Is my saddle to small for me? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Is my saddle to small for me?

This is a discussion on Is my saddle to small for me? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How do i know when my saddle needs restuffing
  • Order a saddle from viva-iberica

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
  #11
Weanling
From what I can see that saddle is sitting downhill. This places more pressure on the horses withers and comprimises the rider's balance because the seat is tipped forward.

Why does the horse have two saddle-pads? A regular saddle pad is not ment to be used as a cushion or aide wit the fit of a saddle, it is ment to prevent chafing, absorb sweat, and keep the saddle clean.

As for saddle fitters, here is one, also if there are any tack shops near, you can probably find one by asking there.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
  #12
Weanling
I would lower the stirrup by one hole but the saddle does look like it is throwing you forward, it looks more like a jumping saddle than a gp saddle, get it checked out by a professional and see what they say, ever think of going treeless, so comfy
     
    10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
  #13
Foal
I think it looks okay.
You have to remember that if your are going to go bigger that it doesn't go so far or it'll press on the horses ovaries (I'm assuming the horse is a mare).
Treeless sucks IMO. It feels like your going to fall off all the time, literally every movement of the horse is amplified in the saddle, it's irrtating and overall throws you off balance sometimes.

Looks like a GP to me. Most GP's are different, I have one that's alot like yours and has big knee rolls but I have another that's a WHP/GP and it has like no knee rolls on it.
     
    10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
  #14
Foal
Looks great!! Oh and by the way your horse is very cute!
     
    10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Lucy
The photos are 3 X 1milli second images of a moving object and you ask for comment. It is not really fair on you or the viewers to do a critique.

Herewith 4 web sites which will give you information as to how an English saddle works and how to fit it.
Look up www.wowsaddles.com
www.viva-iberica.com (look for English translation.)
www.fnesaddles.com
www.sustainabledressage.net/tack/saddle.php
Spend an hour or so reading what these saddle experts say.

From my inexperienced eye - and I am not an expert saddle fitter - your saddle needs to be checked out by a professional. I personally wonder if it is sitting level and it may be throwing your seating posture out. In two of the photos you are leaning forwards with your weight in the stirrup irons. But how can I possibly tell from a photo?

Lucy nothing replaces the expertise of a trained & experienced saddle fitter. Find one or at least find an old, well experienced english rider.
Barry G
Thank you for all of the sites I don't have a lot of time so I just scanned them but I will check them out when I have a more time, but from looking at your sites and reading your post I think you were thinking I was asking for you to tell me if the saddle fit my horse? I just wanted to know if the saddle was to small for me.

I know the saddle doesn't fit her but it has a convertible gullet and it needs to be reflocked BUT I didn't want to put all that effort into a saddle that doesn't fit me. It may turn out that even if the saddle is reflocked and I got a different sized gullet it still won't fit her, I will get another that will fit her.

I have also called at least 4 saddle fitters and not one has called me back :/ so I am slightly frustrated right now.

Quote:
From what I can see that saddle is sitting downhill. This places more pressure on the horses withers and comprimises the rider's balance because the seat is tipped forward.

Why does the horse have two saddle-pads? A regular saddle pad is not ment to be used as a cushion or aide wit the fit of a saddle, it is ment to prevent chafing, absorb sweat, and keep the saddle clean.

As for saddle fitters, here is one, also if there are any tack shops near, you can probably find one by asking there.
I also felt that the saddle was sitting downhill but I am no expert (and yes I have been trying to get hold of one lol).

The two saddle pads was something I did only twice, I did not realize at the time that it would mess with the saddle fit. I know now and I have not done it since.

I have already tried calling her and left a message but she has not gotten back with me yet :/

Quote:
i would lower the stirrup by one hole but the saddle does look like it is throwing you forward, it looks more like a jumping saddle than a gp saddle, get it checked out by a professional and see what they say, ever think of going treeless, so comfy
Lower it for jumping length? It is a jumping saddle or a close contact I can't remember which one, I find it almost impossible to get out of a gp saddle when jumping (at least on my horse)

I actually have never thought about a treeless saddle, I will see what the saddle fitter says when he/she comes out.

Quote:
think it looks okay.
You have to remember that if your are going to go bigger that it doesn't go so far or it'll press on the horses ovaries (I'm assuming the horse is a mare).
Treeless sucks IMO. It feels like your going to fall off all the time, literally every movement of the horse is amplified in the saddle, it's irrtating and overall throws you off balance sometimes.

Looks like a GP to me. Most GP's are different, I have one that's alot like yours and has big knee rolls but I have another that's a WHP/GP and it has like no knee rolls on it.
And I thought it would be easy to find a saddle to fit her lol silly me, I will keep that in mind about the treeless saddle thanks :)

Thanks everyone :)
     
    10-21-2009, 04:52 AM
  #16
Started
Treeless might be a solution but check that you aren't too heavy - originally they had a weight limit for the rider.

Lucy - finding the right saddle even in the UK where there are loads of registered saddle fitters is a night mare but it is worth the time and effort to try to make sure you get the right fit and pattern. The saddle affects not only the horse's back but also your position on the saddle.

Trouble is that as and when the horse's back muscles up - so the saddle needs re-stuffing - but at least you don't have to buy a new saddle.

Read about "cair" on the WoW web site.

Barry G
     
    10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Looks great!! Oh and by the way your horse is very cute!
__________________
I didn't see that post....Thank you ^.^


Quote:
Treeless might be a solution but check that you aren't too heavy - originally they had a weight limit for the rider.

Lucy - finding the right saddle even in the UK where there are loads of registered saddle fitters is a night mare but it is worth the time and effort to try to make sure you get the right fit and pattern. The saddle affects not only the horse's back but also your position on the saddle.

Trouble is that as and when the horse's back muscles up - so the saddle needs re-stuffing - but at least you don't have to buy a new saddle.

Read about "cair" on the WoW web site.

Barry G
Thank you for all of the info, I just set up an appointment with a saddle fitter for tomorrow morning! So I will ask her what she thinks I need.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pony too small for me? Equuestriaan Jumping 30 05-01-2009 08:05 AM
How small can I go....?? booner Barn Maintenance 7 02-22-2009 01:42 PM
Small Collegiate Close Contact Saddle and Tall Boots for Skinny Legs PoohLP Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 02-02-2009 08:59 PM
Is the saddle too small? Sliding4ever Horse Tack and Equipment 10 06-14-2008 10:28 PM
SMALL ACERAGE?? cory-boy Horse Training 7 10-30-2007 02:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0