Did I make the right desision to leave this horse?
I've been riding a really hot 15.3 hand mare named Florida for the past month or so. She's a saddlebredXCleveland Bay with very little extra training(can walk, trot, canter, leadchange over jump, and jump. That's about it). I was told before riding by people around my barn that she a a dangerous horse, not to get on her, yadayadayada, but they only say that because the only time they've seen her is on the trail, which she was TERRIFYED of.
Her owner, Alex, used to train in Iran when he was younger, and one of his students went to the National Showjumping championships. He was pretty bit "back in the day" he says. Florida, on a small lunge line with only 6 or so strides around, jumps almost 5 feet with ease, never even touching the pole. On her back, we're currently jumping three feet and she's doing amazing(her only fault is the occasional cross fire and a very high head).
She was trained fully on the bit, and now at the age 11, is just starting to get used to bending to leg. She wasn't trained propperly with leg cues, so she is super hard on the mouth, but once you warm her up and she starts listening, boy can she move. And I love her so much for it! She's one of the rare horses that I REALLY click with, and I enjoy riding her a lot. I know that she is hot, but I would never call her a dangerous, untrainable horse like she has been proclaimed as, even though I am training her every ride, instead of being able to work on my own riding.
Alex is moving, though, and he's offering to sell her to be for 800$, just because he wants her sold before he moves to a good home. I wanted that offer so badly, I found all the good barns, called for prices, set up a big plan with one for stalls, shows, I even set up vet, farrier, insurance, etc. My parents were willing to pay 200 a month for boarding and I had to do the rest. I wanted this horse. But when I brought in a friend who I really trust with judgment and let her give her advice, she said not to take it. That I need a horse that teaches me before I can teach them.
So, I came to my sences and decided that I would rather wait a year or two for my family to get out of our money crisis, get a good horse, with good boarding, instead of flying by the pennies we saved. So I'm still riding Florida every day, but I'm not going to buy her, and I'm trying to sell her for 800.
We're going to a few jumper shows for her first shows soon, and if she does well(which I think she will. Florida is extremely fast and never knocks a rail), then we're going to try and sell her more.
But I just want to ask people, who don't have bias towards me yet, Did I make the right decision?
Do you think it was good of me to decide not to take this oppertunity, and let her go to someone who can push her harder and show her more?
I just.. I feel horrible while doing it, because I truely love this mare, but half of me is battling the other half whether it was a good decision or not.