On the bit? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
Great post Dressage101 - but don't forget the importancy of proper riders seat.

Seat into legs, into hands.
MIEventer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 28
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
Great post Dressage101 - but don't forget the importancy of proper riders seat.

Seat into legs, into hands.
Thank you!

Yes that is very true!! I just try to keep it as simple as possible on a forum because it is hard to take a lot of info and remember it when on a horse without a teacher. But, proper seat is very, very important!!

Hopefully the rider has a good seat concept already!
I notice a lot of riders understand the order but still use their hands first.
Dressage101 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
Many, many. Many riders ride front to back - because it is what they are being taught. They are being taught to fidget with their horses faces...oooooor - they see a horse collected and they want that result and do whatever they can to get the quick fix...without knowing how to do it properly and educatedly.

Anyone who teaches to fidget with the horses face, is riding incorrectly.

I used to do it. And the results I got, were not right. It was what I was being taught, and it was not right. It wasn't until I started to ride under a very educated, experienced coach who has been working hard with me to fill in the holes - and now I see the true results of riding back to front, not front to back.
MIEventer is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressage101 View Post
Thank you!

Yes that is very true!! I just try to keep it as simple as possible on a forum because it is hard to take a lot of info and remember it when on a horse without a teacher. But, proper seat is very, very important!!

Hopefully the rider has a good seat concept already!
I notice a lot of riders understand the order but still use their hands first.

It is not the words that are said on a forum but the TOTAL understanding of them and the ability to explain IN DETAIL what is right and what is wrong and be able to explain IN DETAIL the consequenses of something done incorrectly.
Spyder is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 852
• Horses: 3
Just a thought, MIEventer?

You posted, 'Your breeches should just brush the seat of your saddle and all your bodies weight should be in your heels.'

I tend to disagree with putting all the weight in the heels. You don't post from the stirrup, you post with a leg that's close to the girth and just hugging softly, and from your upper thighs. I've noticed from other posts you've mentioned good leg position when riding, so I was wondering if it was a typo as you wrote your novel? (no jesting there! :) When I write long posts I tend to start messing up because I just want to be done. Lol!)

If not... what's your reasoning? I am just curious... I used to post from the stirrup and was amazed at my horses' responses when I changed the method.

Dressage in Jeans - My blog with dressage tips for happy, relaxed horses, specifically for those who ride dressage in western saddles, no saddles, cowboy boots, or jeans. ;) Also now with cute pygmy goat pictures! :P
mayfieldk is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
When your seat lands back into the tack while in the rising trot, you could be effecting your horses back.

The purpose of the rising trot is to free your horses back, so when you land back into it for that breif moment, that could be effecting his/her movement.

Your heels are meant to take your bodies weight, to secure your seat and your lower body

I do not ride with my upper thigh, and my knees are always open *not gripping the saddle*

I ride with my heels taking my weight and my inner calf around my horses girth.

I am not saying that you post from the stirrups - but your heels should be taking your bodies weight - because they anchor you and aid you. When you grip with your knees or close your thighs, you effect your seat and you effect the flow that should be dipursing into your heels.

Leg position is imperative. Your legs must aid your seat, keeping the impulsion, and aiding in lifting the back and ribs. You do that through your lower leg, not upper.

The post must be a soft, gentle movement. When you allow your horses movement to lift you out of your tack, there's not allot of work that you need to be doing.
MIEventer is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 28
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
It is not the words that are said on a forum but the TOTAL understanding of them and the ability to explain IN DETAIL what is right and what is wrong and be able to explain IN DETAIL the consequenses of something done incorrectly.
But, simple is best and is usually better understood.
Dressage101 is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 852
• Horses: 3
I understand how posting works, thanks. ;)

I may agree that your weight should be coming through your heels, but I do not think you should ignore the upper thigh, or the abdominals, for that case. How do you imagine to post without stirrups? Have a death grip with your calves? No one ever said you had to grip with your knee to post out of thigh and calf. You knee, also, should not be taken away from the saddle. When the weight is put solely in the stirrups, your foot pops off the horse and your heel becomes a springboard.

And I disagree--I think my horse should be keeping the impulsion and lifting his back and base of the neck, not my legs. ;)

Dressage in Jeans - My blog with dressage tips for happy, relaxed horses, specifically for those who ride dressage in western saddles, no saddles, cowboy boots, or jeans. ;) Also now with cute pygmy goat pictures! :P
mayfieldk is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
When your seat lands back into the tack while in the rising trot, you could be effecting your horses back.
To explain what I mean by my previous post, this answer is fine but it does NOT explain just what it effects and how.

So my question her is ...HOW ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
The purpose of the rising trot is to free your horses back, so when you land back into it for that breif moment, that could be effecting his/her movement.
Again...explain in what way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
Your heels are meant to take your bodies weight, to secure your seat and your lower body
How are you securing your seat and lower back by your heels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
I do not ride with my upper thigh, and my knees are always open *not gripping the saddle*
Agreed but open can mean so much to different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
I ride with my heels taking my weight and my inner calf around my horses girth.
Some could take this explaination as meaning gripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
I am not saying that you post from the stirrups - but your heels should be taking your bodies weight - because they anchor you and aid you. When you grip with your knees or close your thighs, you effect your seat and you effect the flow that should be dipursing into your heels.
This may sound like you are contradicting yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
Leg position is imperative. Your legs must aid your seat, keeping the impulsion, and aiding in lifting the back and ribs. You do that through your lower leg, not upper.
Again you legs can be on the neck but you don't give any explaination than the leg position is important which I agree to but without saying why there is no substance to your words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
The post must be a soft, gentle movement. When you allow your horses movement to lift you out of your tack, there's not allot of work that you need to be doing.
I agree here.
Spyder is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,357
• Horses: 2
Wow, I'm loving all the responses this is getting. I think I'm understanding it a bit better... Speaking of posting, according to my trainer my lower legs move a bit when I post and I'm not sure how to correct that. Also according to her sometimes they're totally fine and I have a great lower leg position but other times not so much. I've read that when the lower leg moves it's because you're gripping with your knees or something (I don't remember exactly) but I can tell you that I do not grip with my knees...I used to but I don't anymore. I guess my position on a horse is more functional than pretty seeing as how I can ride through pretty much anything any horse throws at me but I want it to be more pretty. =) Sorry if this gets turned into one big chunk, my internet provider blocked this site for some reason so I'm using a proxy site that messes it all up. =/
Wallaby is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



« Crop? | Eventing »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome