Honest Critiques on my Equitation - The Horse Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Exclamation Honest Critiques on my Equitation

Ok so this is going to be a rather short description. I am 13 years old, I have been riding for 8 years and I have a 16 year old quarter horse gelding and hopefully a new Dutch warmblood. I want honest critiques on my equitation. If you want to see my most recent video of me riding then please go to YouTube and type in t1mmycak3s finnegan.

Thank you for replying and I will answer any questions.
finn113 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,634
• Horses: 2
Here's your video so nobody has to go to looking for it :) :

jumanji321 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji321 View Post
Here's your video so nobody has to go to looking for it :) :

Finnegan!!! - YouTube
Thank you, what did you think?
finn113 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 38,062
• Horses: 2
first of all, for a critique film, bag the special effects. If it's possible, show yourself doing several gaits and several transitions.

From what you have shown, which is almost only solid trotting, I can say "not bad!"
You are pretty solid and post nicely. You would be best to roll your pelvis a bit more under you (tipping the pubic bone more forward, less downward onto the saddle) . You have too much roll in yoiur lower back. Your left leg is really solid , but the right is a wee bit more forward and rolled out overly much. Minor things.

I think you have a lot of potential and the horse seems a pretty good match. At the brief canter shot, it looked like you got caught be surprise and kind of shut him down all of a sudden, but not totally sure on that because it was such a brief shot.
finn113 likes this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
first of all, for a critique film, bag the special effects. If it's possible, show yourself doing several gaits and several transitions.

From what you have shown, which is almost only solid trotting, I can say "not bad!"
You are pretty solid and post nicely. You would be best to roll your pelvis a bit more under you (tipping the pubic bone more forward, less downward onto the saddle) . You have too much roll in yoiur lower back. Your left leg is really solid , but the right is a wee bit more forward and rolled out overly much. Minor things.

I think you have a lot of potential and the horse seems a pretty good match. At the brief canter shot, it looked like you got caught be surprise and kind of shut him down all of a sudden, but not totally sure on that because it was such a brief shot.
Thank you sooooo much, you are the first person to give critiques but be nice at the same time. I will definitely take your advice into consideration. Haha and for the canter shot, he went into a canter when I didn't ask him to so I brought him back down. But I can definitely tell you honestly that his canter is amazing! And I put the special effects in because it was supposed to be a fun YouTube video lol and thank you soo much for telling me Finn is a good match, most people think he is too much for me....sooo thanx and the reason for the lack of transitions and gaits is mainly because it was a test ride and I just wanted to take it slow and get used to him. :)

Thank you again!!!
finn113 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Thanks to everyone who replied!!

Cash&Finnegan
If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong-Pat Parelli
finn113 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 5,695
• Horses: 3
I think you guys look like a good pair

Gypsy & Scout <3
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein
gypsygirl is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
i think you guys look like a good pair
Thanks

Cash&Finnegan
If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong-Pat Parelli
finn113 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 553
• Horses: 2
You look pretty good from what I can see in the video. I agree with tinyliny about your seat. I think of it like tucking your butt under you so you have a flat back instead of an arched back. Also, keep your elbows where they can be used. At some points your elbows came back past your hip. Your elbow should stay anchored at your hip,but allow movement up and down (which you did). If you were trying to whoa- remember to whoa with your seat and half halt, but not pull back with your elbows. Lastly- at the short little canter part, remember to keep your upper body from rocking too much. Your seat should move with the horse- not your shoulders. Tucking your butt under you will help this because you won't be so stiff in your back.

From your other threads, I know this is a video of when you tried him. When I was trying horses, I would look back at the videos and be shocked at how stiff I was. I think it's mostly because you are trying a new horse, in front of new people (and you want them to think you are good enough for their horse!). Also, for me, I was just so excited and happy to be trying a horse that I would tense up LOL..
You guys look really good apart form those things! Your lower leg is nice and still and you look balance in the turns (I always lean one way or the other..)
Ashsunnyeventer is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Umm...at the barn
Posts: 338
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsunnyeventer View Post
You look pretty good from what I can see in the video. I agree with tinyliny about your seat. I think of it like tucking your butt under you so you have a flat back instead of an arched back. Also, keep your elbows where they can be used. At some points your elbows came back past your hip. Your elbow should stay anchored at your hip,but allow movement up and down (which you did). If you were trying to whoa- remember to whoa with your seat and half halt, but not pull back with your elbows. Lastly- at the short little canter part, remember to keep your upper body from rocking too much. Your seat should move with the horse- not your shoulders. Tucking your butt under you will help this because you won't be so stiff in your back.

From your other threads, I know this is a video of when you tried him. When I was trying horses, I would look back at the videos and be shocked at how stiff I was. I think it's mostly because you are trying a new horse, in front of new people (and you want them to think you are good enough for their horse!). Also, for me, I was just so excited and happy to be trying a horse that I would tense up LOL..
You guys look really good apart form those things! Your lower leg is nice and still and you look balance in the turns (I always lean one way or the other..)
Thank you, I will definitely work on tucking my butt under lol

Cash&Finnegan
If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong-Pat Parelli
finn113 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honest critiques wanted! :) sarahkgamble Horse Riding Critique 31 11-14-2011 07:24 PM
Looking for critiques! dunalino Horse Artwork 12 09-17-2011 05:07 PM
Critiques please please :) shanoona Horse Riding Critique 9 06-23-2010 05:14 PM
A question...critiques/equitation vs. "trainers" Jamie Anne Horse Talk 10 08-04-2008 12:46 PM
jumping vid honest critiques plz rachealwatkins Horse Riding Critique 2 04-05-2008 05:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome