Dressage.....Helmets with no straps?!
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Dressage.....Helmets with no straps?!

This is a discussion on Dressage.....Helmets with no straps?! within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Hunt hat with no straps
  • English hunt hat

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
  #1
Weanling
Dressage.....Helmets with no straps?!

OK, I was looking at pictures from our 2008 county fair and while going through the dressage pictures, I discovered that some of the rider's helmets have no straps on them! Am I missing something or what is up?!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
  #2
Trained
There are many different types of head coverings in competition. Over fences and in other sports, protective headgear (helmets) are required, but in dressage after you are a certain age you do not need to wear a helmet, but many people choose to. There are three other main types of head coverings, the hunt cap, the bowler and the top hat. Hunt caps and bowlers are popular at lower levels of dressage and are worn with a short jacket. Top hats are highly suggested (although no longer required - it is a novelty to see a higher level rider in a helmet in competition) at higher levels and are worn with a tail coat. Top hats are not traditionally work with a short jacket, but this has become very common in recent years.

Hunt Cap

Bowler

Top Hat
     
    02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
  #3
Banned
I would also like to point out that it is traditional for male riders to actually take the hat off when saluting and having no straps does make it a lot easier in those cases.
     
    02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
  #4
Started
I have a helmet with no straps. Its not usef (?) approved but my sis wears it when we ride on the road, at a walk
     
    02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
  #5
Green Broke
They are used in all disaplines, the only one I think that hunt caps are not allowed in the XC phase of eventing. IF you watch Rolex, some riders don't wear helmets in Jumping. ANd they are popluar in Hunters.
     
    02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
They are used in all disaplines, the only one I think that hunt caps are not allowed in the XC phase of eventing. IF you watch Rolex, some riders don't wear helmets in Jumping. ANd they are popluar in Hunters.
Helmets are required in showjumping. Have been for a few years now.
     
    02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Those are considered "items of apparel only" and have no safety value. If I remember correctly USEF requires all juniors (anyone under 18) to wear an approved safety helmet and most shows under organizations that are affiliated with USEF will require all riders to wear them regardless of age. I'm assuming your county fair is not affiliated and doesn't follow those guidelines.
     
    02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover    
Those are considered "items of apparel only" and have no safety value. If I remember correctly USEF requires all juniors (anyone under 18) to wear an approved safety helmet and most shows under organizations that are affiliated with USEF will require all riders to wear them regardless of age. I'm assuming your county fair is not affiliated and doesn't follow those guidelines.
only if they are under 18 are they required to wear a certified helmet. After that, no one really cares. Its required to where SOMETHING in the actual show (ie a tophat or a bowler or whatever) but its not actually required to wear a helmet
     
    02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
Helmets are required in showjumping. Have been for a few years now.
maybe in the actual sport of SJ, but some eventers don't, at least I don't think so
     
    02-23-2009, 06:57 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
maybe in the actual sport of SJ, but some eventers don't, at least I don't think so
In the approved US Eventing Association rule book.............

EV 114 Dress

In all levels of eventing from beginner to advanced in the competition the rider must wear a hard hat on the flat and jumping ANY obsticle.

I would have though you would have known.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/12-EV.pdf
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jod straps at shows sunnylover Horse Shows 10 08-27-2008 10:48 PM
Helmets .Delete. Horse Riding 83 03-12-2008 08:38 AM
Helmets Vidaloco Horse Tack and Equipment 17 12-31-2007 06:47 AM
Any Size 8 Helmets Out There? CrufflerSteve Horse Tack and Equipment 4 10-09-2007 02:04 AM
Slobber Straps? horse_luver4e Horse Tack and Equipment 4 09-18-2007 09:01 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0