What is english pleasure?

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

What is english pleasure?

This is a discussion on What is english pleasure? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • What is an english pleasure class
  • english pleasure riding

LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-25-2009, 04:46 PM
What is english pleasure?

I have ridden english all my life and I have never heard of the term english pleasure, I know of dressage and show jumping, that's about all that goes on here and maybe the odd hack although I have never seen anyone around me going for a hack.
Sponsored Links
    10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
In my area, English Pleasure is a class at shows around here that is based on the horse's movement/gait, headset, and a bit of conformation as well. Like wise, the 'opposite' class is English Equitation, which is mainly based on the rider- heels down, toes up, chin up, straight back, correct diagonal...etc. Usually, in our pleasures classes, it ends up being 75% on the horse and 25% on the rider. In Equitation, it usually is 90% on the rider, 10% on the horse. It's kinda weird. :)
Anyway, that's what it means to the people at our barn, I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of.
    10-25-2009, 05:16 PM
In the average English pleasure class, the horse perform as a group, exhibiting the walk, trot, and canter, and may also be asked to extend the trot or to perform a in hand gallop . Horses are judged on their manners, performance, quality and conformation. The horse is to give the impression of being a pleasure to ride.
    10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
^There you go. :) lol. Of course, the class also has different 'levels'- walk/trot, walk/trot/canter, sometimes it's divided by age group, at some shows, Western and English are in the same class. Which I don't really appreciate...but that's another rant.
    10-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow, we don't have anything like that over here and english riding is all that is taught, so there is pleasure and equitation, that's mad that they don't have it here but they have it a couple thousand miles away.
    10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
It's also known as Hunter Under Saddle....
    10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
There's also the giated breed type english pleasure, it's kind of like saddle seat.

    10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Never heard of saddle seat, and are there like competitions in all these things, cause over here it is just dressage and showjumping, showing and different breeds.
    10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Equitation is judged on the rider

Under Saddle is on the horse

Pleasure is a mix of both... normally a slow low gate, but not as slow and low as western pleasure but it is supposed to be a horse that doesn't look hard to ride and a rider who isn't working hard and enjoying themselves.
    10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Great, ha still getting used to gait and stuff, its all different lingo on here so its taking me a while to understand it have to keep googling what ye mean. Ill get there but I truely never realised how many different types of english riding there was in america, and that they don't even do those classes in england or ireland

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
english pleasure show - what can I expect? Jubilee Rose Horse Shows 5 02-01-2009 10:55 PM
English/Western Pleasure NyHorseGal English Riding 7 02-01-2009 05:37 PM
Western/English Pleasure Headsets AQHA_MHonora_Pleasure Horse Training 17 07-16-2008 12:52 PM
English Pleasure taybug Horse Shows 3 08-03-2007 10:48 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0