tips for creating impulsion? - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,465
• Horses: 1
tips for creating impulsion?

I find the best way to get impulsion through the back end is at a sitting trot. I sit back and deep and use a ton of leg, trying to get my horse to move underneath herself with minimal contact. Using a lot of leg seems to do the trick. Stop and start is also helpful too. But other than leg pressure, what other tips create impulsion??

Please help. Thanks!

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future'" ~ Jeremiah 29:11



Jubilee Rose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Horatio, SC
Posts: 743
• Horses: 8
I have found through my experience, that if you have your horse in a good collected headset and really -use- your seat (like you said, sitting trot) it really drives that hind end underneith them creating the perfect frame.

When i post the trot, i almost rock forward when i stand up to help push the horse's hind end underneith them. It gives them the little umph they need, in my opinion =)

When ya sit the trot, dont just sit deep, really rock your seat, rub the stitches off of the pommel/seat! LOL! and make sure you have a good headset/collection going to get them to move into that bridle.

Practice makes perfect!

-Skippy! The Wonder Horse!
http://www.thewonderhorse.com
Skippy! is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 463
• Horses: 0
Holding the horses mouth and 'pushing the horse through the bit' works at any gate. It will get the horse to lift its back up and reach underneath of its self.

Brittany
bgood400 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,465
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy! View Post
I have found through my experience, that if you have your horse in a good collected headset and really -use- your seat (like you said, sitting trot) it really drives that hind end underneith them creating the perfect frame.

When i post the trot, i almost rock forward when i stand up to help push the horse's hind end underneith them. It gives them the little umph they need, in my opinion =)

When ya sit the trot, dont just sit deep, really rock your seat, rub the stitches off of the pommel/seat! LOL! and make sure you have a good headset/collection going to get them to move into that bridle.

Practice makes perfect!
Skippy, thanks so much for your advice. But I actually kind of have to disagree with you. I think the "good collected headset" comes because of impulsion through the back end, not the other way around. Creating a headset before the back end is truly engaged creates stiffness and really creates no true headset at all. Right now I'm trying to really forget about the headset when I ride and concentrate on getting the muscle and suppleness through her back through light contact and lots of leg. I'm not sure if it should be "rocking the seat" but sitting quietly in perfect balance, but moving with the horse. Sorry if I totally disagreed.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future'" ~ Jeremiah 29:11




Last edited by Jubilee Rose; 02-17-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Jubilee Rose is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Horatio, SC
Posts: 743
• Horses: 8
Ack, i meant to post that another good gate to practice impulsion at is the Walk. Its a good start because you can feel the difference between a regular mosey-ing walk, and a collected hind end engaging walk =)

-Skippy! The Wonder Horse!
http://www.thewonderhorse.com
Skippy! is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Horatio, SC
Posts: 743
• Horses: 8
Jubilee,

When i broke Skippy!, the headset came before the hind end engaging did =) We started him on the standard height headset, and as we would trot, i would hold him slightly and make him move into his bit/bridle, which resulted in the hind end impulsion.

Its what I do with all th horses i train =) From my experience, its easier to get the hind end impulsion with the basic understanding of the headset. The impulsion will definately make the collection more "complete" and effective though!

Do what you and your trainer thinks will work for ya best!

Thanks for the crit! =)

-Skippy! The Wonder Horse!
http://www.thewonderhorse.com

Last edited by Skippy!; 02-17-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarity ^^
Skippy! is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
You never ride FRONT to BACK. You never ride the face - you always ride the back end, first and foremost.

You pull your horses face in, your horse is now going around in a false frame - not utalizing the correct muscles they should be using.

Hind end impulsion does not result from a head being held into a position. Hind end impulsion comes FIRST and foremost through correct, precise, accurate riding through balance, correct and educated aids. Nothing more, nothing less.

SEAT to LEGS to HANDS to SOFTEN. That is preached over and over and over again by top riders such as the O'Connor's. Beth Underhill, Ian Millar, and the list goes on...

You ride the back first, activate it through your seat. Then your legs take over, lifting the back and the ribs, and your outside rein is there to only support to allow that energy you created to recycle back through.

The headset comes last. Always.

Your horse cannot move forward when their face is pulled in or held or forced. The horse becomes stiff via through stiff riders arms/elbows/hands/shoulders. The horse cannot get under himself if he is being held in. The horse cannot move forward and freely if his head is being compacted in.

Leave the face alone. Too many riders think the face comes first, when the face will come on it's own through correct, precise riding through correct aids of the rider.
MIEventer is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Horatio, SC
Posts: 743
• Horses: 8
MIEventer,

In the past when i had tried to utilize the back end without collecting the front, the rearward energy just went straight through the long strung out neck and the front feet didnt follow through well, hence why I did it the other way which has always yielded great success for me in all the horse's i have trained.

So that being said, thats why its my opinion that i got based through my experience ;D the end goal was achieved successfully, so it was a win :)

Best of luck to ya Jubilee! ^_^

-Skippy! The Wonder Horse!
http://www.thewonderhorse.com
Skippy! is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,465
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy! View Post
Jubilee,

When i broke Skippy!, the headset came before the hind end engaging did =) We started him on the standard height headset, and as we would trot, i would hold him slightly and make him move into his bit/bridle, which resulted in the hind end impulsion.

Its what I do with all th horses i train =) From my experience, its easier to get the hind end impulsion with the basic understanding of the headset. The impulsion will definately make the collection more "complete" and effective though!

Do what you and your trainer thinks will work for ya best!

Thanks for the crit! =)
You were probably not forcing him into a frame though, right? Because, yes I agree, that you need basic contact but I think riders should work long and low first. It's impossible for a horse to carry a true frame unless he's developed the muscles through his back end, otherwise it will just be a false, stiff frame. I'm assuming what you mean is teaching him to respond to your hands through light head carriage while working him with lots of leg?

I'm not really sure about impulsion with younger horses, since my horse is a "been there done that" horse. It's just me "getting there" with her. I find when I try to establish a headset first, we just end up in a mess.

Here is basically, in a nutshell, what I do: I ride on a loose rein first at a walk, work at a motivating the walk in both directions where she has to move underneath herself. Then I'll assume rein position and work on bending, with very very light contact and lots of leg to push her forward. When I ask for halt, I should only have to squeeze and she's there on a dime (we're working on this and she's getting so much better).

When I work at the trot, I start on long rein again with basically no contact and lots of leg, getting her to push herself forward from her hindquarters and lift up her back. I can feel her back lifting and getting supple as she starts to step underneath herself. Then I assume hand position and work on bending. I find sometimes she will put herself into a headset herself since she is able to carry herself through her hind end and back all the way to her neck. When I ask her for halt or walk all I should have to do with her is squeeze (with hands) and she's there because she responds well to light hands.

I've been really trying to focus on a back to front method rather then worrying about where her head is at the moment. I figure that after a long, concentrated effort on the back end, and building of those muscles, she will put herself into frame easily and on her own with light contact to hold the frame.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future'" ~ Jeremiah 29:11



Jubilee Rose is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,465
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
You never ride FRONT to BACK. You never ride the face - you always ride the back end, first and foremost.

You pull your horses face in, your horse is now going around in a false frame - not utalizing the correct muscles they should be using.

Hind end impulsion does not result from a head being held into a position. Hind end impulsion comes FIRST and foremost through correct, precise, accurate riding through balance, correct and educated aids. Nothing more, nothing less.

SEAT to LEGS to HANDS to SOFTEN. That is preached over and over and over again by top riders such as the O'Connor's. Beth Underhill, Ian Millar, and the list goes on...

You ride the back first, activate it through your seat. Then your legs take over, lifting the back and the ribs, and your outside rein is there to only support to allow that energy you created to recycle back through.

The headset comes last. Always.

Your horse cannot move forward when their face is pulled in or held or forced. The horse becomes stiff via through stiff riders arms/elbows/hands/shoulders. The horse cannot get under himself if he is being held in. The horse cannot move forward and freely if his head is being compacted in.

Leave the face alone. Too many riders think the face comes first, when the face will come on it's own through correct, precise riding through correct aids of the rider.
Thanks MIEventer. Yes, I agree. So I guess it is more then legs then, if the seat comes first? How do I "activate the back end through the seat"? Is it a slight moving forward of my seat bones?

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future'" ~ Jeremiah 29:11



Jubilee Rose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips? RunicsGirl16 Horse Grooming 12 12-18-2012 05:27 PM
Problems with creating a video. TaMMa89 Technology 4 02-11-2009 03:42 PM
Jumping - No impulsion, help! SallyRC123 Horse Training 7 08-28-2008 08:30 PM
Impulsion Light Bright Horse Training 3 08-28-2008 03:15 PM
Some Tips? ILoveHorses1212 Horse Talk 4 11-06-2007 07:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome