opinion on which equine related major to enroll.. - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Equine Careers and Education

opinion on which equine related major to enroll..

This is a discussion on opinion on which equine related major to enroll.. within the Equine Careers and Education forums, part of the Horse Resources category

    Like Tree7Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
      #11
    Trained
    I did the equine science. Personally? I think they're all a waste of time. It's like operating a hoe or a dozer. You won't get hired by a piece of paper, but by the experiance you have.
    If you're going the horse avenue, go work at a well known barn or trainer. I learned WAY more, and got all my training people from that experiance without ever mentioning my Major.

    I would go to school, but get something like a bachelor of science or go the whole nine yards to become a large animal vet,or something else that interests you because trust me, the horse industry is NOT kind to anyone who isn't a millionaire and just starting out.
    KissTheRing and Canterklutz like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    I did the equine science. Personally? I think they're all a waste of time. It's like operating a hoe or a dozer. You won't get hired by a piece of paper, but by the experiance you have.
    If you're going the horse avenue, go work at a well known barn or trainer. I learned WAY more, and got all my training people from that experiance without ever mentioning my Major.

    I would go to school, but get something like a bachelor of science or go the whole nine yards to become a large animal vet,or something else that interests you because trust me, the horse industry is NOT kind to anyone who isn't a millionaire and just starting out.
    what all do you mean by not kind to people just starting out or who arent milionaires? I do know alot of people in the horse industry can be uptight and down right aweful sometimes..
         
        12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Get a degree in something that makes you employable outside of the horse industry.


    "Horse college" is generally not well looked upon by people in the horse industry, to start. I would suggest going to a university and getting a degree in business (even Ag Business).
         
        12-30-2012, 11:02 PM
      #14
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlottaBitCountry    
    what all do you mean by not kind to people just starting out or who arent milionaires? I do know alot of people in the horse industry can be uptight and down right aweful sometimes..
    I was talking financial. I wouldn't plan on making a career out of any of those choices, aside from large animal vet.
    There's a hundred thousand trainers and barn managers out there and unless you have ALOT of capitol to back you up, you'll probably be looking for part time work.
    I thought I had it made in the shade! Then... Well, I think I'm heading back to school. Doing something non horsey. LOL

    You will meet a lot of awful/bad people, but you'll meet a lot of great people, too. I just ignore all the bad ones as best as I can.
    Not to sound like a downer... But I did the same thing and I wish I had done it differently. Like taking my bachelor of science (which is a great pre-med course, by the way!) so I had something to fall back on when I was struggling with bills, etc.
    I LOVE my horses, but there is no way that they pay for themselves. My real job pays for my horsey hobby. LOL
         
        12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WSArabians    
    I was talking financial. I wouldn't plan on making a career out of any of those choices, aside from large animal vet.
    There's a hundred thousand trainers and barn managers out there and unless you have ALOT of capitol to back you up, you'll probably be looking for part time work.
    I thought I had it made in the shade! Then... Well, I think I'm heading back to school. Doing something non horsey. LOL

    You will meet a lot of awful/bad people, but you'll meet a lot of great people, too. I just ignore all the bad ones as best as I can.
    Not to sound like a downer... But I did the same thing and I wish I had done it differently. Like taking my bachelor of science (which is a great pre-med course, by the way!) so I had something to fall back on when I was struggling with bills, etc.
    I LOVE my horses, but there is no way that they pay for themselves. My real job pays for my horsey hobby. LOL

    Would you say the same for like rehabilitation therapist or like massage therapy? Or something along the lines of reproduction? Jc
         
        12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Do what you want- But be prepared to work your booty off =)

    The professional horse world is a hard mistress! Experience is the key!
    Flipping horses on your own can be taxing-

    I personally would get a business degree- It will apply to every job you come a crossed. Really isnt that bad of a degree to go through either- you'll learn very important life skills! Minor in management or in vice versa And you'll be set for life!

    Hope You have a fruitful horse career =)
         
        12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlottaBitCountry    
    would you say the same for like rehabilitation therapist or like massage therapy? Or something along the lines of reproduction? Jc


    Definitely for the first two. I know a few Massage Therapist who have never had a client since they've gotten certified.
    Reproduction is reputation. You can be good, but it'll take awhile. And if you factor in where the horse market is right now and the amount of stallions being gelded and big farms dispersing... I don't see it being a particularly resourceful practice - most of the horses being examined nowadays for reproductive exams I would imagine are being done by large animal vets in local clinics.

    Now, don't let me completely discourage you. If that's what you want, you give 'er hell. Just be prepared to be broke for quite a while. LOL
         
        12-31-2012, 12:28 AM
      #18
    Weanling
    Yeah, hmm. Lots of good opinions to think about.

    I havent gone to school yet because I wanted to make sure its something I really enjoy doing, I didnt want to get into school and flip flop around like all of my other classmates did right after highschool.

    I would love to work with horses is the main deal, anything after that just adds interest I think.

    I also would be willing to relocate to somewhere the job is more needed as well, if that makes a difference..

    Any thoughts on those two things?? Or other suggestions lol
         
        12-31-2012, 03:45 AM
      #19
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlottaBitCountry    
    i also would be willing to relocate to somewhere the job is more needed as well, if that makes a difference..
    That goes straight back to what I posted about earlier — if you're coming out of vet school and you're willing to go someplace where a large-animal vet is needed, you'll get your college loans paid off by the government within a few years.

    It wouldn't be all equine — probably a lot of beef cattle and other livestock — but you'd still see a lot of horses and you'd be doing a great service for people around you.

    And your profile says you're in Burwell, Neb. ... your county is one which the VMLFP website lists as having a severe shortage of large-animal practitioners at this time: http://www.nifa.usda.gov/nea/animals..._nebraska.html
         
        12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman    
    That goes straight back to what I posted about earlier if you're coming out of vet school and you're willing to go someplace where a large-animal vet is needed, you'll get your college loans paid off by the government within a few years.

    It wouldn't be all equine probably a lot of beef cattle and other livestock but you'd still see a lot of horses and you'd be doing a great service for people around you.

    And your profile says you're in Burwell, Neb. ... your county is one which the VMLFP website lists as having a severe shortage of large-animal practitioners at this time: Designated Nebraska VMLRP Shortage Situations
    wow, thanks for looking that up that was nice of you! Yeah, I wouldnt mind working with cattle and livestock either I just want to stick to ranchy animals, not so much cats and dogs.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    going to college- equine ideas for a major or minor?? AlottaBitCountry Equine Careers and Education 5 12-31-2012 03:05 PM
    Major, major hip pain.. (not riding related) LovesMyDunnBoy Rider Wellness 5 06-29-2012 11:14 AM
    Equine Major: Soph. Year .Delete. Member Journals 85 12-18-2011 09:42 AM
    A day in the life of an Equine Major .Delete. Member Journals 42 05-17-2011 05:46 PM
    My equine related pencil sketches :) MustangCountry17 Horse Artwork 8 01-28-2011 02:52 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0