Breast Girth vs. Breast Plate - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Breast Girth vs. Breast Plate

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two are? Do they serve the same function? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks!
Katyusha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
They all pretty much serve the same purpose, in stabilizing/keeping the saddle in its place.

The Breast Girths should not be used on horses with a neck that is at all low-set. Too easy to start interfering with the windpipe. They should be attached low at the girth with the strap over withers. Always use a Neckstrap with the Breast Girths.

http://www.harwoodfarm.co.uk/shop/im...1766-large.jpg

~~~~

The Breast Plate - goes over the horses neck, and connects to the D Rings on the english saddle, and then attaches to the girth underneath.

http://www.balanceinternational.com/..._600_2GNUK.jpg

The Beast Girth and the Breast Plate make contact with the saddle in different area's - but do the same job in keeping the saddle in place.

Then we have the very popular 5 Point Breast Plate. This Breast Plate, does the same of the two above, all at once. It attaches to both the D Rings, and the girth.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2832615_n.jpg

MIEventer is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
They all pretty much serve the same purpose, in stabilizing/keeping the saddle in its place.

The Breast Girths should not be used on horses with a neck that is at all low-set. Too easy to start interfering with the windpipe. They should be attached low at the girth with the strap over withers. Always use a Neckstrap with the Breast Girths.

http://www.harwoodfarm.co.uk/shop/im...1766-large.jpg

~~~~

The Breast Plate - goes over the horses neck, and connects to the D Rings on the english saddle, and then attaches to the girth underneath.

http://www.balanceinternational.com/..._600_2GNUK.jpg

The Beast Girth and the Breast Plate make contact with the saddle in different area's - but do the same job in keeping the saddle in place.

Then we have the very popular 5 Point Breast Plate. This Breast Plate, does the same of the two above, all at once. It attaches to both the D Rings, and the girth.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2832615_n.jpg
Thanks for the detailed response and the pictures! But how do you determine which one to use? Is it your horse's build? Or just preference?
Katyusha is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
If your horses neck is low set - don't use the Breast Girth.

If in doubt, go with a Breast Plate. Get an Elastic one, because they give and take and move with the horse better than an average leather Beast Plate.

MIEventer is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pasadena, Maryland
Posts: 863
• Horses: 0
I use the breast girth...but don't use the neck strap, and it's just fine.

I'd love to eventually afford a 5 point breat plate :)
Posted via Mobile Device
lubylol is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,315
• Horses: 0
Many of the jumper breast collars don't have a neck strap and attach higher. They are mostly made of elastic so that they interfere much less with breathing



The reason for their being attached so high is that it interferes less with the shoulder movement, a problem with the breastcollar shown in Mi's post.

It is a question of tradeoffs. The breastcollar that attaches lower offers more stability for the saddle. If the saddle still slips with a hunting breastplate or a jumping breastcollar, then that would be the best option.

The fivepoint breastplate offers the advantages of the breastplate and breastcollar without most of the disadvantages of shoulder or windpipe interference.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
If your horses neck is low set - don't use the Breast Girth.

If in doubt, go with a Breast Plate. Get an Elastic one, because they give and take and move with the horse better than an average leather Beast Plate.
This is probably a silly question - but how do I determine if his neck his low set? Based on the picture you provided, is it safe to assume if it lays any higher than that?
Katyusha is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
Many of the jumper breast collars don't have a neck strap and attach higher. They are mostly made of elastic so that they interfere much less with breathing



The reason for their being attached so high is that it interferes less with the shoulder movement, a problem with the breastcollar shown in Mi's post.

It is a question of tradeoffs. The breastcollar that attaches lower offers more stability for the saddle. If the saddle still slips with a hunting breastplate or a jumping breastcollar, then that would be the best option.

The fivepoint breastplate offers the advantages of the breastplate and breastcollar without most of the disadvantages of shoulder or windpipe interference.
Thank you!

I still have a lot to learn about tack
Katyusha is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middleburg, VA
Posts: 100
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
If your horses neck is low set - don't use the Breast Girth.

If in doubt, go with a Breast Plate. Get an Elastic one, because they give and take and move with the horse better than an average leather Beast Plate.

Would you be able to recommend a good elastic breast plate? Let's pretend price isn't an issue :)
Katyusha is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pasadena, Maryland
Posts: 863
• Horses: 0
Allison, that's what mine looks like, with the fleece cover and all. Glad to see it doesn't interfere :)
Posted via Mobile Device
lubylol is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
breast plate versus breast collar? livestoride Horse Tack and Equipment 4 11-03-2011 12:00 PM
Large Hunters Breast Plate FS! Gidget Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 09-17-2011 02:49 AM
Breast collar = breast plate ? Kay26 Horse Riding 10 10-23-2010 09:52 PM
breast plate HELP katiiii Horse Tack and Equipment 2 05-05-2008 09:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome