Where your hands should be riding English - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Where your hands should be riding English

This is a discussion on Where your hands should be riding English within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Where should your hands be when riding a horse
  • How are your hands when riding english

Like Tree32Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-07-2012, 01:55 AM
  #21
Green Broke
Thanks a lot again guys :) so I rode western today because I just realised that I have a new bit that I was going to ride in for this show and I hadn't used in in like ever. So I rode two handed first to get cheyenne's head set before I went to one hand like I would in a show. Anyway hen I went two handed my elbows were bent perfectly. No idea why but my elbows and hands were in perfect position. So I have no idea why they're so low in english at all...really weird.

And just because I'm pleased and I NEED to share this: cheyenne was AMAZING when I went one handed. By the end of the ride I just needed to lift my hand up and her head was down and she was collected. It was amazing! So proud of her, neither of us knew how to do this before the ride so I got my instructor out there to give me a couple tips and once I got the hang of it I kept doing it and I was sooooo pleased. Just thought i'd share because it made me so happy :) I'll see if I can get pictures at the show tomorrow of us :)
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-07-2012, 02:15 AM
  #22
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaIW    
Someone was talking about having ha 90 degree angle in your elbow - that only works if the horse is collected enough.
No where was anyone addressing the elbows have to be 90 degrees.

If you were referring to my post, I said "See the angle of the elbow, it's closer to 90 degrees than 180 (flat)..........If you throw your arms away, you can't easily engage your core and take advantage of your seat."

Which is exactly what tinyliny addressed when she said "and have you arms way out in front of you, locked in a straight line. That would be incorrect."

There has to be bend in your elbow, in order you to be soft and giving, rather than being yanked around or leaning on your reins or worse pulling your horse into a forced headset.

OP, I'm glad you're figuring it out! It's so nice when things come together.
     
    04-07-2012, 02:31 AM
  #23
Super Moderator
That will be nice to see your show photos. I am going to do a podunk local show this summer, but I have NO show clothes, so it wont' be fancy. And I can only do the very lowest dressage levels. But, I'll give it a go.

Maybe you sit more upright in your western saddle, which encourages one to keep their elbows to the core more.
     
    04-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  #24
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaIW    
I agree with tinylily!

This is how I hold my hands,



I agree as well with TinyLiny's description of position, and have to add that based on the above photos, I think your arm position is lovely and exemplary of just that description of angle/"line" from elbow/forearm/wrist/through bit; appears perfect!

IMO very good riding to emulate for anyone in this discipline! Not only that, but your vertical body position appears to be about "perfect" as well! Shoulder in alignment with hip down through heel...a lovely position to emulate!
     
    04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
  #25
Green Broke
So I got videos of my show on youtube that you can critique (nicely please)
First one is in a Road Hack class
Second one is English Pleasure


     
    04-09-2012, 01:36 AM
  #26
Super Moderator
Can't see much as it's so far away. A few times when you passed by pretty close I though you looked really good! Nice turnout, too.
     
    04-09-2012, 01:41 AM
  #27
Green Broke
Yeah my mom couldn't figure out how to zoom on the camera :p Thanks though :) Were my hands in the right place-ish that you could see?
     
    04-09-2012, 01:53 AM
  #28
Super Moderator
Really could not see, but my overall impression was of a rider who was really put together well! How did the show go? How did YOU feel about it?
     
    04-09-2012, 01:59 AM
  #29
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyennes mom    
Thanks a lot again guys :) so I rode western today because I just realised that I have a new bit that I was going to ride in for this show and I hadn't used in in like ever. So I rode two handed first to get cheyenne's head set before I went to one hand like I would in a show. Anyway hen I went two handed my elbows were bent perfectly. No idea why but my elbows and hands were in perfect position. So I have no idea why they're so low in english at all...really weird.

And just because I'm pleased and I NEED to share this: cheyenne was AMAZING when I went one handed. By the end of the ride I just needed to lift my hand up and her head was down and she was collected. It was amazing! So proud of her, neither of us knew how to do this before the ride so I got my instructor out there to give me a couple tips and once I got the hang of it I kept doing it and I was sooooo pleased. Just thought i'd share because it made me so happy :) I'll see if I can get pictures at the show tomorrow of us :)
I am a western rider so I shouldn't even be posting here, but I personally have noticed that with a curb bit I keep my hands higher than with a snaffle. It's almost like with a snaffle I am trying to compensate for the lack of a shank by lowering my hands. And then in a curb I don't have to compensate so I ride "normal." I don't know if you were riding in a curb for western, but that is what came to mind when I read your post.
     
    04-09-2012, 03:19 AM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
really could not see, but my overall impression was of a rider who was really put together well! How did the show go? How did YOU feel about it?
Thanks so much! :) I thought the show went quite well compared to my previous shows. I'm very pleased that I've finally got my collection for the most part...my transitions need a bit of work, especially staying collected throughout them, buti thought cheyenne and I were doing a lot better than we used to and we're finally starting to work as a team :) so I'm quite pleased with it :) another thing is that chey and I weren't galloping instead of cantering, that's a step-up haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
I am a western rider so I shouldn't even be posting here, but I personally have noticed that with a curb bit I keep my hands higher than with a snaffle. It's almost like with a snaffle I am trying to compensate for the lack of a shank by lowering my hands. And then in a curb I don't have to compensate so I ride "normal." I don't know if you were riding in a curb for western, but that is what came to mind when I read your post.
Oh yes, that would make sense...in english I've been using a kimberwick bit and western I've been using a ported shank so that would make a lot of sense with the shank in' there. :) thanks :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding without your Hands. How? Lonannuniel English Riding 18 03-16-2011 08:54 PM
my riding - heavy hands:( Pro Horse Riding Critique 3 07-26-2010 11:31 PM
FS: English Tack - Please take off my hands - Prices Reduced thebp Tack and Equipment Classifieds 28 06-23-2010 10:12 PM
Riding with my seat, not my hands. Gillian Dressage 19 06-13-2009 12:53 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0