that I might feel a hitch here or there or if I just have that feeling then there is usually something wrong. :)

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and your horses health comes first, so I think y'all will do fabulous! :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you!
LeynaProof likes this.
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
I don't try a 50 miler until my horse has had 6 months of increasingly difficult conditioning. Since you seem like such a sane competitor, if you have done that, I say go for the 50. As people have said, you can always pull.
kolko is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Kolko--6 months sounds like a good time frame for conditioning for a 50. Honestly, I know my horse is no where near ready to complete, let alone compete 50 miles. I ended up doing another 15 mile CDR this month and placed 1st with a final score of 99/100 so I feel ready to move on to a 25. We are planning on doing our first in August. Maybe next year we will be ready for a 50, but for now we're in no rush

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
EnduranceLover6 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have to move.. Stakie Horse Boarding 12 04-25-2013 08:31 PM
To move or not to move...Part 2.. Cowgirls Boots Horse Talk 5 02-18-2013 04:35 AM
How is her move arrowattack09 Western Riding 0 08-03-2012 10:27 PM
How can I move up? domi12blue Horse Riding 3 07-03-2012 04:52 PM
Comparisons. To move, or not to move? cosmomomo Barn Maintenance 4 12-12-2010 11:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome