Can't stay in the two point!!? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the saddle
Posts: 179
• Horses: 0
Yes, balance will come from experience. When I first started riding at my old barn, I could barely hold it at the walk for more than a few seconds! Now I can walk, trot, canter, circle, or do whatever for pretty much as long as I want - with or without stirrups - in two-point! It will come...
Watch a few equitation medal courses on youtube and watch how they ride their fences.
And yes, sink your weight into your heels. Pretend you're "melting" and your heels are where everything's dripping from lol but it does help. And that should be at all gaits, the heels down.
Roll your knee into the knee roll of your saddle if it has one, that's why it's there.
Hold onto mane and the crest of your horse's neck. When I hold on I always give them scratches as a reward ^_^
Posted via Mobile Device
hunterjumper1998 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,156
• Horses: 0
OP, here's a good way to find your proper balanced 2-point position. Stand straight up in the stirrups and then almost sit down in the saddle without losing your balance. You will find you have to fold at the hips to do this, but that's was 2-point position is, a balanced almost sitting down position. If your thighs burn and scream for mercy when you do it, you've got it right.

You just have to see your distance...you don't have to like it.
MyBoyPuck is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 20,744
• Horses: 3
The man in the pic is eventing and most riders tend to have their foot further into the stirrup cross country than you would in an equitation class - but his weight is still sinking down into his heel and not on the toe - you don't want to be pushing yourself out of the saddle or you lose stability
The thigh is pressed against the horse for close contact - but that's not the same as gripping like a vice around the horse which will cause the wrong sort of muscle tension
ShahzebNasir likes this.
jaydee is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 171
• Horses: 1
It's all in the knees. They are your shock absorbers, the "link" between your upper body and lower leg. If they're relaxed and flexible, you should be able to absorb the concussion of the trot. Two point at the trot is hard! Sounds like you're doing very well to be where you're at now!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will finally know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Dawn854 is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjumper1998 View Post
Yes, balance will come from experience. When I first started riding at my old barn, I could barely hold it at the walk for more than a few seconds! Now I can walk, trot, canter, circle, or do whatever for pretty much as long as I want - with or without stirrups - in two-point! It will come...
Watch a few equitation medal courses on youtube and watch how they ride their fences.
And yes, sink your weight into your heels. Pretend you're "melting" and your heels are where everything's dripping from lol but it does help. And that should be at all gaits, the heels down.
Roll your knee into the knee roll of your saddle if it has one, that's why it's there.
Hold onto mane and the crest of your horse's neck. When I hold on I always give them scratches as a reward ^_^
Posted via Mobile Device
:O hahaha that is what I always imagine too! The dripping part while melting! I'll check those videos out then thank you for the suggestion. The thing is how do you keep yourself up without stirrups? For example when you stand in the stirrups you obviously have to balance in the stirrups and that lifts you out of the saddle, when you're posting to the trot the horse's bounce pushes you up... The two point without stirrups seems a bit impossible to me! How would you do that??

Yeah I love to give my school horse loads of scratches and rubs after riding he seems to love me for it! Also that is an absolutely beautiful horse in your profile picture! Is it a thoroughbred or an anglo-arab? I can't tell because the photo is really small! Thank you for your reply!
ShahzebNasir is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck View Post
OP, here's a good way to find your proper balanced 2-point position. Stand straight up in the stirrups and then almost sit down in the saddle without losing your balance. You will find you have to fold at the hips to do this, but that's was 2-point position is, a balanced almost sitting down position. If your thighs burn and scream for mercy when you do it, you've got it right.
That makes it soooooooooooo much easier to understand! Thank you for that! Although won't this method teach me to rely too much on the stirrups? So far every website, book, blog, article, etc. I've read seems to say that you should never need the stirrups for anything! How should I tackle that issue? Thanks for the reply!
ShahzebNasir is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
The man in the pic is eventing and most riders tend to have their foot further into the stirrup cross country than you would in an equitation class - but his weight is still sinking down into his heel and not on the toe - you don't want to be pushing yourself out of the saddle or you lose stability
The thigh is pressed against the horse for close contact - but that's not the same as gripping like a vice around the horse which will cause the wrong sort of muscle tension
OH WAIT!!! So you mean I'm not supposed to lift myself out of the saddle!!?? You mean just lift my bum out of the saddle while pressing lightly with my thighs like when you're coming back down in the rising trot and lean forward slightly while pressing with my calves for support? I THINK WE HAVE A BREAKTHROUGH!!!!! Unless I've got it wrong hahaha! Is what I've said right?!
ShahzebNasir is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn854 View Post
It's all in the knees. They are your shock absorbers, the "link" between your upper body and lower leg. If they're relaxed and flexible, you should be able to absorb the concussion of the trot. Two point at the trot is hard! Sounds like you're doing very well to be where you're at now!
Thank you!! Yes I've been keeping my knees A LOT more relaxed for the past few lessons! I can't wait to get back to riding this Monday! One day seems too long a break hahaha and ooooh no I am far from a good rider! I have loads to learn! I can just post well-ish to the trot I hope to get the canter down well!
ShahzebNasir is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 26
• Horses: 0
Also I have one other issue! My instructor tells me to stand in the stirrups in every lesson I have! I can do it pretty well when my horse is standing not for too long when he is walking - I can only do it for a quarter of a round in the arena and I was having trouble doing it during the trot because the bounce would move my thighs away from the saddle and then I would have to come back down into my seat... Ugggghhh why must things be so hard sometimes also the reason I'm a little edgy regarding my riding is because I'm 18 turning 19 in a couple of months and I feel I am wayyyy to old to ride! Some kids at the school have been riding for years and years and they're only 8 or 9!! How long realistically will I take to be at a level where I can show or compete? Also how is standing in the stirrups different to staying in the two-point? Standing in the stirrups and the two-point seem to be the things that really stop me from progressing quicker when riding. Thank you everyone who has replied so far! All replies have been really helpful and have helped me a lot!

EDIT: I am incredibly grateful for having the opportunity to be able to ride! There are some people that don't even have the basic necessities of life and here I am being worried about how old I am! So ignore that part of the post! If it's the two-point and standing in the stirrups that have me complaining in life then I really have nothing in life to complain about! I'll just take my lessons slowly and not try to be an olympic athlete overnight so just ignore the age part of the post and do let me know how to improve my standing in stirrups and two point! Thank you all have a great day!
ShahzebNasir is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 20,744
• Horses: 3
Your thigh strength will give you that 'lift' from your knees that you need to raise your bum out of the saddle.
Try to think that you need to be sitting 'into' your horse with the rest of your body to be strong and secure - that's where the 'melting down' idea comes in
The 'standing in your stirrups' exercise is a different thing to 2 point (or at least it is in my head' - it will help your balance, strengthen your legs and also put your legs in a good position so the stirrup leathers are vertical and not going back too far or forward too far. If you scroll down a short way in this link it shows 2 pics of someone called Joe demonstrating standing in the stirrups - Figs. 3a & 3b. You need to aim at staying more upright in this excercise
Secure Seat (SM): A Safe and Systematic Approach to Teaching Riding
jaydee is offline  
Reply

Tags
balance , halfseat , post , risingtrot , twopoint

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't know what to do - where should I stay? Kyro Horse Talk 7 03-16-2014 04:16 PM
Should I stay, or should I go? Jumping4Joy Horse Boarding 18 03-05-2014 06:36 PM
Where to stay? OriginallyDutch General Off Topic Discussion 0 09-17-2012 05:56 PM
Should I stay or should I go? IRaceBarrels Horse Boarding 9 08-26-2012 09:44 PM
should i stay or should i go horselovermae Horse Talk 6 08-19-2010 02:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome