Hunters -opinions? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
View Poll Results: Like or dislike huntters?
Like 12 80.00%
Dislike 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,220
• Horses: 0
Just curious, why are you a 'forced' hunter?
upnover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hell OH
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
If I wanted to ride, it would have to be hunters. I live in Cleveland and there are no other disciplines that have even mediocre facilities within an hour of where we live. I could show jumpers if I wanted but I couldn't school it as all of the trainers have minimal knowledge. And they'd get annoyed if I reset the course for every lesson.

Someone did find me a western lesson barn nearby. I was so shocked! unfortunately my horse isn't trained western and I actually love my horse more than riding. At least I can take lessons there though

~Claire, the frog in the desert
flywithoutwings is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 989
• Horses: 2
I learned to jump in jumpers. As soon as I realized that hunters was based on opinion rather than performance...I avoided it at all costs. I know it has gotten better with the new scoring system...but still to much politics for me to bother with. Plus it seemed a bit repetitive...outside, diagonal, outside diagonal. Eegh not my thing...but to each his own.

I think the new "derby" format is a bid to actually get hunters on the international scene more. We will see if it works or not.

Plus I live in Texas. In hunters you have to get all foo-fooed up with the expensive, HOT jackets. In jumpers I can wear the polos.
hotreddun is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hell OH
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreddun
I learned to jump in jumpers. As soon as I realized that hunters was based on opinion rather than performance...I avoided it at all costs. I know it has gotten better with the new scoring system...but still to much politics for me to bother with. Plus it seemed a bit repetitive...outside, diagonal, outside diagonal. Eegh not my thing...but to each his own.

I think the new "derby" format is a bid to actually get hunters on the international scene more. We will see if it works or not.

Plus I live in Texas. In hunters you have to get all foo-fooed up with the expensive, HOT jackets. In jumpers I can wear the polos.
exactly...

~Claire, the frog in the desert
flywithoutwings is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithoutwings
If I wanted to ride, it would have to be hunters. I live in Cleveland and there are no other disciplines that have even mediocre facilities within an hour of where we live. I could show jumpers if I wanted but I couldn't school it as all of the trainers have minimal knowledge. And they'd get annoyed if I reset the course for every lesson.

Someone did find me a western lesson barn nearby. I was so shocked! unfortunately my horse isn't trained western and I actually love my horse more than riding. At least I can take lessons there though
Most hunter trainers also do eq since they always have hunter and eq at the same shows, does that interest you at all?
Supermane is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hell OH
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
eh, it's a little better but eq. is usually only one or two classes a day at the shows so it isn't the focus in lessons (i mean equitation is certainly critiqued but we don't do 'eq' courses). And, basically, its hunters but they are looking at you and not the horse. It can be fun but my horse isn't a good eq ride and when your barn mates own four horses specialized to coast through different disciplines, there isn't much of a prayer for me at any level above where I'm at (at which I currently get top three ribbons 60% of the time). It's rewarding, though, when people you don't know clap for you after eq, during hunters, they clap for the horse but in eq, they are clapping for you - a nice self-esteem boost

~Claire, the frog in the desert
flywithoutwings is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithoutwings
eh, it's a little better but eq. is usually only one or two classes a day at the shows so it isn't the focus in lessons (i mean equitation is certainly critiqued but we don't do 'eq' courses). And, basically, its hunters but they are looking at you and not the horse. It can be fun but my horse isn't a good eq ride and when your barn mates own four horses specialized to coast through different disciplines, there isn't much of a prayer for me at any level above where I'm at (at which I currently get top three ribbons 60% of the time). It's rewarding, though, when people you don't know clap for you after eq, during hunters, they clap for the horse but in eq, they are clapping for you - a nice self-esteem boost
Eq and hunter is split about half and half at most of the shows I've been too. I think eq is much different that hunters, except at the very low level (mini stirrups, short stirrups, long stirrups). My friend bought an ex-Maclay so I know what you mean about horse being able to coast, but you still have to be able to execute the the rollback and long/short strided lines correctly. Ask your trainer to practice equitation courses, I'm sure they'd be willing to do it. I do hunters primarily, but my trainer makes us do eq courses all the time to keep the horses on their feet and listening to our aids.

That being said, I don't know of any hunter trainers in my area that don't have both equitation and hunter riders...
Supermane is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hell OH
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
basically, everyone does both but focuses on hunters because that's where you get prizes and, and, well, actually I have no clue why - but they do. Most of the people i ride with (and I like to include myself in this category) are good riders who can ride an equitation course. On the flat we practice a lot of equitation stuff and if we ask we can throw rollbacks into courses or ask for an off number of strides in a line. It's just that they never set broken lines or bounces. The horses are all so good (and pricey!) that on show day they handle it in stride (sorry for the pun) after a morning tune up that reflects the course they will jump.
I guess I value effectiveness over look. Here the look they want sacrifices effectiveness.

~Claire, the frog in the desert
flywithoutwings is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
• Horses: 7
I love hunters. It just gives riders such a wonderful foundation. Plus, I don't think the atmosphere is what every one makes it out to be. I enjoy it!
hunterequlover781 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: hell OH
Posts: 109
• Horses: 0
it does vary a lot state-to-state and all
One of the shows I saw in Colorado favored the horses who literally had their noses maybe a foot above the ground, weirdest thing I ever saw...

~Claire, the frog in the desert
flywithoutwings is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome