New saddle advice!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

New saddle advice!

This is a discussion on New saddle advice! within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Antares vs. pessoa saddles
  • Pessoa legacy vs antares

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  #1
Weanling
New saddle advice!

Im looking to buy a new saddle. I show AQHA so I don't want something with a real forward flap. I want a really nice quality made saddle. I have been considering the Spooner by Antares or the Pessoa Legacy XP3 XCH. Does anyone have one of these saddles? What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
  #2
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood400    
Im looking to buy a new saddle. I show AQHA so I don't want something with a real forward flap. I want a really nice quality made saddle. I have been considering the Spooner by Antares or the Pessoa Legacy XP3 XCH. Does anyone have one of these saddles? What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks!
I don't have either of those saddles so can't comment on those...
You're showing AQHA, so I assume you'll be doing Hunter/hunt seat on flats, hunter equitation, and not jumping, then?
So you're probably looking for a well-balanced A/P saddle? Are you looking new or used, and how much are you willing to spend?
If we know those things, someone may be able to suggest some other models as well, if they're not familiar with the ones you mentioned.
     
    01-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by freia    
I don't have either of those saddles so can't comment on those...
You're showing AQHA, so I assume you'll be doing Hunter/hunt seat on flats, hunter equitation, and not jumping, then?
So you're probably looking for a well-balanced A/P saddle? Are you looking new or used, and how much are you willing to spend?
If we know those things, someone may be able to suggest some other models as well, if they're not familiar with the ones you mentioned.
I want a CC saddle. I'm not going to be jumping in it, that is just what everyone is using. I am willing so spend up to $3000 for saddle, stirrup leathers and girth. I will consider both new and used saddles!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
  #4
Weanling
If you want a close contact saddle, try an HDR (Henri De Rivel). They're super comfortable and fit almost anything and they're not terribly expensive either. I got mine used for $500 and it's still in great condition. I use a thick-ish fleecework sheepskin pad under it and still feel close contact. Here's what mine looks like (it's a 16.5 inch).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ride1.jpg (45.3 KB, 60 views)
     
    01-12-2013, 11:40 AM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustImagine    
If you want a close contact saddle, try an HDR (Henri De Rivel). They're super comfortable and fit almost anything and they're not terribly expensive either. I got mine used for $500 and it's still in great condition. I use a thick-ish fleecework sheepskin pad under it and still feel close contact. Here's what mine looks like (it's a 16.5 inch).
I want something that is grippy, and will help hold me in position. Will a HDR do that?
     
    01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
  #6
Green Broke
If you're willing to spend $3,000 for a saddle id avoid the HDR. It's not a terrible saddle for the price (although certain models are) but shell out the money for quality if you're got it. The spooner I think has a fairly forward flap. Antares is a fantastic brand though. Try their hampton classic. That's their more basic non custom model and I believe you can get one new for close to your budget. If you want something super grippy go for calfskin or buffalo. Those are definitely more (4-5000 new) but you can find one used in your range. The calfskin is beautiful and the buffalo is very very durable. Also check out Devoucoux, Delgrange, CWD, or butet (by beval) for other quality brands.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle pad advice? Peckels Horse Tack and Equipment 4 08-15-2012 12:17 PM
Need advice on best saddle pad sageladysong Horse Tack and Equipment 3 01-09-2012 08:37 PM
Saddle advice for my TWH snoggle Horse Tack and Equipment 12 03-18-2010 02:31 PM
Advice on a jumping saddle? + Saddle fit jmagdavidson Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-05-2009 07:05 AM
'Saddle' advice firebird96ta Draft Horses 2 02-28-2009 07:31 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0