Advice for the First Fall - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Advice for the First Fall

This is a discussion on Advice for the First Fall within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-22-2011, 09:08 AM
      #21
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mls    
    I am going to disagree here.

    There are horses that know exactly what to do to put their rider on the ground. I have a mare that does a very dirty shoulder drop. EVERY time one of my friends rides her, the friend ends up on the ground.

    It's not nasty or harsh, friend does not get hurt and my mare stands there and I swear grins. Has nothing to do with respect. She simply doesn't want that friend riding her. I have another friend my mare has never tried the trick with.
    My post was about when a horse does something from lack of respect. Since you horse isn't doing it out of lack of respect, then my post does not pertain to you, right? Have you tried correcting your horse to not do this? If not, wouldn't that be your fault that she continues to do it? You say it has nothing to do with respect? When a horse decides to behave badly because it doesn't like something, isn't that disrespect? Even though you friend hasn't been hurt YET, how would you feel when he/she does get hurt? I have had a friend get hurt on one of my horses and I felt terrible. Maybe that's just the way I am.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-22-2011, 09:19 AM
      #22
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myyky    
    You don't have time to think about curling into a ball, letting go of the reins, or not tensing. One minute your up on the horse, and the next the ground is zooming towards you..



    And whatever you do, DON'T blame the horse. Unless it was deliberately rearing or bucking because of respect issues. But even then, by the time you get up and over to the horse, it is too late to punish.

    Exactly! You don't really have time to think about anything! My last fall I was hanging off the side trying to land comfortably but the horse was still cantering and fell in front of her..She somehow avoided me. And I hate to admit but I was hanging on with the reins. I did not want to fall lol..

    And when I fall of and it is not something the horse did on purpose I seem to be ok. But if the horse rears, bucks etc I am more scared bout getting back on.

    ETA ..I usually jump right up after a fall and laugh it off or something. But the first time I fell off I couldn't really move so my instructor told me to just lie there for a minute XD To avoid embarrassment just jump up and say you are fine. I don't get embarrassed when I fall off. There is this one guy who was showing off then his saddle slipped and he lay on the ground for 20 minutes because he was so embarrassed. XD Funny stuff...
         
        03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
      #23
    Trained
    Both of my falls came when my horse bolted during a dismount. There wasn't time to think about anything. I was dismounting, then I was on the ground. The first time was over 2 years ago, and my lower back still aches.

    I made the mistake of learning by buying a rather spooky Arabian. We're getting there, but it was a very dumb buy on my part. Get a horse that matches your ability. If that means renting a horse for a year, do that first.

    Use a saddle that matches your ability. English jump saddles don't offer much security, although in my case a 5 point harness wouldn't have helped.

    Plan on staying on. Cars and cliffs are about all I would bail from because the ground around here is so rocky. In my first fall, Mia had bolted, she had stopped, but I was afraid she was about to bolt again over rocky ground. And she did, when I was part way thru the dismount. If I had to do it over, I'd grab some mane with one hand and try to turn her around (and disengage her) with the rest of me. I would have planned on staying on. Don't know if it would have worked, but by chance I landed a foot away from 12-18" rocks instead of on them. Had I landed on them, I'd probably be in a wheelchair now. Oh - and with what I know now, I'd have dismounted about 5 minutes earlier since she was obviously spinning up and getting scared...
         
        03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
      #24
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    My post was about when a horse does something from lack of respect. Since you horse isn't doing it out of lack of respect, then my post does not pertain to you, right? Have you tried correcting your horse to not do this? If not, wouldn't that be your fault that she continues to do it? You say it has nothing to do with respect? When a horse decides to behave badly because it doesn't like something, isn't that disrespect? Even though you friend hasn't been hurt YET, how would you feel when he/she does get hurt? I have had a friend get hurt on one of my horses and I felt terrible. Maybe that's just the way I am.
    Are you serious?
         
        03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
      #25
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breezy17    
    What advice would you give to a newbie rider regarding their first time hitting the ground?
    If you do not suffer of any injury, get up and climb back again to your horse. It helps you to gained back confidence both for your horse and rider. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
      #26
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfina    
    Don't, it hurts!
    LMAO!
    When you start falling don't try to hold onto their neck, my friend did this once on my old horse(he bucked a few times in a row and she started loosing her seat) so not your normal everyday occurrence, but make sure you fall to the side, you don't want to fall in front of them because then they can run over top of you, which is what happened to my friend, so when you start to fall and there is no where left to go but down just push yourself off to the side away from their hooves...i haven't fallen off in a few years, so i'm due to come off soon, almost happened in my lesson today lol
         
        03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
      #27
    Foal
    Get back on right after (if you're able), but I think that it's important to get your confidence back a little if you were shaken up. If you climb on right away and do the exact same mistake because you're scared of falling now, you didn't really do much to correct the original problem. You're just sore twice over! Whenever I fell I'd always get back on right away, but I'd walk around the arena a few times to catch my breath. I'd do a few circles, some trot and canter, and THEN go back and try the jump or whatever I was doing. If I tried it again right away I always made the same, sometimes a WORSE, mistake because I was tense and expecting the same result. It might not be the right advice for every person, horse, and situation but a fall was usually just my silly mistake.

    And never get embarrassed! Everyone's been there. :)
         
        03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
      #28
    Weanling
    Falling gracefully is an art in my opinion. I've always been amazed by the equine gymnasts and acrobats who somehow manage to land on their feet lol.

    I think every one else has covered the concept of falling, I'm still struggling with the social aspect of it ( I don't mind getting hurt, I'm just nervous about responding to the ' ARE YOU OK?!? ' that gets screamed at you when your on the ground ^-^'') anyway... Whatever happens, try to end on a good note. Get back on ( if you aren't injured of course ) and if nothing else go over a jump ( if that's what your doing) both you and your horse are confident about. If you aren't too shaken, go over the jump you had troubles with, making sure to learn from your previous mistake. If you aren't jumping, just continue on with your ride as if you hadn't fallen, take it easy if you need to, and stay relaxed.

    You'll probably feel the force of the fall the next day. So if your the type to skip school, its a very good excuse ( joking...don't skip school =D ). Ice packs and hot baths both help to sooth sore muscles. ( ice reduces inflammation, heat relaxes tense muscles)
         
        03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    If you are determined not to fall off, you can make some pretty impressive saves. I managed to land on my feet twice in one lesson haha. Alot of times if you just try hard you can even stay on, or arrange your body to land on your feet.

    Falling isn't a huge deal, its part of riding. I always jump up and hop back on, and so far I have always been able to. Its important to get back on to keep your confidence.
         
        03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    My advice: don't think about it, just chill. Falling off will make you better and more confidant if you get yourself over that fear. When you do fall, get back on! Try to stay on if you loose your balance or the horse/pony is misbehaving but at the point where you know you are falling off, don't try to stay on(like when you're hanging off the side-doesn't always happen though. Sometimes you just get shot into the air or to the ground). If you try to stay on you might land to close to the horse. You want to land as far away as possibly without holding the reins(unless you fall off balanced=on your feet) because you don't want to pull the horse on top of you.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    My first fall ever Tayz Horse Videos 11 04-07-2010 08:54 PM
    Feeling the guilt over our fall... and other things. Advice please...! Britt Horse Talk 6 09-05-2009 07:53 PM
    YOUR FIRST FALL!! D-izzle Horse Stories and Poems 30 06-20-2008 03:50 PM
    Right way to fall ILuv2ride Horse Riding 12 05-01-2008 10:20 PM
    First fall! melinda27858 Horse Riding 21 03-29-2008 06:40 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0