Mane - cutting or braiding - at what level? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Mane - cutting or braiding - at what level?

This is a discussion on Mane - cutting or braiding - at what level? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Sedating a horse to pull its mane

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
  #11
Green Broke
Never cut a mane it looks awful and is difficult to plait afterwards. Always pull a mane properly.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
  #12
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
never cut a mane it looks awful and is difficult to plait afterwards. Always pull a mane properly.
Not every horse tolerates the mane being pulled. I use the combination of solocomb + scissors + pulling comb on my qh because pulling simply doesn't work on her. My neighbor (and she's a dressage rider with years of showing experience) can't pull on her old horse either, while her pony and OTTB are OK about it.
     
    05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
  #13
Green Broke
I would rather sedate a horse and pull a mane rather then use sissors.
     
    05-26-2011, 12:03 PM
  #14
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
I would rather sedate a horse and pull a mane rather then use sissors.
I think it depends on how you do it. I tried once and should admit it looked bad (that's why I got solocomb instead). But my neighbor's work looks very nice and natural (she has more patient too to cut hair-by-hair straight up through whole mane ).
     
    05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Problem with cutting the mane is when you come to plait it you end up with short spikey bits popping out of your plaits and making life difficult. Yes I've tried a solocomb and on manes that don't have to be plaited they do a very good job, but not ones that have to be plaited.

I am absolutly obsessive about my lots plaits and can't stand stray hairs popping out of them.
     
    05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
  #16
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
I am absolutly obsessive about my lots plaits and can't stand stray hairs popping out of them.
Dumb question then.. What is "plaits"? It's not the same as those button braids, is it?
     
    05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Yep, in the uk they are not called braids they are called plaits.
     
    05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
  #18
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
yep, in the uk they are not called braids they are called plaits.
How interesting! Well, I going to practice this weekend so will see how neat I'll be able to make those plaits/braids on my solocomb-cut qh!
     
    05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
I would rather sedate a horse and pull a mane rather then use sissors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye    
Problem with cutting the mane is when you come to plait it you end up with short spikey bits popping out of your plaits and making life difficult. Yes I've tried a solocomb and on manes that don't have to be plaited they do a very good job, but not ones that have to be plaited.

I am absolutly obsessive about my lots plaits and can't stand stray hairs popping out of them.
Totally, completely, 150000% agree!

I pull to the thinness desired, which also shortens to a point, then use a mane master to get the correct length (a little more than an handspan, I would say) and it works so, so well. And if a horse doesn't like to stand and have its mane pulled, then I do it in shorter sessions over several days. Eventually they get used to it. If they're REALLY bad about it at first (rearing, etc.) they get a small amount of sedation and a positive experience, then they get to try again without sedation the next time. It's just another training process that all horses should go through.
     
    05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
  #20
Started
Can you pull a mane that is long? For example that covers the neck or almost?
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Braiding the Mane ScharmLily Horse Grooming 8 03-02-2011 01:29 PM
Mane Braiding. EquestrianHollywood Horse Grooming 4 12-12-2009 07:25 PM
mane braiding ? gypsygirl Horse Grooming 44 11-13-2009 05:52 PM
braiding the mane apachegirl5 Horse Grooming 15 07-18-2009 11:46 AM
cutting mane bgood400 Horse Grooming 22 03-13-2009 10:49 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0