Helmets that are okay in eventing! - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Eventing

Helmets that are okay in eventing!

This is a discussion on Helmets that are okay in eventing! within the Eventing forums, part of the English Riding category
  • The best eventing skull?
  • Best skull caps for eventing

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
  #11
Green Broke
'scuse me but from someone who wears a Charles Owen Pro II Skull Cap, I can attest to the fact that they are NOT ugly when you have the cover on. I use that for the XC and schooling at home and use my old IRH for dressage and stadium. Yeah, the IRH looks better but the skull cap is much safer. 100's of upper level riders can't be wrong!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-25-2009, 08:43 PM
  #12
Yearling
I can't remember where, but I read a study on helmets and their ability to withstand impact and International and Charles Owen helmets came up as two of the best.

One important thing to remember too is, no matter how good of a helmet you buy, if it doesn't fit your particular head well, it won't do you any good. It should be snug, but comportable. When you put it firmly on your head and it isn't buckled under your chin, you should be able to bend forward, looking at your knees and it won't fly off your head. When buckled up and properly adjusted, when you rock it from front to back, it should be snug enough that your eyebrows move. You should not be able to rock it much from side to side. Some helmets are very round and some are more oblong. Try some on before you buy.

Don't buy used, you never know if someone fell on their head or dropped it on a hard surface which destroys the integrity of a helmet.
     
    09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
  #13
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by danastark    
I can't remember where, but I read a study on helmets and their ability to withstand impact and International and Charles Owen helmets came up as two of the best.

One important thing to remember too is, no matter how good of a helmet you buy, if it doesn't fit your particular head well, it won't do you any good. It should be snug, but comportable. When you put it firmly on your head and it isn't buckled under your chin, you should be able to bend forward, looking at your knees and it won't fly off your head. When buckled up and properly adjusted, when you rock it from front to back, it should be snug enough that your eyebrows move. You should not be able to rock it much from side to side. Some helmets are very round and some are more oblong. Try some on before you buy.

Don't buy used, you never know if someone fell on their head or dropped it on a hard surface which destroys the integrity of a helmet.
Thank you!!

All helmets are NOT created equal... some ARE better than others, even if they ALL are ASTM approved. Ever seen the Troxel Sport? It's approved... I wouldn't trust that thing as far as I could throw it.

Anyways, good information here - take note.
     
    09-26-2009, 12:08 AM
  #14
Trained
Quote:

I have personally never seen anyone wear one of those Skull Caps (and I think they're so UGLY!) Has anyone actually seen someone wearing one?? Maybe it's just because I event at the low levels
Pretty much EVERYONE in my area has one, even in the low levels. I love them, and I'll tell you why - when you get to mid and upper levels, you want to beable to see what you are approaching and you want to beable to see the terrain - that is why the helmet was desiend with no visor, gives the rider that much more of a perspective on what they are riding.

I love Skull Caps.
     
    09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerdrew    
'scuse me but from someone who wears a Charles Owen Pro II Skull Cap, I can attest to the fact that they are NOT ugly when you have the cover on. I use that for the XC and schooling at home and use my old IRH for dressage and stadium. Yeah, the IRH looks better but the skull cap is much safer. 100's of upper level riders can't be wrong!
Well I must say the only ones I've seen are in the store which I'm guessing is WITHOUT the cover so maybe that's why they looked so ugly!
     
    09-26-2009, 10:26 PM
  #16
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer    
Pretty much EVERYONE in my area has one, even in the low levels. I love them, and I'll tell you why - when you get to mid and upper levels, you want to beable to see what you are approaching and you want to beable to see the terrain - that is why the helmet was desiend with no visor, gives the rider that much more of a perspective on what they are riding.

I love Skull Caps.
Really?? I have yet to see one in my area...but again like I said, could just be because I'm only doing schooling shows/low levels...
     
    09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Haha maybe HITS. They definitely look odd without the covers but they are great. They fit really well and it's the safest I've ever felt in a helmet.

A bunch of people in my area use them; including my trainer. Many people have the skull cap for XC and the GR8 for dressage/stadium. I haven't done a recognized event in mine yet but at the schooling events I just use it in all 3 phases. I will use my IRH for dressage/stadium and my skull cap for XC when I do a recognized
     
    09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
  #18
Green Broke
I adore my Troxel. Just used it on xc A few hours ago actually. I do plan on getting a skull cap soon. They will provide the most protection to your head in a falling situation.
     
    09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
  #19
Trained
Hey Drew - many here actually use their Skull for all 3 phases. I'll even go to a dressage comp *Glass-Ed* and I can pin point the eventers, because they are using their skull caps.

It is perfectly acceptable at lower levels.

Just slide your colors on your skull for CC, and then slide a black cover for dressage and stadium. Very normal here.
     
    09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
  #20
Green Broke
I have in unrecognized events, but my trainer will not allow me to use it for dressage and stadium in USEA events. She says it is unprofessional and doesn't belong there. :/

STORMY!!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR WIN!!!!!! Hehe I've been stalking livescores.
Congratulate Ann for me too!

Sorry, that was OT.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parelli and helmets iridehorses Natural Horsemanship 43 09-20-2009 06:23 PM
Helmets MIEventer Horse Tack and Equipment 28 07-16-2009 11:15 AM
GPA Helmets MoonlightEm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 05-18-2009 06:16 PM
Helmets .Delete. Horse Riding 83 03-12-2008 09:38 AM
Helmets Vidaloco Horse Tack and Equipment 17 12-31-2007 07:47 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0