First lesson with new trainer
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

First lesson with new trainer

This is a discussion on First lesson with new trainer within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By LoveDanceRide

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-30-2013, 09:59 PM
      #1
    Started
    Smile First lesson with new trainer

    I'm so excited...today (finally!) was my first lesson with my AQHA trainer. I'm hopefully going to take Ace to his place once a week, and he's going to aim me towards AQHA hunter under saddle and equitation, then eventually hunter hack. I realize we have a lot to work on, but he said that Ace is a good enough mover to do the HUS (which I was pleased to hear) and that showing this fall/winter would be possible. For a while we worked on keeping Ace on a circle and getting him to give his head and keep it down. He said I have to be very consistent with it, teaching him that when he's working, he needs to hold his head the way I want him to. He also stressed the importance of using my legs too, so he doesn't just drop back from the pressure, but goes into the bit and uses his hindquarters. Ace did really well with that; he gave me some time to try it on my own and he was really wanting to stretch down after a while and was taking some very powerful steps! Then we tried a small horsemanship pattern, which Ace pretty much failed at but he said that was okay, we'll just have something to work on. At the end he took Ace to his round pen and free lunged him in a device sort of like side reins (worked the same but not side reins) and gave me a martingale to ride in at home to get him used to giving to pressure and keeping his head down. He's definitely not a trainer to use force or lots of bit pulling or gadgets, but he said he likes to start horses out in the martingale/side reins to get them used to giving to pressure and staying there where it's more comfortable, then once they get the idea they work without it, except for the occasional tune up. He said he liked the martingale because it would still be my rein pressure, with a little added something. He wants Ace to want to give, not have to. So, all in all, I know we have a LOT to work on, but I'm so excited that I've found someone who really wants to get us to where I want to be. Can't wait til the next lesson! We're finally getting some professional help!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-01-2013, 12:24 AM
      #2
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howrsegirl123    
    I'm so excited...today (finally!) was my first lesson with my AQHA trainer. I'm hopefully going to take Ace to his place once a week, and he's going to aim me towards AQHA hunter under saddle and equitation, then eventually hunter hack. I realize we have a lot to work on, but he said that Ace is a good enough mover to do the HUS (which I was pleased to hear) and that showing this fall/winter would be possible. For a while we worked on keeping Ace on a circle and getting him to give his head and keep it down. He said I have to be very consistent with it, teaching him that when he's working, he needs to hold his head the way I want him to. He also stressed the importance of using my legs too, so he doesn't just drop back from the pressure, but goes into the bit and uses his hindquarters. Ace did really well with that; he gave me some time to try it on my own and he was really wanting to stretch down after a while and was taking some very powerful steps! Then we tried a small horsemanship pattern, which Ace pretty much failed at but he said that was okay, we'll just have something to work on. At the end he took Ace to his round pen and free lunged him in a device sort of like side reins (worked the same but not side reins) and gave me a martingale to ride in at home to get him used to giving to pressure and keeping his head down. He's definitely not a trainer to use force or lots of bit pulling or gadgets, but he said he likes to start horses out in the martingale/side reins to get them used to giving to pressure and staying there where it's more comfortable, then once they get the idea they work without it, except for the occasional tune up. He said he liked the martingale because it would still be my rein pressure, with a little added something. He wants Ace to want to give, not have to. So, all in all, I know we have a LOT to work on, but I'm so excited that I've found someone who really wants to get us to where I want to be. Can't wait til the next lesson! We're finally getting some professional help!
    No... no no no.

    I fell for the same thing and it honestly ruined my horse. We went from beginning of self carriage to bracing, leaning, nose in the air.

    Ditch the gadgets, learn to ride your horse properly without a martingale. Lots of leg and once the horse stops bracing and gives to you, ride him into a soft giving hand.

    It's a lot of work, especially when it's "easy" to pull your horse's head down to get what you want... but it's not right.

    I'm glad that you have a goal though and you saw improvement. But seriously I trusted a trainer with the same agenda and IT WAS NOT GOOD FOR MY HORSE.
         
        07-01-2013, 10:21 AM
      #3
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    No... no no no.

    I fell for the same thing and it honestly ruined my horse. We went from beginning of self carriage to bracing, leaning, nose in the air.

    Ditch the gadgets, learn to ride your horse properly without a martingale. Lots of leg and once the horse stops bracing and gives to you, ride him into a soft giving hand.

    It's a lot of work, especially when it's "easy" to pull your horse's head down to get what you want... but it's not right.

    I'm glad that you have a goal though and you saw improvement. But seriously I trusted a trainer with the same agenda and IT WAS NOT GOOD FOR MY HORSE.
    He just wants me to use it this week, once the horse gets the idea I won't be using it. He's trying to teach him to give to pressure, and Ace sometimes has a problem with flipping his head high or bracing. Our work yesterday really helped soften him and keep him soft. Trust me, I'm not all for gadgets and forcing things, but I think this can be a good thing for teaching him to give, just at the beginning while he is learning.
         
        07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
      #4
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howrsegirl123    
    He just wants me to use it this week, once the horse gets the idea I won't be using it. He's trying to teach him to give to pressure, and Ace sometimes has a problem with flipping his head high or bracing. Our work yesterday really helped soften him and keep him soft. Trust me, I'm not all for gadgets and forcing things, but I think this can be a good thing for teaching him to give, just at the beginning while he is learning.
    But sweetie the flipping of his head and bracing are signs your horse doesn't accept contact. What good will it do to the horse if you force the horse into contact via the use of a martingale?

    He will never "give" if you force him. You have to work with him. This means not pulling back but shortening the rein to where you can sit comfortably and not be yanking on his face. Then you ride the horse into your hands. When he shows any signs of relaxing, you give a little (which doesn't mean closing your fingers or pulling back, but pressing your hands forward. When he begins to brace again, you ride him into your fingers and then give when he relaxes. Leg is always on.

    You ride the body of the horse, not the head. Just because the head is flexed doesn't mean the horse is giving.
         
        07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
      #5
    Started
    That is what he's having me do. He says that whenever he braces or raises his head I need to push him forward and soften his face. He explained it all to me, riding him from behind into your hands. But the horse has to soften his face too.
         
        07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Don't worry howrsegirl, I ride a horse who on my first lesson, he didn't wear a martingale, and he was being super stong and tossing his head. This was about a year ago. Since then, I've ridden him with a martingale every time, and he is still strong, but I at have control over his head. For skyseternalangel, he has learned to soften up, and when he does, I reward him, however, I find that the martingale was and is essential. Good luck with your horse howrsegirl!
    howrsegirl123 likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    looking for trainer/lesson for MFT in central Tx lvmyhorses Horse Trainers 3 07-15-2013 03:22 PM
    Had a lesson with a Dressage trainer...ouch! COWCHICK77 Horse Riding 10 04-03-2013 09:36 PM
    Great First Lesson with New Trainer! shaggy Horse Talk 2 01-25-2013 01:56 PM
    Trainer doesn't have a lesson horse? Tessa7707 English Riding 22 10-08-2012 05:01 AM
    Had my 1st lesson with new trainer :) My Beau Dressage 7 11-21-2010 10:49 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0