Flapping legs in canter?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Flapping legs in canter?

This is a discussion on Flapping legs in canter? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How to stop flapping horse riding
  • How to hold legs english horse riding

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
  #1
Foal
Question Flapping legs in canter?

So in my lesson this weekend my instructor pointed out that when in the canter my legs flap about, normally just my inside leg. She pulled me in and shortened my stirrups quite a bit and this defiantly helped. She thinks that it could be a confidence thing, i'm not always a confident rider and in that lesson it was super windy and the horse I ride really doesn't do great in the wind, anything spooks him and he took off a few times in that lesson.

Is there anything I can do other than shortening my stirrups which will stop my leg flapping about, once she shortened my stirrups it pretty much stopped but I was just wondering if theres anything else I can do which will help, or is it a confidence thing?

Thanks :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #2
Weanling
Have you tried leaning slightly back and pushing your heels down farther? This will help secure your position. You'll also be in a safer position should your horse spook.
SamBadger likes this.
     
    01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaphyJaphy    
Have you tried leaning slightly back and pushing your heels down farther? This will help secure your position. You'll also be in a safer position should your horse spook.
My heels are generally quite good but i'll try leaning back a bit and seeing if that helps, thank you
     
    01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBadger    
My heels are generally quite good but i'll try leaning back a bit and seeing if that helps, thank you
It seems almost counter-intuitive, I know, but it does make you more secure. Hope it helps!
     
    01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
  #5
Yearling
For me, when I get really really excited at a canter, both my arms and legs flap about like I'm trying to fly with my horse attached.

I tend to do as the above said, put my heels down and put more weight in my bum so I don't get the urge to play pilot.
     
    01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
  #6
Weanling
I used to hold my breath because canter seemed so fast compared to trot! Haha
star16 and tcvhorse like this.
     
    01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
  #7
Started
Its not just making sure that your heels are down, but more stretching down through the back of your leg and distributing your weight more throughout your legs.
Kayty and SamBadger like this.
     
    01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBadger    
So in my lesson this weekend my instructor pointed out that when in the canter my legs flap about, normally just my inside leg. She pulled me in and shortened my stirrups quite a bit and this defiantly helped. She thinks that it could be a confidence thing, i'm not always a confident rider and in that lesson it was super windy and the horse I ride really doesn't do great in the wind, anything spooks him and he took off a few times in that lesson.

Is there anything I can do other than shortening my stirrups which will stop my leg flapping about, once she shortened my stirrups it pretty much stopped but I was just wondering if theres anything else I can do which will help, or is it a confidence thing?

Thanks :)
Do not just shorten your stirrups. Your problem lies in where your weight is distributed. You need to spend some time in two point at the walk and the trot. Make sure you aren't leaning on your hands either.

Also you may be bracing or pinching with your knees or other lower extremities which causes you to bounce around and your legs to go all over the place. Stretch your legs down with your toes pointing up and straight ahead (not out like a penguin) and that will automatically bring your leg ON the horse, instead of miles away.

There are quite a few reasons for 'flappy' legs at the canter. You'll get it. Remember to breathe though :) Try to enjoy it, instead of fear it. I used to hate cantering but now I love it and have gotten better. You could always ask someone 'certified' to lunge you and practice these techniques at w/t and canter.

Best of luck; it's definitely a process

Watch this video too. It'll help further :)

SamBadger likes this.
     
    01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetrain17    
Its not just making sure that your heels are down, but more stretching down through the back of your leg and distributing your weight more throughout your legs.
Excellent point!
     
    01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
  #10
Foal
Thanks for all the help everyone and i'll defiantly take on your suggestions. I used to have a really bad fear of the canter after a fall and getting trodden on, i've been learning it for about a year now and am a lot more confident, I think I probably grip with my knees, especially in that lesson when my horse was acting up a bit, out of fear and that causes my legs to swing. I need to remember to just breathe and know that i'm fine. Thanks again
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
legs up when eating, switches legs LetAGrlShowU Horse Health 11 06-03-2011 09:46 AM
Ughhh, I can't stop flapping like a bird!! Hidalgo13 Horse Riding Critique 24 05-23-2011 09:48 AM
Few Q's, and lip flapping? twogeldings Horse Training 3 07-13-2010 09:36 PM
stiff hips/legs during canter nirvana Horse Riding 8 02-21-2010 07:18 PM
Back legs off at a canter? wren Horse Health 9 12-15-2009 09:33 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0