When to use polos - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

When to use polos

This is a discussion on When to use polos within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
      #11
    Trained
    I'm not a fan of polos for exercise at all. Have seen one unravel on a girls horse at a competitions and the poor bugger flipped over and nearly broke his leg.
    They have their place, as MIEventer said, they are good for stables to support injuries. I'll wrap a leg (and the corresponding leg) for short periods of time for injury support, but for anything that is going to need medical attention for over a few days I stick to gauze and elastoplast as polos can cause horrible bruising and tissue damage if left on for extended periods or if wrapped incorrectly.
    They are also difficult to put on, if you don't wrap them perfectly, with even pressure the whole way down the wrap you can cause serious injury. Ever seen a bandage bruise? Google it, they're not pretty and take a hell of a lot of effort to clear up.

    I stick with boots, neoprene offers a good level of protection, my boots sling under the fetlock for protection and to stop them slipping.

    The ONLY time I use bandages while working a horse, is when I am making a sale video or presenting a horse to perpective buyers if the horse is to be sold as a dressage horse. And always white/champagne bandages, simply for appearance, gives them the appearance of having bigger movement.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
      #12
    Banned
    Quote:
    If you're useig PVC poles which is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do
    whatt...? pvc poles are the safest things to use to jump.. no hard impact like wooden poles and they fall when tapped .. how do you figure theyre most dangerous? If that were the case shows woulden't use them.
         
        01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
      #13
    Trained
    PVC poles can be dangerous if they are not well maintained. A horse can put a hoof through them and get it stuck. If they are of good quality, VERY strong PVC and kept out of the elements, then they're not so bad. But personally I'd rather wood, they are heavier but a horse can't put a hoof through them
         
        01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
      #14
    Banned
    To each their own but I've never had a pvc pole break on me. I use the smaller ones too. The big big ones are the ones that break easiest. I do have some wood rails but I only use them for smaller jumps. The bigger ones I use the pvcs bc if she strikes it or misscalculates she wont get hurt.
         
        01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnprincess    
    whatt...? pvc poles are the safest things to use to jump.. no hard impact like wooden poles and they fall when tapped .. how do you figure theyre most dangerous? If that were the case shows woulden't use them.
    I've never been to show that didn't use wood poles??
    If your scared your horse might get hurt, then you really shouldn't be jumping that height.
         
        01-02-2010, 05:57 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    I'm not a fan of polos for exercise at all. Have seen one unravel on a girls horse at a competitions and the poor bugger flipped over and nearly broke his leg.
    They have their place, as MIEventer said, they are good for stables to support injuries. I'll wrap a leg (and the corresponding leg) for short periods of time for injury support, but for anything that is going to need medical attention for over a few days I stick to gauze and elastoplast as polos can cause horrible bruising and tissue damage if left on for extended periods or if wrapped incorrectly.
    They are also difficult to put on, if you don't wrap them perfectly, with even pressure the whole way down the wrap you can cause serious injury. Ever seen a bandage bruise? Google it, they're not pretty and take a hell of a lot of effort to clear up.

    I stick with boots, neoprene offers a good level of protection, my boots sling under the fetlock for protection and to stop them slipping.

    The ONLY time I use bandages while working a horse, is when I am making a sale video or presenting a horse to perpective buyers if the horse is to be sold as a dressage horse. And always white/champagne bandages, simply for appearance, gives them the appearance of having bigger movement.
    to me if a horse freaks out because a polol unravels on them (which I have only ever had happen once when my horse ripped it) then they need to be desenzitized or trained a little more.... but that's just my opinion.

    Polos should never unravel tho, if they do they are either not wrapped correctly or really bad polos which shouldnt be used. But I find that's only for dressage. I don't like to use them when I jump high because they could hook on the jump or some freak accident, and that could mean bad things, lol.
         
        01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
      #17
    Banned
    Quote:
    I've never been to show that didn't use wood poles??
    If your scared your horse might get hurt, then you really shouldn't be jumping that height.

    Who said im scared?? I feel safer using something that will fall if she clips it... common sence.


    Quote:
    to me if a horse freaks out because a polol unravels on them (which I have only ever had happen once when my horse ripped it) then they need to be desenzitized or trained a little more.... but that's just my opinion.

    i will admit one of mine did unravel once and ginger couldent care less lol. She's such a good girl. Luna on the otherhand prob woulda bolted lol.

    Polos should never unravel tho, if they do they are either not wrapped correctly or really bad polos which shouldnt be used. But I find that's only for dressage. I don't like to use them when I jump high because they could hook on the jump or some freak accident, and that could mean bad things, lol.
    the one of the set I used is a wierd cotton, there lime green , I have the same ones in black and my black ones never move. The lime ones seem to slip down. So I don't use them any more.


    I just think for higher jumps they should be able to fall faster and easier if they are clipped. If some ones jumping, lets say 4 ft wooden rails and the horse clips it and it dosent fall, the horse could flip over . Just saying. I like my pvc poles.
         
        01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Wood poles fall very easily, in my expercine. Common sence would tell you anything that's not solid will fall

    The risk of flipping really on comes on XC courses
         
        01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
      #19
    Foal
    Most of the barns around here use polos for flatting and booties for jumping. I think polos offer support similar to ace bandages - which, as far as I know, help me out!

    I think it's very important to know how to wrap properly because if done incorrectly, you could do some major damage to your horse's legs!
         
        01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnprincess    
    to each their own but I've never had a pvc pole break on me. I use the smaller ones too. The big big ones are the ones that break easiest. I do have some wood rails but I only use them for smaller jumps. The bigger ones I use the pvcs bc if she strikes it or misscalculates she wont get hurt.
    Yep and I'd say your's are in pretty good condition? I'm saying that they're ok as long as they're not badly weathered. The ones that are badly sun bleached are very thin and fragile, if I hoof goes through one the horse could end up with a very nasty cut. But if they're in good nick then they're all good ;)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Polos SeeinSpotz Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 11-16-2009 07:32 PM
    polos vs splint boots wordstoasong Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-21-2009 10:25 PM
    how do make your own polos??? danielle0901 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 06-29-2009 03:54 PM
    Tack for sale (Polos, Pessoa Saddle Pad...) EquitationStar Tack and Equipment Classifieds 7 04-16-2009 01:22 AM
    Washing Tack--Polos,wraps ect.. Orient5 Horse Tack and Equipment 5 08-17-2008 01:54 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0