Advice on no stirrups
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Advice on no stirrups

This is a discussion on Advice on no stirrups within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-29-2009, 10:32 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Advice on no stirrups

    I have made threads about this before but this is slightly different but...

    I don't use stirrups when riding. Haven't used them in about 4 months due to knee problems. The first couple months I didn't mind but after this long I'm really starting to feel restricted as to what I can do and it's frustrating. I don't feel like I can accomplish my goals or advance as a rider. I did my barn's schooling show back in November and jumped in the 2'3 divison but had the jumps at 2' since I didn't have stirrups and that is considered a handicap. But while other people in my class at moving on I feel like I'm stuck.
    So any suggestions on things I could do to that would safe to do no stirrups and would still help me advance in my riding?
    Thanks for any ideas :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Sry, I can't think of much. You could do lots of flatwork such as sitting trot and collected canter. I do no stirrups every once in a while just to tone my legs and make me more stable.
         
        12-29-2009, 10:51 PM
      #3
    Trained
    Depending on your seat, you can do pretty much anything without stirrups that you would do with stirrups.
         
        12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
    Depending on your seat, you can do pretty much anything without stirrups that you would do with stirrups.
    That's the thing. I've mastered everything I can do with stirrups while doing no stirrups. It's just a matter of learning new things and becoming a better rider and there's nothing I can think of that would be more advance then what I already do that I am willing to try for the 1st time without having stirrups.
         
        12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    Why don't you post some pix for a critique and then people can point out areas that need work and suggest different excersizes...?
         
        12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsequeen373    
    That's the thing. I've mastered everything I can do with stirrups while doing no stirrups. It's just a matter of learning new things and becoming a better rider and there's nothing I can think of that would be more advance then what I already do that I am willing to try for the 1st time without having stirrups.
    Exactly.!
         
        12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmpony84    
    Why don't you post some pix for a critique and then people can point out areas that need work and suggest different excersizes...?
    My comp takes forever to post pics on here so here are some links:

    My Photos

    My Photos

    My Photos

    My Photos

    Division A - 2'3 Riders - Haleys-Dad's Photos

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
         
        12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    The first I must say is this. It's amazing what you are doing in the first place. Everything without stirrups. It goes to show you that we often take them for granted, when we don't actually need them in most cases.

    Anyways, Why not try experimenting with different things for fun? Try a new disipline, keep yourself entertained. Like dressage, for example. Perhaps you could find access to some lunge line lessons, and start refining your position and really get a good seat, without having to worry so much about the horse.
    Remember that there is always something new to learn, and you'll never really master anything in riding. There's more to it than the four gaits and getting around a jumping course, hm? ~
         
        12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dressagexlee    
    The first I must say is this. It's amazing what you are doing in the first place. Everything without stirrups. It goes to show you that we often take them for granted, when we don't actually need them in most cases.

    Anyways, Why not try experimenting with different things for fun? Try a new disipline, keep yourself entertained. Like dressage, for example. Perhaps you could find access to some lunge line lessons, and start refining your position and really get a good seat, without having to worry so much about the horse.
    Remember that there is always something new to learn, and you'll never really master anything in riding. There's more to it than the four gaits and getting around a jumping course, hm? ~
    I like the idea of trying a new disipline. Thanks!
         
        01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
      #10
    Foal
    I feel your pain! Literally, I had tons of knee problems, was so fed up with the paid and took my stirrups off or rode bareback for about a year. I tell you, it made me a MUCH better rider. I did everything I would normally do, jumping, dressage, ect. Why don't you look into some dressage exercises? Lead changes? Shoulders in, haunches in, etc.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What to do with the stirrups? 1dog3cats17rodents English Riding 13 11-17-2009 01:22 AM
    Do these stirrups have a name? banoota Horse Tack and Equipment 3 03-10-2009 03:31 PM
    Which stirrups??? melinda27858 Horse Tack and Equipment 12 03-06-2009 12:08 AM
    advice on stirrups g8ted4me Horse Tack and Equipment 3 02-06-2009 03:35 PM
    Stirrups... appylover31803 Horse Shows 13 07-14-2008 12:41 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0