Tall boots question.... - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Tall boots question....

This is a discussion on Tall boots question.... within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
      #11
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
    The farm I ride at, it's a requirement to ride in tall boots.
    Why?? I'd think paddock boots are not worse for every day rides (just not as comfortable).
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    Why?? I'd think paddock boots are not worse for every day rides (just not as comfortable).
    I ride sale horses, and if someone comes to look at a horse everyone looks professional, and more put together. It's kind of like when you go on a job interview, you should dress the part. It just makes the farm look good.
         
        05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
      #13
    Banned
    You just polish them up to look good for shows.

    When I was showing I wore the same tall boots for lessons and schooling as I showed in.
         
        05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
    I ride sale horses, and if someone comes to look at a horse everyone looks professional, and more put together. It's kind of like when you go on a job interview, you should dress the part. It just makes the farm look good.
    Is it common for your barn to have people drop in unexpectedly to shop for horses? We have quite a few sale horses at our barn but people only come by appointment only. I make sure to look professional when that time comes but otherwise I'm in half chaps.

    I have a separate pair of boots for showing. My paddock boots are the $200 Ariat Cobalt Devons or whatever and I wear them out in a year's time! I can't afford to replace my tall boots that often! They're calfskin and wear out much faster.
         
        05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by upnover    
    Is it common for your barn to have people drop in unexpectedly to shop for horses? We have quite a few sale horses at our barn but people only come by appointment only.
    The farm is all sale horses..there are people and horses in and out of there a lot. It's the owners rule..the horses also have to look their best all the time. (except when they're out in the field rolling in the mud a million times).
         
        05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
      #16
    Foal
    What I did back in the day was wear 1/2 chaps and paddocks for most all of my rides and saved my tall boots until it was about 2 weeks (3-4 rides) before a big show. That way they didn't feel weird when I was showing in them, and I didn't add too much wear and tear to the boots.

    Eventually I just sucked it up and bought a nicer pair of boots for showing only and relegated my old boots to practice boots.
         
        05-11-2011, 09:35 AM
      #17
    Showing
    Folks, are the half chaps are similar to tall boots? I'm thinking if I should get those (as they are much cheaper).
         
        05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
      #18
    Banned
    If you're going to wear your show boots for schooling and practice, invest in the $15 or so boot galoshes, the little rubber slippers you put on over the foot of the boot. Put them on as soon as you dismount. I used to keep them on my boots at shows and not pull them off until I mounted. IME, most of the wear is on the shoe portion of the boot from walking around in them.

    Wearing out the calves of tall boots is more likely if they're unlined or 3/4 lined; you have to balance the desire for the sleek look with the longevity. Kitten val, if you've purchased dressge style tall boots, they are usually fully lined and a little stiffer than a hunter style boot. Also, riding in a dressage seat, you don't get the constant wear of the stirrup leather against the boot like you do riding in two point, so you should not have to worry about wearing holes in the calves.
         
        05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
      #19
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    If you're going to wear your show boots for schooling and practice, invest in the $15 or so boot galoshes, the little rubber slippers you put on over the foot of the boot. Put them on as soon as you dismount. I used to keep them on my boots at shows and not pull them off until I mounted. IME, most of the wear is on the shoe portion of the boot from walking around in them.

    Wearing out the calves of tall boots is more likely if they're unlined or 3/4 lined; you have to balance the desire for the sleek look with the longevity. Kitten val, if you've purchased dressge style tall boots, they are usually fully lined and a little stiffer than a hunter style boot. Also, riding in a dressage seat, you don't get the constant wear of the stirrup leather against the boot like you do riding in two point, so you should not have to worry about wearing holes in the calves.
    Thank you, maura! Actually I take the boots off right when I get off and switch to my cheap rubber boots exactly for that reason: dirt, horse can step on, etc.

    But I'm seriously thinking if I have to invest in half-chaps instead...
         
        05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
      #20
    Yearling
    I have a cheaper pair of Devon Aire tall boots (I think they ran me around $180 new) that I use for schooling and a nice pair of Ariats that I use for shows.
    The story behind that is... I bought the DA boots for showing (and that's it) the first year I showed. Last year I bought a synthetic pair of Saxon field boots and after a few rides, the zippers both broke. (I do not recommend Saxon boots anymore- their older boots may still be good, but more recently made ones are terrible quality- a few riders at my barn had the same experience) Finally I decided to save my money and purchase super nice Ariats (luckily on sale) and use my Devon Aire ones for schooling. Quite frankly, I LOVE my Devon Aires. They were decently priced (for leather boots) and have lasted me quite a few years, and hopefully at least a couple more.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I need new tall boots! Quixotic English Riding 18 06-19-2011 06:49 PM
    tall boots jumper444 English Riding 9 03-17-2011 04:58 PM
    Tall Boots Question wordstoasong Horse Tack and Equipment 5 11-07-2009 08:38 PM
    New tall boots? ox-tuff_rider-xo Horse Tack and Equipment 18 07-02-2009 11:04 AM
    Tall Boots BluMagic Horse Tack and Equipment 8 02-12-2008 07:17 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0