2nd show (with full video) - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 315
• Horses: 1
Kitten Val
I watched the video and left is shorter..............throughout test.
I have found over the years that sometimes holes on stirrup leathers are not always the same.
Fancy bridle is beautiful..........

E. Allan Buck
"Ask and allow, do not demand and force"
www.hartetoharte.org
spirithorse8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
Kitten - my leathers are uneven as well, but that's because my pelvis is tilted - so I do so to accomodate my uneveness.

If you say your leathers are even, then so be it.

MIEventer is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Interesting! Folks, I have to look them up (as I always just go by ## on stirrups). I wonder if the saddle slipped a bit (as she was very sweaty).

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,066
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Actually you SHOULD change it, but NOT a flying change. The test asks for a trot to canter transition and that is what should have been corrected.
Why is an incorrect lead not allowed to be fixed through a flying lead change?

Amber.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison
GeminiJumper is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,289
• Horses: 0
Actually, it's usually unwise to go by the numbers on the holes as the leathers almost always stretch, and stretch unevenly. The left one tends to stretch more because of mounting; the can also be uneven because the rider places uneven pressure. So I'd get your instructor to take a look while you're standing on level ground.
maura is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiJumper View Post
Why is an incorrect lead not allowed to be fixed through a flying lead change?
Because the test asked for a trot to canter and that is what must be done. And it is THAT transition that is marked...not a flying change.

This is the same as the person I judged a while back that thought that as collection is asked for then she figured a passage would do nicely. She got 1's on every movement and she was really mad...LOL

I told her a passage is not in the test,therefore incorrect.
Spyder is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val View Post
How would you ask for the rounder one? Yes, I know she needs more, however I have quite hard time to get more out of her.

It isn't so much as working on the actual "roundness" but in getting the horse suppler and more flexible through the back.

This itself will open the stride and then the horse will allow you to drive it more forward and it will go more willingly.

You can't do enough lateral exercises to achieve this.

Also as far as stirrup length it is best to have someone look directly at you. Leather stretches especially on the mounting side so using holes are not the best indicator of stirrup length.

Last edited by Spyder; 06-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Spyder is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Thank you, All, for helpful advices and comments!

I asked to take pics front and back today in flat arena to see the leg position/stirrups length. They do look even. So I think it's the way my qh was standing. And I'll ask my trainer to check them too next time I have a lesson to be sure they are OK.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,066
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Because the test asked for a trot to canter and that is what must be done. And it is THAT transition that is marked...not a flying change.

So a trot to canter is asked and the wrong lead is picked up. The rider must drop to a trot and pick up the correct lead?

So then if a flying lead change is asked say across the center line and the wrong lead is picked, the rider must fix it through a flying lead change?

Thanks for taking the time with my questions! lol

Amber.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison
GeminiJumper is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiJumper View Post
So a trot to canter is asked and the wrong lead is picked up. The rider must drop to a trot and pick up the correct lead?

So then if a flying lead change is asked say across the center line and the wrong lead is picked, the rider must fix it through a flying lead change?

Yes to both questions.

The only time that a "fix" would become difficult is is something happened when the rider was 3/4 the way through a movement.

Just an an example. Lets say a canter circle was started on the correct lead....then 3/4 around the circle the horse cross canters ( picks up a wrong lead in the rear) or somehow goes completely on the wrong lead.

To come down to trot and redo the canter would be viable ONLY if the canter is asked to continue beyond the circle. Then a trot to new canter would be the correct thing to do.

HOWEVER if the canter is only asked for on the circle and the test asked for a trot at the end of the circle then the best thing would to come down to a trot as close to the transition letter and continue on at the trot. In this case you will be more concerned with having the horse ready for the next movement asked for and having the least disturbance in the flow of the test.

Some of these things are judgement calls and if there is no time to make a correction then the the rider should always try to make the flow of the test as smooth as possible.
Spyder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucchese Full-Quill Womens Riding/Show/Apparel Western Boots, size 7.5 bubba13 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 04-26-2011 11:19 PM
FULL SIZE PLAIN SHOW HALTER-Light tan Gidget Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 01-08-2011 03:38 PM
Is he disunited or does he get the full change?(video) DieselBoy Horse Riding Critique 9 08-19-2010 07:37 PM
Third Show! First full BN! StormyBlues Eventing 21 12-08-2009 08:53 PM
Our Show -- Video ChingazMyBoy Horse Riding 10 11-08-2009 07:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome