at a canter - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

at a canter

This is a discussion on at a canter within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • What causes rolling in the canter

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
  #11
Yearling
Re: at a canter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Don't assume that because they are big, that their canter is hard to sit ;) it's usually the other way around
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but is this generally true for all gaits? I'm riding horses that are 16hh or larger in lessons, and quite solidly built, and enjoy their paces. Today I was riding a horse/pony that was probably 14.1hh or so (I didn't measure him, but I'm five eight and could definitely see over the withers) and while I didn't canter, his trot was so short and choppy in comparison to those of the larger horses - it felt quite uncomfortable! I know a lot of things affect the trot, but he had such short strides and it didn't feel as springy and relaxed.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-30-2008, 08:47 AM
  #12
Weanling
I cantered him yesterday and really pushed with the heels-it was better I stayed in the stirrups. I think I am leaning forward in anticipation which throws my center of balance off kilter. He has a wonderful canter and I should be able to sit it easily!!!! It is hard to grip with legs and knees and keep my heels down and legs back hmmmm. Thanks for all your help
     
    06-30-2008, 09:59 AM
  #13
Showing
Re: at a canter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireauriga
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Don't assume that because they are big, that their canter is hard to sit ;) it's usually the other way around
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but is this generally true for all gaits? I'm riding horses that are 16hh or larger in lessons, and quite solidly built, and enjoy their paces. Today I was riding a horse/pony that was probably 14.1hh or so (I didn't measure him, but I'm five eight and could definitely see over the withers) and while I didn't canter, his trot was so short and choppy in comparison to those of the larger horses - it felt quite uncomfortable! I know a lot of things affect the trot, but he had such short strides and it didn't feel as springy and relaxed.
My point exactly. Tho there are special situations, bigger horses will have larger strides making them, a lot of the time a lot more comfortable to ride.
     
    07-01-2008, 08:47 PM
  #14
Foal
Alot of times a rolling canter causes this. It usually the foot that comes out is the lead he is on. Try to put weight in your stirrups and plant your butt hard. This might work. Good luck!!
     
    07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyGirl
alot of times a rolling canter causes this. It usually the foot that comes out is the lead he is on. Try to put weight in your stirrups and plant your butt hard. This might work. Good luck!!
i second that and I know this might sound crazy but when you start to canter imagine a string that goes heel hip head.
Also imagine that you have 25lbs weights on your heels.(sorry I teach children)
     
    07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
  #16
Weanling
No appology needed sometimes I feel like a child-all of the advise really helps.
     
    07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
  #17
Yearling
Cantering today I was having some trouble with my stirrups too - my question is how do you put weight in your heels when you're cantering? XD It's pretty obvious in the trot, but when it comes to cantering I have to concentrate so hard on keeping a snug grip with my lower legs to keep me in the saddle that it seems hard to put weight into my heels rather than just sticking them down.
     
    07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
  #18
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireauriga
I have to concentrate so hard on keeping a snug grip with my lower legs to keep me in the saddle that it seems hard to put weight into my heels rather than just sticking them down.
I think that may be your problem. You should be sitting down deep in that saddle; without relying (much) on your lower leg. Try to grip with your thighs, and make that tush stay in touch with that saddle! :)
     
    07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
  #19
Yearling
Gotcha. I wish I had a bigger bum, it might make sticking it to things easier xD And I have no padding so my seat bones take a beating when I make mistakes. Rising to the trot coincided with a low-hanging branch at the weekend and I banged myself pretty hard on the saddle xD

I get moments when it all just works, and then the moment's gone and I'm bouncing about crazily again. My instructor promises it comes with practice, and I believe her, but I can't wait to get there. One thing she does which I like is after every round of what we're doing, she asks me about it so I'm really aware of the progress I'm making and how things feel and so on. It's great for your confidence.
     
    07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireauriga
Cantering today I was having some trouble with my stirrups too - my question is how do you put weight in your heels when you're cantering? XD It's pretty obvious in the trot, but when it comes to cantering I have to concentrate so hard on keeping a snug grip with my lower legs to keep me in the saddle that it seems hard to put weight into my heels rather than just sticking them down.

Its not really that you want weight in your heels as much as you want weight on the ball of your foot and your heels down. Just apply a little wieght. And when your horse canters instead of staying stiff roll your hips with your horse. It sound hard but its really not. When I say roll your hips just keep your upperbody still and make all the movements in your hips. A good example would be : When you hula-hoop your upper body usually stays pretty still and your lower body moves. Please let me know if I made any since at all!! Good Luck!!
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0