Showing dressage in winter - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Showing dressage in winter

This is a discussion on Showing dressage in winter within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Kep hats for dressage
  • Dressge kep riding helmets customized

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
  #11
Showing
BTW, thanks for all suggestions, folks! Somehow I didn't think about underarmour (because I just ride in thick pants and jacket from Walmart in winter, not cute, but keep me warm :) ).
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
What kind of helmet do you have?
As I said in my last post, I have a Kep.

It's an Italian helmet and they aren't cheap. I got sick of having a crappy helmet so I bought this one from a tack store by my coach because they are light, have changable/machine washable liners and are vented really nicely. Plus I could get the whole thing custom, I refrained from the swarovski crystals but I did get a custom cream coloured one with the chrome vent. I can't find the winter liners online at first glance.... But here's a website!
riding hats helmets | kep hats uk | personalised with swarovski crystals leather
     
    12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
  #13
Trained
The coldest show I've ridden in so far is when it was -20*C (-4*F) and I swear it was colder IN the arena than it was out Dress code, formal..I have no pics but can link you to a video if you like!

Order of the day, Granny pants, sports bra, full length silk underwear top and bottom, thin socks, then wooly socks, thick warm breeches. Thin T shirt then roll neck fleece jumper on top of that, our secret weapon



Covers a multitude of thick garments, then black wool jacket over the top. Winter gloves, hat and boots and off you go, ride test and quickly get all the top layers back on
     
    12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
  #14
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
The coldest show I've ridden in so far is when it was -20*C (-4*F) and I swear it was colder IN the arena than it was out Dress code, formal..I have no pics but can link you to a video if you like!
Geez, GH, I'd pass out BEFORE the test in such a cold! (but I agree in winter riding outside (when there is no wind) feels more warm than inside). I'd love to see the video!
     
    12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
  #15
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
As I said in my last post, I have a Kep.

It's an Italian helmet and they aren't cheap. I got sick of having a crappy helmet so I bought this one from a tack store by my coach because they are light, have changable/machine washable liners and are vented really nicely. Plus I could get the whole thing custom, I refrained from the swarovski crystals but I did get a custom cream coloured one with the chrome vent. I can't find the winter liners online at first glance.... But here's a website!
riding hats helmets | kep hats uk | personalised with swarovski crystals leather
Oh, Kep was a brand. I didn't get it. Haha. I going to check it out, but I have problems fitting helmets on, so quite stuck to whatever local we have (so I can try every single one).
     
    12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
  #16
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Geez, GH, I'd pass out BEFORE the test in such a cold! (but I agree in winter riding outside (when there is no wind) feels more warm than inside). I'd love to see the video!

Here you go, poor Fancy's first ever test, you don't need to watch it all, just the (horrible, embarrassing, ghastly) entry, halt and proceed, you can tell the temp by the steam clouds that she is putting out

     
    12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
  #17
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Oh, Kep was a brand. I didn't get it. Haha. I going to check it out, but I have problems fitting helmets on, so quite stuck to whatever local we have (so I can try every single one).
The sizing is actually done with the liners... so if you order one and it doesnt fit - you just change out the liner.

It's the first helmet that doesn't give me migranes. Ball caps give me migranes. It fits really well!! If you can find one locally to try on and it fits it is definitely worth the outlandish price to get one - just don't fall off with it on hahahaha!!
     
    12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
  #18
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
Here you go, poor Fancy's first ever test, you don't need to watch it all, just the (horrible, embarrassing, ghastly) entry, halt and proceed, you can tell the temp by the steam clouds that she is putting out
Wow! You are dressed up very formal indeed - I'm impressed! I may try same outfit (with bunch of layers), but I'm afraid I'll end up with the informal one anyway (for my own comfort). :)
     
    12-12-2011, 06:10 PM
  #19
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
just don't fall off with it on hahahaha!!
Yeah, that can be a real problem though!
     
    12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
  #20
Weanling
Kitten_val--- if you find a system, please share. I'm in the same situation. I went to watch a schooling show just to see what they wore and how it went.

The popular combo was a heavy, but fitted black or dark coat, turtle neck, Iridon winter breeches with a layer of silks under all that. The whole place was a walking catelog for Mountain horse boots. =) Ear muffs seemed to be accepted.
Same setup, warmup outside (on the top of a hill of all windy places), test in the blasted cold indoor.

Here's to icicle dressage tests.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Ready for winter Our 1st dressage show! Klassic Superstar Dressage 4 10-01-2011 05:19 PM
Basics of showing dressage MethowHorses25 Dressage 2 04-13-2011 08:20 AM
Winter coats and showing? SorrelHorse Horse Grooming 3 04-12-2011 08:37 PM
grooming for showing although not showing moorland Horse Grooming 3 02-18-2011 03:19 AM
winter dressage series in PA? MudPaint Horse Shows 0 10-02-2010 08:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0