Would this fix if??
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding

Would this fix if??

This is a discussion on Would this fix if?? within the English Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
      #1
    Weanling
    Question Would this fix if??

    As some may know, I have a problem with leaning forward, which makes me fall off from leaning so much. I read somewhere that if I lift my hands up more, that it will be easier to bring my shoulders back and lean. Is this true? I'm really looking forward to finding out this Sunday and can't wait! I will post a video in the comments. =D
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-20-2011, 03:02 AM
      #2
    Super Moderator
    And I am looking forward to seeing your video! I love the energy that you have toward learning to ride. YOu have such a will to improve!
         
        08-20-2011, 03:26 AM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HorseLover Hunter    
    As some may know, I have a problem with leaning forward, which makes me fall off from leaning so much. I read somewhere that if I lift my hands up more, that it will be easier to bring my shoulders back and lean. Is this true? I'm really looking forward to finding out this Sunday and can't wait! I will post a video in the comments. =D
    I do not believe that the answer to fixing a problem of leaning forward is raising your hands. In fact, I think that you are already off balance by leaning too far forward, and that raising your hands will further raise your center of gravity, throwing you even more off balance. Which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve: a low center of gravity.

    I find that ground work in 20 meter circles helps me focus on balancing and sitting up tall. I often add in 1, 2, or 4 cavaletti poles (at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock) as well to changes things up. Think "Hands low, sit back," and drive forward with hips. It feels like you are leaning back but it helps to have someone on the ground to tell you when your upper body is truly vertical.

    I'm interested to hear with others have to say!
         
        08-20-2011, 09:45 AM
      #4
    Foal
    Interesting theory! I have the same problem. My posture was fine when I rode saddleseat but when I switched to huntseat, I started leaning forward. :/
         
        08-20-2011, 07:38 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    When I know I have a riding position issue, I just have my trainer and/or the people who watch me ride yell at me often during my ride to remind me what to do. XD
         
        08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
      #6
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IslandWave    
    When I know I have a riding position issue, I just have my trainer and/or the people who watch me ride yell at me often during my ride to remind me what to do. XD
    I don't even have to tell them, they know to yell. Yes, best way to correct a position issue is have someone on the ground to remind you.
         
        08-20-2011, 09:50 PM
      #7
    Foal
    See if your trainer will put you on a lunge line for a lesson or two and take away your reins. Have him/her make you go through the gaits and positions with arms beside you, arms stretched out like an airplane and then arms reaching straight out into the air. Without your arms in their normal position, you'll find your posture and balance right themselves real quick.

    I thought I had fantastic balance until my trainer did that to me.
         
        08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Opus    
    See if your trainer will put you on a lunge line for a lesson or two and take away your reins. Have him/her make you go through the gaits and positions with arms beside you, arms stretched out like an airplane and then arms reaching straight out into the air. Without your arms in their normal position, you'll find your posture and balance right themselves real quick.

    I thought I had fantastic balance until my trainer did that to me.
    My trainer does did this with me our past lesson and had me add three inches to what I normally hold because I was becoming "dependent" on my reins. Well holy cow did it work!! Also try relaxing your shoulders and sinking your weight into your heels that should also really help too. Good luck I hope tha tyou find a solution
         
        08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    It does help but you have to just keep nagging yourself and catch yourself when you're leaning.
         
        08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
      #10
    Banned
    Different things help different people.

    That might help you. It is worth a try.
         

    Tags
    forward, hands, leaning, lift, problem

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0