Bending at the Poll?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Bending at the Poll?

This is a discussion on Bending at the Poll? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Poll tilt horse
  • Horse bend at the poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyder
  • 1 Post By Kayty

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-07-2011, 11:11 PM
  #1
Yearling
Bending at the Poll?

My mare does this little trick where I have her bending her whole body the way I want, for example to the inside, and she can turn her head only from the poll so that she is still looking to the outside, with her nose to the inside, if there's something interesting. I don't know what it would technically be called, but my last trainer called it 'bending at the poll' and that seems pretty correct.

I use a lot of inside rein and a LOT of inside leg and try to really push her into the bend, but her body's not the problem. Neck, nose, and body are all bent where I want, but she still manages to tilt her head to look to the outside.. I'm not sure how to explain it correctly xD
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
  #2
Trained
Tilting at the poll, or head tilt, are the terms you are looking for.

Generally this comes not because the horse wants to look at something outside the arena, but because 1. The hind legs are not active enough and 2. The horse is not straight.
These two issus go hand in hand, fix the hinds legs and the straightness will improve, which will allow the horse to work into your contact.
Pulling on the inside rein will merely exhuberate this problem, the issue is the hind end, fix that, and the head tilt will go too - no reins needed.

I'd be interested to see photos/video of how your mare travels.
     
    11-07-2011, 11:27 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
Tilting at the poll, or head tilt, are the terms you are looking for.

Generally this comes not because the horse wants to look at something outside the arena, but because 1. The hind legs are not active enough and 2. The horse is not straight.
These two issus go hand in hand, fix the hinds legs and the straightness will improve, which will allow the horse to work into your contact.
Pulling on the inside rein will merely exhuberate this problem, the issue is the hind end, fix that, and the head tilt will go too - no reins needed.

I'd be interested to see photos/video of how your mare travels.
But she only does it when there's stuff going on outside.. She's half saddlebred and by nature she's very 'looky'

I'll try to get a video of her next time I go out.
     
    11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
  #4
Trained
Video would be great.

How are you using your inside rein to correct this?
Pulling backwards on the rein is going to cause more tilt - try opening your inside rein and riding your body towards your outside hand.
     
    11-07-2011, 11:54 PM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds    
My mare does this little trick where I have her bending her whole body the way I want, for example to the inside, and she can turn her head only from the poll so that she is still looking to the outside, with her nose to the inside, if there's something interesting. I don't know what it would technically be called, but my last trainer called it 'bending at the poll' and that seems pretty correct.
Incorrect terminology and gives the wrong impression what is being done is correct.

As Kayty said it is tilting and incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds    
I use a lot of inside rein and a LOT of inside leg and try to really push her into the bend, but her body's not the problem. Neck, nose, and body are all bent where I want, but she still manages to tilt her head to look to the outside.. I'm not sure how to explain it correctly xD

This will only increase the tilt.

Your outside rein is being ineffective. Give up using the inside rein so much. Here is where leg yields would be helpful.
Kayty likes this.
     
    11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
  #6
Yearling
I use outside rein too. :P
     
    11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
  #7
Trained
Even if using some outside rein, over using the inside rein will create tilt or other crookedness
LoveTheSaddlebreds likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bending help Meaghan1011 English Riding 10 02-03-2010 04:24 PM
Bending... gogirl46 Dressage 5 11-02-2009 05:05 PM
bending boxer Dressage 7 10-16-2009 03:16 PM
Bending help, please. x.x Twig English Riding 14 09-06-2008 07:57 PM
Bending??? JDsmum Horse Training 2 08-10-2008 03:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0