Canter?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Canter?

This is a discussion on Canter? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Cantor in riding a horse we borrow freedom

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-03-2013, 09:42 PM
  #1
Foal
Exclamation Canter?

I have been having trying to canter but I just can't get a grasp on it. Does anyone have any tips?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-03-2013, 10:13 PM
  #2
Trained
What's the problem you're having?

What style of riding are you doing?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
What's the problem you're having?

What style of riding are you doing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dressage
     
    11-03-2013, 10:42 PM
  #4
Showing
Okay we need more information

Does your horse speed up? Does your horse duck into the center of the arena? Does your horse have experience being under saddle? How long have you been riding? Have you or have you ever been in lessons? How old is your horse? Do you feel safe walking and trotting your horse, but not in canter?
     
    11-03-2013, 10:53 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Okay we need more information

Does your horse speed up? Does your horse duck into the center of the arena? Does your horse have experience being under saddle? How long have you been riding? Have you or have you ever been in lessons? How old is your horse? Do you feel safe walking and trotting your horse, but not in canter?
She is not my horse. But yes she does speed up. Yes she has experience. I have been riding for about 3 months. Yes I do lessons 3 times a week. The horse is about 12 almost 13. Yes I fell safe with everything. It is just every time I start to canter it is like my mind goes blank.. (Does that make sense). I get so excited that I forget. I mean I have grownup up with horses so it is not like I am scared.
     
    11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
  #6
Weanling
Pffftt I'm scared!!!! Lol Cantering my lesson horse, excites her a lot. Especially down the long end of the arena. She's a spunky girl, and I get scared with my corners.

I would ask maybe if your coach has someone else even if it's just for a lesson or two that's slower to help with your confidence. With the other horse I ride, he's got a super nice canter. We cantered for 30 minutes, I've never done more then a minute on my other girl. He's got a nice canter, I can relax my breathing and think! And not worry about anything else.
Fifi6523 likes this.
     
    11-03-2013, 11:04 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetempest89    
pffftt I'm scared!!!! Lol Cantering my lesson horse, excites her a lot. Especially down the long end of the arena. She's a spunky girl, and I get scared with my corners.

I would ask maybe if your coach has someone else even if it's just for a lesson or two that's slower to help with your confidence. With the other horse I ride, he's got a super nice canter. We cantered for 30 minutes, I've never done more then a minute on my other girl. He's got a nice canter, I can relax my breathing and think! And not worry about anything else.
WOW! Thank you so much! That is great!!!!
     
    11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi6523    
She is not my horse. But yes she does speed up. Yes she has experience. I have been riding for about 3 months. Yes I do lessons 3 times a week. The horse is about 12 almost 13. Yes I fell safe with everything. It is just every time I start to canter it is like my mind goes blank.. (Does that make sense). I get so excited that I forget. I mean I have grownup up with horses so it is not like I am scared.
This is much better! Okay so you're new to riding, and yes cantering is a HUGE adrenaline rush. I completely relate to you on that level.

Can you ask your coach to put you on the lungeline so you can hold onto the front of the saddle and feel the canter?
     
    11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  #9
Started
When I relearned to canter after a 20 year absensce from riding, I had to borrow another horse. The first horse knew that I was scared so it flat out refused to canter. So my instructor borrowed a horse from a boarder that didn't know me and she taught me to get over the fear/excitement of cantering. Then she put me back on the previous horse and suddenly, he cantered!
     
    11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by frlsgirl    
When I relearned to canter after a 20 year absensce from riding, I had to borrow another horse. The first horse knew that I was scared so it flat out refused to canter. So my instructor borrowed a horse from a boarder that didn't know me and she taught me to get over the fear/excitement of cantering. Then she put me back on the previous horse and suddenly, he cantered!
=) I am happy for you!!!! =) So I should try a different horse?
     

Tags
canter, help me, horses, riding

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking canter depart without applying aids = canter depart? frlsgirl Dressage 4 09-25-2013 07:17 PM
Canter Ellieandrose Horse Training 9 11-15-2012 08:58 AM
Please Help With Canter Amy1977 Horse Training 10 04-19-2012 07:39 AM
New to the canter purplefrog55 English Riding 4 04-10-2011 09:00 PM
How do you train walk to canter, and help with canter leads? PintoTess Horse Training 5 10-12-2010 08:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0